Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

mam29 · 29/06/2013 08:41

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

OP's posts:
Please
or

exoticfruits · 12/07/2013 08:47

It depends which child gives it too you, missbopeep!

Please
or

AbbyR1973 · 12/07/2013 10:52

Ok tell me if this is ok... I wanted to get DS1's absolutely amazing year R teachers a nice present but not embarrassingly high value: I have gone for a bag of goodies approach. It will have a small "pip studio" ceramic bowl with a robin on it, some mini hotel chocolate bars, Cath Kidston hand cream and lip balm and some flower seeds (maybe poppies for WWi next year or forget-me-nots.) I will get DS to write a thank you letter.

Please
or

hhdavies · 12/07/2013 11:32

Jaynebxl I think tea is a lovely idea ... Is it in a nice tin?

No, unfortunately it's not in a tin, but the package is quite nice. Nice tins next year, doesn't everybody like a nice tin? (or is that just me...)

Glad it's not the worst idea I ever had though.

Please
or

sydenhamhiller · 12/07/2013 11:37

Interesting thread, thanks OP!

Kendodd, hope you don't mind me asking about something, just interested.

We've got a long-standing Head leaving, and I've arranged a collection for him, just sent a flyer for book bags saying HT leaving, we'd like to get a gift to show our appreciation, any donations gratefully received. I feel really nervous now - we didn't think anyone would mind... Was it the idea of a collection, or more the bombarding that bothered you.

We really didn't want anyone to feel it was coming from the school, or expected, so the note had a very light touch - but I can see how some people might feel a bit harassed...

Please
or

Iwaswatchingthat · 12/07/2013 11:43

Lottery ticket with a good luck wish.

Please
or

giddywithglee · 12/07/2013 12:17

My DH teaches, so I'm approaching this from the long-suffering wife who has to find homes for all the tat he comes home with (sorry, folks!).

Homemade is great as long as it is good - we've got loads of slightly weird things made by children that it feels mean to throw out but that is crap (again, sorry!).. Bear in mind many teachers have children of their own so already have all the things they come home from school having made! However, he has come home with handmade candles which were beautiful.

Personally, I really appreciate the wine! But actually plants are fab, homemade jams and chutneys, my DH has a sweet tooth so sweets.

And I agree - avoid anything with 'teacher' on it because those things go to the back of the cupboard!

I LOVE the lottery ticket idea, my DH would probably think that was his best present ever!

Please
or

BardOfBarking · 12/07/2013 12:47

I love it when I am bought a ceramic mug with a lid. They are the only kind of cups we are allowed to have in the classroom, even before/after school and they are like gold dust in our staffroom.

I have taught for .... forever! and still have every single letter written to me by children and/or parents. It has always been really special when parents have followed that up with a note to The Head saying that I had been amazing Grin

Please
or

mummamagic · 12/07/2013 13:38

Recipe please??

Please
or

mummamagic · 12/07/2013 13:40

Oh, whoops! Thought my reply requesting recipe would appear directly under the one I was relying to... the one about homemade, crumbly condensed-milk fudge.

Please
or

wherearemysocka · 12/07/2013 13:55

I think anything personal is nice - something your child remembers the teacher saying they liked or something that reminds your child of a fun lesson they had or a topic that interested them. I was so chuffed to get a card in German (I'm a secondary teacher) from some of my year eleven students which included a grammar point I'd been on and on about for the two years I had them!

That said, anything edible is great ;-) - but I agree with all of those who have said the thought means much more than the expense.

Please
or

Lucielou123 · 12/07/2013 14:21

A card with a genuine message of thanks always went down well with me. I was always grateful for any gift but the things that I enjoyed receiving the most were the handmade things, a small stocking at Christmas with some pens and pencils inside and a picture frame that one of my class had decorated with shells she had collected on holiday to make it for me. I still have it in my bathroom nearly 3 years later!

Please
or

Lucielou123 · 12/07/2013 14:27

I also got a fancy jar of olives once... we had been learning about where our food comes from before Christmas and my year 1 class had tasted foods from lots of different countries - I had mentioned that I loved olives as we were tasting them and this one boy kept that memory until the July. So sweet and thoughtful!! A personal touch is always appreciated.

Please
or

badfaketan · 12/07/2013 15:00

Reading this for inspiration.
Want to get something for DS pre-school teacher and on any one day there is usually a teaching assistant,ESL assistant and a student as well.
So need to get 4/5 small things.
DS likes Percy Pigs.Would 5 bags of those be ok,or 5 small 6 choc Hotel du Chocolat packs?

