Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

calling all teachers what gifts do you love?

mam29 · 29/06/2013 08:41

I wnat to do something for dd1s teachers and support staff but not sure what?

Dds old school was very showy with huge collections like 300quid of shopping vouchers, flowers, chocs and wine.

Was horrible.

Last few few years made some pressies.

or brought something small inexpensive xmas was nice notebook and plant.

I dont want to go ott. So any tips /ideas?

Also would be odd to give token gift to head? dont want her to think im bribing her.

Just new school really do extra mile where as old school dident so most unlike me would rather get it sorted early thinking some sort craft project might look on pinterest.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Oblomov · 12/07/2013 20:18

I have nominated myself to collect the teachers present this year. She is lovely. And she is leaving.
I was thinking m&s jewellery, plus receipt. And then John Lewis vouchers. Plus all children to draw a picture, to thank her, which I will put in a scrapbook. And card for parents to sign.
Now seen the idea of the eBay personalised stamp. I like that.

Please
or

Threewindmills · 12/07/2013 21:04

I got my dc's teacher a box of really special biscuits from biscuiteers and a homemade card

Please
or

yorkshirepuddings · 12/07/2013 21:29

A few years ago I wrote a letter to the HT saying exactly why I was so pleased with the teacher he had and how happy the school made all the children feel. It was very much appreciated - I actually received a lovely letter back, thanking me for my letter.

I am a secondary school teacher so we don't get as many. I did once get a lovely letter from a parent that made me cry. Yesterday I got a homemade keyring which meant a huge amount.

TBH us secondary school teachers accept anything, because the thought that a child who you only see for such a small part of the week wants to thank you means sooooo much.

Please
or

puffinnuffin · 12/07/2013 21:40

Periwinkle- your collection sounds very thoughtful as you have tailored the presents to match the people. Personalised stickers sound great!

Please
or

CharmingCats · 12/07/2013 21:49

I agree with previous posts on heartfelt gifts and cards being lovely. But I'd like to add something to the mix, perhaps controversially. I attended a governors' meeting at a school a few years ago where it was discussed that gifts should be declared in a public register under bribery and corruption guidelines. with all the outcry about public sector workers' expenses and gifts, it might start being more widespread. This school also agreed that alcohol isn't an appropriate gift and would be communicated to parents. I've never heard of this in another school, but just some food for thought.
I always keep any chocs given to me and put them in the staff room when we're running low a few weeks into term.

Please
or

pennygallops · 12/07/2013 22:41

I've had two gifts so far this term - both fantastic.

One is a little plastic stationary box with a poem inside the lid link to m and m (marvellous and magnificent teacher), in the little spaces are m and ms and bits of stationary. I've copied this idea and so has a friend.

The other was from a parent I see at parkruns, her son and I discuss times on Monday morning. They gave me running socks and sweat bands!

So basically I like a homemade present or something linked to me. I got some jars of coffee at Christmas because I like my coffee.

I put DDs teacher a stamper last year, because she'd been asking my DD about where she could get a specific one.

Please
or

rabbitlady · 12/07/2013 23:03

home made card with a message about something good they've done - how the child enjoyed being in the class/lesson, or a particular event enjoyed...
or a message from parents about care and education.

Please
or

Joskar · 12/07/2013 23:25

I'm a teacher and I have to say it's very rare that we get gifts at my school. Perhaps it's more common in primary schools. Anyway the best thing is a card. If you really must buy something then booze or cake is always welcome but tbh I think it's really not necessary and I would certainly discourage my kids from thinking they should buy me anything. Believe me thanks is something that teachers rarely get and a card will be spot on. Mind you that notion of resources isn't half bad. I spend a fortune on resources. Teaching: the only job you steal supplies from home to take into work!

Please
or

margot1962 · 13/07/2013 01:25

How dull ...

Please
or

margot1962 · 13/07/2013 01:31

In response to someone saying gifts had been banned! If parents want to give gifts, that's lovely and I would never proscribe what!

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 13/07/2013 05:09

We get bottles of wine on meal deals, supposedly £6 or £7 in value, and don't use them. So I donated 3 to the 3 classroom staff at Xmas, knowing that the lead teacher and partner do like a bottle of wine on a weekend evening.

Not sure what to do as a leaving pressie. DS can write and draw now, and couldn't when he started school so trying to get him to draw a card/write thank you would be good. It has been a really great year. I am sure the other parents would happily club together for a big pressie mind you.

