Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What is this wooden box with wires?

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 28/09/2020 19:05

It's in a cupboard on my first floor, very high up.

Random Google strings have resulted in my wondering if it's a back box for lighting from about the 40s.

But I couldn't find photos of that.

What is this wooden box with wires? What is this wooden box with wires? What is this wooden box with wires?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Smallsteps88 · 28/09/2020 19:06

Phone line?

Please
or

Tolleshunt · 28/09/2020 19:08

I’d have thought it’s an old phone line as well

Please
or

Justaboy · 28/09/2020 19:12

Looks like a couple of large 1.5 Volt batteries possible to do wiht a internal phone system..

Please
or

Footle · 28/09/2020 19:13

I can't see it that clearly but it reminds me of a kitchen I once knew that had a row of bells to alert ( long dead ) servants that they were wanted in one room or another. Don't get rid of it - it might come in handy if you find yourself with Staff.

Please
or

Justaboy · 28/09/2020 19:13

Or possibeyl a bell system for calling the maids ands staff?.

Please
or

AmandaHugenkiss · 28/09/2020 19:26

DP says he thinks it’s a battery and a bell, which isn’t helpful 😂 but potentially related to old telephone line.

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 28/09/2020 19:28

Thanks, all! The house is from about 1870 so it could be something like that. I think they did have staff but not loads. It's not a super massive house.

So if I put things on the shelf next to it, they won't go on fire?

I never noticed the shelf before. I've been here 3 years!

I was hoping it might be a safe so I could have a long running thread about what might be in it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Justaboy · 28/09/2020 23:44

You could post a few more pictures close up ones of the tops of the batteies and any makers names?.

Please
or

SabrinaThwaite · 29/09/2020 07:07

Repeater system for a door bell or telephone?

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 29/09/2020 07:24

I'm wondering if it is some kind of telephone/intercom. We are dismantling a shed which has similar wires in it.

It's hard to get good photos as the shelf is right over a lightbulb so it's like staring into the sun, and it is stuck there with the wires. I couldn't see makers' names but will have another look.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FixTheBone · 29/09/2020 07:31

The box is a battery, the glass containers are for electrolyte with the graphite rod likely to be an anode in the centre.

Please
or

Karwomannghia · 29/09/2020 07:38

Growing up, my friend’s house had an old call system for servants. It was brilliant, you had a little push button in the bedrooms and a display in the kitchen to show which room was calling. I could do with one now to call the teenagers as opposed to bellowing or texting. It would have to work the other way though, I wouldn’t be up for running up to deliver more toast when summoned by the bell!
It didn’t look like that though OP! just to eliminate that from your ideas!

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 29/09/2020 08:44

An electrician just looked at it and thinks it's an old bell.

But absolutely- the one's I've seen still in place have been like a system of pulleys and bells in one room, with little bells by the fireplaces of the other rooms.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HattonsMustard · 29/09/2020 08:47

There is a great reddit board where people find stuff and ask what the hell is this? It is full of weird and wonderful things.

Please
or

Hathertonhariden · 29/09/2020 08:48

I assume the wires in the house and wires in the shed are linked. Way of getting the attention of the person in the shed.

Please
or

Karwomannghia · 29/09/2020 08:52

@SuperLoudPoppingAction

An electrician just looked at it and thinks it's an old bell.

But absolutely- the one's I've seen still in place have been like a system of pulleys and bells in one room, with little bells by the fireplaces of the other rooms.

My friend’s one was a wired one, not bells with pulleys, like little round doorbells.
Please
or

Karwomannghia · 29/09/2020 08:54

Like these

What is this wooden box with wires?
Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 29/09/2020 09:06

Yep - we had those by the fireplace in the house I grew up in.no remnants of them here but it has been decorated/renovated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SisyphusDad · 29/09/2020 09:34

It's the Time Machine from Dark!

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 29/09/2020 10:04

I want it to be that.

Second electrician thinks it's the front door bell, which makes sense. There is the remnant of a button for it on the front door.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.