Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Big beautiful windows

CadburySpira · 19/07/2019 15:06

I don't know whether I am strange but I love looking out of windows, I'm strangely drawn to them, doesn't matter where I am, I want to be looking out of the window! Preferably to a lovely view, but also I just like to be nosy! DH and I are hoping to move house this year or next and I would dearly love a bay window, and also low windows/french doors/patio/bifolds into the garden. I also love crittal windows, especially the black framed ones that are fashionable at the moment.

We currently live in a small 1970s terrace which is nothing special but the big picture windows we have really make it for me! We have a big picture window at the front looking onto fields, most of the neighbours on our row have bricked up the bottom of theirs to allow for new smaller windows which I don't understand at all.

I hate having big immovable furniture up against windows as it means you can't get right up to them to look out. I have my desk up against my window in my home office, great for a view from my seat, but it does annoy me too that I can't get a full view down to the garden below.

I've attached some pics of lovely windows, how lovely does this window seat nook look?! Does anyone else have an obsession with windows? Would anyone care to share their favourite window in their house, or pics they have seen?

Big beautiful windows Big beautiful windows Big beautiful windows
OP's posts:
Please
or

Bluntness100 · 19/07/2019 15:10

There are nice but I can't say I've an obsession with Windows.

Please
or

CadburySpira · 19/07/2019 15:13

I know it sounds weird as a sentence...I sound claustrophobic which I'm actually not, I do have seasonal affected disorder though I think!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PolarBearOnARaft · 19/07/2019 16:53

We've just put an offer in on a house where I think I'd love an extension with black framed crittal windows overlooking the garden.

I love the idea that they set a frame for the garden.

Love a window.

First proper garden, I'm absolutely so desperate that the offer gets accepted.

Please
or

CadburySpira · 19/07/2019 17:08

That would be fantastic, make sure you have a nice seating area that you can look out from! I love when the flooring seems to continue from inside to outside too. Also don't forget space either side/above the frames incase you need curtains or blinds so they can fully stack back out of the way.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bobbypinseverywhere · 19/07/2019 17:16

My family always say that ‘windows are the eyes of the property, and thru them you can see the soul of the home’

A bit woo but between us we have done a lots of different home renovations and it is these details that stand out. Our current place has that brown upvc but can’t afgord to paint it Sad

Please
or

Puppylucky · 19/07/2019 17:55

I get where you are coming from. I bough a previous house on the strength of a massive picture window in the main bedroom that made it feel like sleeping in a tree house

Please
or

NationMcKinley · 19/07/2019 18:14

I totally get you, Cadbury. I love windows. My dream is to have a double aspect bedroom. If we ever do an attic conversion this is what I’ll do with a Juliet balcony.

Please
or

CadburySpira · 19/07/2019 20:47

Ooh glad their are some other people who get me, I was beginning to think I was a complete weirdo! I love architecture anyway so I guess that’s part of it, but I also really love just observing the world through the window. It annoys me so much when windows are too high to see out of from a seated position.

Brown upvc really is the worst bobby, I feel for you! Is it at least white on the inside or are both sides brown?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Xiaoxiong · 19/07/2019 20:56

I also love windows!! And we are moving into a place in August with HUGE ones, (except, oddly, one bedroom that just has two tiny ones high up in the walls like a prison cell). I can't wait!! I'll see if I have a non-identifying photo or two.

Big beautiful windows Big beautiful windows Big beautiful windows
Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 19/07/2019 21:04

We live in a 1950's house so we are quite lucky to have big bay windows. We also have 2 rooms that are double aspect, our lounge/dining room and our son's bedroom, and the changing light during the day is really lovely in those rooms.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.