Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

mam29 · 29/06/2013 08:41

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

OP's posts:
Please
or

insanityscratching · 16/07/2013 14:12

When ds left his ASD unit after five years I sent a cheque to the head of the unit asking that they use the money as they saw fit He phoned to say that they would be purchasing a piece of equipment for the unit so that they would remember ds each time it was used.

Please
or

auntiezzzzz · 16/07/2013 14:14

That's lovely insanity. Yes I'll do that. Thanks.

Please
or

acsec · 16/07/2013 21:26

I love a heartfelt thank you note or card :)

Handmade gifts are lovely, please no mugs or ornaments though!

Please
or

BlackeyedSusan · 16/07/2013 22:11

my favourite prresents are a plastic box covered with glitter and plastic jewels, chosen by the child in question

a minature rose bush with hand written message by a reception child.

and a mug with a forever friends teddy on.

Please
or

lottieandmia · 16/07/2013 22:32

Thanks for the advice on this thread - I bought a gift voucher which was well received.

Please
or

Riv · 16/07/2013 22:58

I don't expect anything. I''m doing my job and I do get paid for it, but it's lovely to get a card or even better a note saying thanks - preferably home made by the pupil.
One year I got a real lemon a tiny can of slimline tonic and a minature bottle of gin (the one drink type). Lovely. (grin)
Anything expensive (over a fiver) makes me feel uncomfortable. Anything chosen or, even better, made by your DC is particularly special

Please
or

JennyWren · 17/07/2013 03:02

I am planning to take ice creams in for the staff room at lunchtime. The last week of term has crept up on me and it has occurred to me that they'll probably be the best thing I can arrange in a hurry!

Please
or

HorryIsUpduffed · 17/07/2013 07:35

Ooh Jenny that does sound good. An old boss of mine used to send his PA out to the ice cream van on super hot days and it was always vastly appreciated!

Please
or

MABS · 17/07/2013 10:28

always champagne, for his 3 teachers, head and matron. He broke up in late June and wrote personal notes to all of them too, albeit reluctantly!

Please
or

NigellaEllaElla · 17/07/2013 10:34

I have bought DS1's teacher a gift voucher for 2 seats in the deluxe screen of the local cinema with popcorn and drinks. Thought it would be a nice treat during the holidays.

Please
or

MangoJuiceAddict · 17/07/2013 10:48

Every year I usually go for the fail safe option of flowers, a homemade 'thank you' card made by DD and a box of chocolates, maybe an M&S voucher if the teacher has been particularly helpful that year. Not particularly exciting or original but everybody likes flowers and chocolates. And my DD makes fantastic cards.

Please
or

alispu · 17/07/2013 12:09

Hi - as a teacher a lovely card with a geniune message of thanks is really appreciated and something to be treasured or recycled appropriately (beautiful cards always go down well)

Please
or

littlemrssleepy · 17/07/2013 12:11

We got these Bargain at £3.
And a homemade card.

Please
or

GW297 · 17/07/2013 12:23

Nigella - that's one of my favourite ideas. Another friend does that with popcorn and minstrels 'night out on us!'

Please
or

snigger · 17/07/2013 13:46

I usually gift something as personal as possible to a max of £10 to each individual teacher, and twice that to the school secretary because she's a living goddess.

This year it was gardening gloves (TK Maxx, steal, ex-Laura Ashley, ponce alert) hand cream and organic soap to one, tartan tie (this teacher has a wee 'thing' going on with theme ties, according to DD2) and shortie to another, and a large lidded glass jar full of individually wrapped cakes, biscuits, and penny-tray lollies to the head.

If you think hard and shop in advance you can make up a really personal gift based on that year's feedback for not too much.

I always hope they see that DD, and by extension, I have listened and cared about them as much as they have.

Please
or

clarasebal · 18/09/2013 19:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Please
or

Mumto5kids · 25/06/2015 11:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

mirka25 · 29/11/2017 08:21

Please
or

sadeyedladyofthelowlands63 · 01/12/2017 19:56

Anything homemade by the child, including cards. Failing that, wine! Not mugs (most teachers will have dozens) and not toiletries (I am allergic to most of them so I always regift).

Please
or

slkk · 14/07/2018 14:55

I love mugs and scented candles as gifts :)

Please
or

slkk · 14/07/2018 14:57

My son has loads of staff involved in his care. They usually get a summer holiday back with a magazine, little can of Pima, fan, sun
cream etc....

Please
or

slkk · 14/07/2018 14:57

Bag not back

Please
or

amy092 · 16/07/2018 21:58

Please
or

amy092 · 16/07/2018 21:59

Please
or

Bowerbird5 · 18/07/2018 08:22

NigellaCinema tickets etc is a lovely idea. I would love that.

Flowers are lovely but lots of teachers go away the next day. I know as I work in a school and I have received the flowers from other teachers so as not to waste them. So I would say check first. Plants for the garden are great I love getting them and remember the child every time they flower or I walk around the garden. Pretty trowel sets( L A have lovely ones in sale at present) are also useful for gardeners.
Please don't buy mugs. We get loads. I could supply a tea shop with the amount I have and being sentimental I can't re gift/ charity shop them.
Sandwich shop vouchers would be good for last week or next term.
I like wine gin but check that teacher is not teetotal ask another teacher as they will know😁

Small bags of treats are one of my favourites because thought has gone into it. I have received: two small bottles of wine( one red , one white because mum didn't know which I preferred😄), some savoury nibbles and some sweeties.
A mum with not much money gave me a paper. Cup with individual tea, coffee hot chocolate and some biscuits and a twix. I loved it! Lovely note too.
As gin is popular what about a small flavoured one and a tonic maybe a gin glass and twizzle stick for Headteacher or just the gin! A letter of thanks or a card. Ours go in the staff room for everyone to read if it is about all the staff.

For those rushed you could always buy a tin of lovely biscuits for the first few days back in September. We have two training days to get up to speed with dates, courses, new training and biscuits for coffee break would be very welcome. M&S biscuits are the most popular or a tin with packets of luxury biscuits inside. Shortbread is always welcome too.

I am amazed by some of the gifts in affluent areas. I think I would feel embarassed to receive anything that is over a fiver. Although I did receive a lovely bag last year with my name on and a message about how kind and lovely I was it is in my top ten presents over 25 years. It has been very useful. A local person makes them. The good bag company ones are great too as they are the right length for files so they get carried without moving about and you can get them personalised.

Hope this helps but as others have said the letters and cards are the best.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.