My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Testing positive 6 weeks after medical termination

9 replies

Cheekyaim · 02/07/2022 09:23

Hi everyone, I had a medical termination (following an incomplete/missed miscarriage) about 6+2 weeks ago, yesterday I took a digital test, it said positive!! Today I've taken two non digital tests who both say negative...

Is it possible for hcg levels to still be higher, so worried?! What if something more sinister! 🤔

Thanks in advance for any advice or shared experience.

OP posts:
mrsfoof · 02/07/2022 10:04

The obvious question to ask here is whether it could be a new pregnancy. Have you had unprotected sex since the termination?

Cheekyaim · 02/07/2022 10:12

Hi @mrsfoof yes I have, so I'm not ruling that out of course.... i have no idea; are you more highly fertile after abortion/miscarriage/Labour, I only ask, because of my age... 38... I really was shocked I was pregnant the first time round (on the pill)... haven't had periods (combined pill) or anything... so it took me by surprise even then!

OP posts:
mrsfoof · 02/07/2022 10:15

Yes, generally you are more fertile immediately after pregnancy (however it ends). I'd see the GP and they might consider a blood test so you can see whether the HCG is increasing or decreasing or even a scan. It's possible that it's still high from the terminated pregnancy or it could be a new one. Impossible to tell without further investigation.

UpsyDaisysarmpit · 02/07/2022 10:20

Cheekyaim · 02/07/2022 10:12

Hi @mrsfoof yes I have, so I'm not ruling that out of course.... i have no idea; are you more highly fertile after abortion/miscarriage/Labour, I only ask, because of my age... 38... I really was shocked I was pregnant the first time round (on the pill)... haven't had periods (combined pill) or anything... so it took me by surprise even then!

Yes, you are more fertile straight after a miscarriage or stillbirth, definitely. I was told this after I lost my baby years ago and I assume it may be the same in your case. It could also possibly be from the previous pregnancy. You need to see a doctor, whatever the reason. Flowers

UpsyDaisysarmpit · 02/07/2022 10:22

PS. I hope you get to the bottom of what's happening soon. It must be really tough xx

Carol1980 · 02/07/2022 10:37

Hi,

I was 7 weeks with a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. It took about 10 weeks for my hcg to return to 0 following surgery to remove my ovary and Fallopian tube. My hcg was 19,000 at the time of the rupture.
Were you advised to take a test a few weeks after ?
Thankfully I was blood tested every week following my surgery, and I found it interesting just how long it took for my hcg to return to normal.
Might be worth contacting your EPU to see if they will do a blood hcg and another about a week later to make sure your levels are going back down ?
From what I remember it halved each week

Cheekyaim · 02/07/2022 11:59

Thankyou so much for your responses. I am getting scanned now next week, too much googling about false positives due to elevated hormones has terrified me about the C word.... I struggle with health anxiety, so it really frightens me....

@Carol1980 thankyou for your response, I was around 6 to 7 weeks I believe at the point of termination, I do wonder if its possible some was retained or one of those ovarian cysts.... as I am only experiencing some mild twinge type sensations very low on the left side.... but also the termination wasn't very painful and hardly any bleeding really or clots, which I had expected.

OP posts:
SEJ1789 · 02/07/2022 15:51

So I am testing positive 4 weeks post. Had a scan yesterday and all ok. The nurse asked which tested I was using and I said just some cheap strip ones. She said they were better if I tested with FRER or CB tests it can detect up to 10weeks on those!

Cheekyaim · 03/07/2022 08:07

Thanks @SEJ1789 I actually got the positive with a Clear Blue Digital, but the cleat blue non digital (the one which shows just a line and also the one which shows how many weeks) both said not pregnant. So am really really hoping all is ok, and just remaining hormones and the digital is just very sensitive 🥺 xx

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.