Please
or

101handbags · 12/07/2013 15:37

I can only echo the above - my brother-in-law and sister are both teachers. Wine and chocolate are always good. Particularly as my sister will get about 20 boxes next week and just have to share them. I know it's really unimaginative but it's true. Don't feel you have to get something different/amazing/memorable.

Please
or

claireindevon · 12/07/2013 15:45

Is all this gift giving obligatory then? They are doing paid work they've chosen after all.

Please
or

giddywithglee · 12/07/2013 15:51

Definitely not obligatory, I can't speak for other teachers but my DH definitely doesn't expect gifts.

It is nice to feel appreciated if they've gone that extra mile for a particular child, though.

Please
or

Levvylife · 12/07/2013 16:05

I think I'm just going to make a couple of batches of brownies for them to share. Both kids seem to have about three teachers each so seems the simplest choice...

Please
or

Reastie · 12/07/2013 16:18

YY to a nice thoughtful note in a card being the best present of all.

A tin of cakes/biscuits in the staff room for everyone to help themselves to always goes down very well.

As for wine/chocs - I'd say a pretty safe bet unless you're a teacher like me who doesn't drink and has a special diet and I appreciate the thought when I'm given these.

Personally, I wouldn't eat any homemade things as I'm wary of their provenance (you never know....) but I'm fussy in this respect and I'm sure most people wouldn't think twice about this.

Love the lottery ticket idea - that would be fab (but then depends how strict your morals are as to encouraging betting with explaining it to your DC Wink )

Re: homemade tat gifts, nice idea if they are genuinely nice or lots of time/thought taken to do them (and preferably not that big!) but I can imagine every year 30 homemade gifts would overtake the poor teachers house a bit Grin . I'm secondary so children don't seem bothered about making things for me!

Please
or

grants1000 · 12/07/2013 17:00

"Any gift over £25 must be reported to the HT, LEA & HMRC. The teacher will either not be allowed to accept it or will have to pay tax on the gift.

Big crackdown at the moment. We got emails before the end of term (Scotland)"

Jesus! Party pooping bastards! So Scottish!!Wink

Please
or

exoticfruits · 12/07/2013 17:20

Do Scots buy gifts over £25? Grin

Please
or

puffinnuffin · 12/07/2013 18:23

The nicest (and only present) I got this year is a pot of cress grown by the Nursery children especially for me. They decorated the pot too. That meant so much to me and such a lovely thing to do. They also painted a sweet thank you card.

I am a part time teacher so don't get get gifts/cards/verbal thank you's or anything. However when I was a full time teacher I loved little homemade cards with lovely words. I have kept them all over 20 years. I actually do like mugs and cards with teacher on! Anything personal, not costing very much was lovely. It really is the thought that counts.

At my children's school and also where I work, we were forced into giving 'donations' of £20 for one class and a similar amount for another class, split between the teachers and TA's. The teachers were given over £100 vouchers plus individual presents (even though we were supposed to club together). As a teacher I find this awful- it is completely impersonal, far too much money and way OTT! I can understand possibly if a teacher was leaving and had been there a long time but this seems to be the done thing every year.

Please
or

eviekingston · 12/07/2013 19:05

Ha ha! Was thinking how lovely it was that there was actually a thread appreciating teachers and even considering getting them (gasp!) a small gift when of course on page 5 some cheery soul chimes in with the ' they're just doing their job, why get them a present' comment...ah well, maybe next time we'll get through a whole thread..

Please
or

Periwinkle007 · 12/07/2013 19:13

we have done a collection for the Teacher and TAs in my daughter's class. I hope they don't think it is impersonal PuffinnuffinSad

mind having said that we didn't request a specific amount so people just gave a few pounds and I have tried to buy suitable but personal gifts for the ladies.

we have personalised stickers for the teacher (I know how much my mum used to spend on buying things like that herself when teaching), accessorize jewellery I got in the sale but tailored to their styles so bracelet for one who wears them but not necklaces and necklaces that match the other 2s individual tastes. and then a small M&S voucher as I thought they could then buy one of those meals for £10 things if they wanted to and treat themselves.

It is from about 2/3rds of the parents in the class.

Please
or

PickleFish · 12/07/2013 19:23

I really like vouchers - even for the tiniest amount - to somewhere that they know or think I might shop at/eat at/drink coffee at, because I can always use them and there's no need to have to find places for things that I might not really have chosen myself. I always feel badly if I do end up giving away something that was well-intentioned, but just not something I can find room for or would wear or use, so I do end up keeping it but feel cluttered. Otherwise edible presents also good from that point of view.

I don't expect gifts, but do really appreciate it if I am given something, and especially with a card or verbal thank you.

Please
or

Voodika · 12/07/2013 19:31

Presents are lovely but handmade cards are my absolute favourite. If I'm honest homemade chutney isn't the best idea!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.