Please
or

Accidentallyquirky · 13/07/2013 06:14

At Christmas for my dds key worker (nursery) I know she has a similar aged dc so made a little Christmas gift pack with a £3 DVD, popcorn, sweeties, Xmas activity book etc for them to do together and a mini bottle of wine for her to drink herself.

I spent around £10 and I'm pretty sure she liked it as she cried when thanking me at home time.

I bought a big box of biscuits for the rest of the staff to share.

For the end of the school year I'm making a few tray bakes for the staff room and haven't decided yet what token gift to give her key worker so getting some inspiration from this thread :)

Please
or

Accidentallyquirky · 13/07/2013 06:14

At Christmas for my dds key worker (nursery) I know she has a similar aged dc so made a little Christmas gift pack with a £3 DVD, popcorn, sweeties, Xmas activity book etc for them to do together and a mini bottle of wine for her to drink herself.

I spent around £10 and I'm pretty sure she liked it as she cried when thanking me at home time.

I bought a big box of biscuits for the rest of the staff to share.

For the end of the school year I'm making a few tray bakes for the staff room and haven't decided yet what token gift to give her key worker so getting some inspiration from this thread :)

Please
or

comelywenchlywoo · 13/07/2013 09:11

Well I wasn't sure about buying a posh candle, but I did and she loved it, so there! (it was a risk tho)

Please
or

giddywithglee · 13/07/2013 09:13

Handmade cards are lovely, they always go on display in our house and then we keep them afterwards.

Please
or

justgivemeareason · 13/07/2013 09:28

Any gift would be well-received BUT

I wouldn't touch any homemade food, whether it was made by a child or parent. I don't think many teachers would to be honest, even if they act delighted.

Teachers always get too much chocolate.

You can never have too many mugs because in my school they always go missing.

I would be embarrassed if parents clubbed together to give money or vouchers.

Flowers can be tricky as sometimes at the end of term you get so many you don't have anywhere to put them all.

I always appreciate wine and almost every teacher I know would as well. I can only think of one non-drinker on my staff.

I don't personally like stationery although some teachers do.

A gift that is chosen by the child is always nice.

Please
or

intheshed · 13/07/2013 09:46

I decided to get something for the classroom rather than the teacher... DD has loved her reception year so much, and especially liked their minibeasts topic so I have got a couple of lovely books about minibeasts and some minibeast finger puppets. I plan to write a note to the teacher and TAs to say we wanted to leave something behind for the new reception children, so that they could enjoy it as much as DD had. And the usual homemade cards too.

Just hope they don't go Hmm what no wine?

Please
or

kimmills222 · 13/07/2013 11:15

I would also suggest you to go for some home made cookies, cakes or biscuits with some nice decorations on them or very neatly packaging. Home- made stuff is always a welcome change from the ones available in the market.

Please
or

DaddyPigsMistress · 13/07/2013 12:38

Ive bought a paperchase notebook for the teacher aand the TA. I tend to just do a card but both have helped my son so much this year. I might write a letter to the head but every draft has sounded really cheesey so I will have to see how it turns out

Please
or

ReadytoOrderSir · 13/07/2013 13:43

DaddyPigsMistress (fab name BTW!) Do please send the letter to the Head.

One of my parents sent one this week. The Head showed me and I cried! I will treasure the words always.... cheesy or otherwise Smile

Please
or

katydid02 · 13/07/2013 14:00

My youngest had an exceptionally good year this year and his teacher has gone above and beyond the call of duty. I bought her an Accessorise gift card and I hope she can find herself something lovely in there, or put it towards something lovely. That said, I am now worrying in case she thinks it was a silly gift to give :(

Please
or

DaddyPigsMistress · 13/07/2013 14:42

I think after reading through the thread I will def send it although I will have my dad look ove it as he is much more eloquent then me. I tend to ramble and over explain things. Ds will have the teacher for year six next year too so I dont want to come across as weird Grin

They really did so much for ds he went from levels below his age to bang on or slightly above,not to mention the confidence and pride they has given him after 3 years of solid bullying at his old school. He really is a different boy.

Please
or

HorryIsUpduffed · 13/07/2013 15:13

Your second paragraph - in fact, your last sentence - is just what they will want to hear, I'm sure!

Please
or

RonaldMcDonald · 13/07/2013 15:45

Pizza Express Card or House of Fraser card
Teacher TA and School Sec seemed happy

Please
or

Periwinkle007 · 13/07/2013 16:42

phew - thanks Puffinnuffin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.