My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Unsure if medical abortion worked

27 replies

Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 10:55

Hi, after a lot of deliberation I decided to have a termination because of health and finances. I took the mifepristone on Thursday , the the misoprostol on Friday. Bled Friday evening only one medium ish clot and then just more bleeding that has become like a period. Horrific cramps all night.
I spoke to MSI and they think there should have been more tissue/clots because I was 9 weeks. They however can’t get me in for another week to check.
if I attended my local EPU will they know I have taken the pills? I’m so embarrassed as there will be women there praying their little beans are safe and well. Would they still see me if I was honest? I just need a scan to know if the baby is still there 😞

OP posts:
PearCherryApple · 16/05/2022 10:57

This reply has been deleted

Not in the spirit

Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 11:08

Hi PearCherryApple. Yes you’re right I just did t know of the EPU still help people who don’t plan on keeping their pregnancies but I certainly don’t want to take an NHS appointment away from a lady who deserves it more then me. I’ll look into a private one.
partly hoping it’s still there as the guilt is really kicking in

OP posts:
PearCherryApple · 16/05/2022 11:17

Depending on where you are you may even be able to access a private scan today or tomorrow as some places have lots of clinics. Hopefully you can sort something out. I can understand it must be a very stressful time

DeFuckingLightful · 16/05/2022 11:18

I’m not sure if this sounds stupid (so sorry if it does) but do they not say to take a test within X amount of weeks so you know if it’s worked? Do you have a local EPU you could phone? I would and explain everything to see what they say, if they book you for a scan it won’t be taking it away from someone else as there’s the possibility you are still pregnant and are going to need the right care!

PearCherryApple · 16/05/2022 11:19

Oh no I’m sorry if you are feeling regret. Please be kind to yourself and try to remember you made your decision based on what was best for you at that point in time . Focus on that as it’s possible hormonal fluctuations are making you feel this way and querying your decision but try to look at your reasons and know you did what was best for you

Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 11:24

They did give me a test but also said it doesnt sound like I have lost enough for my gestation so I’m panicking. The thought of waiting 3 weeks is excruciating,

OP posts:
Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 11:25

I have managed to book a private scan for this evening, thanks for responding x

OP posts:
Choopi · 16/05/2022 13:26

This reply has been deleted

Not in the spirit

Wtf? If there is worries that the termination was incomplete then the OP needs it just as much as anyone else.

I'm not in the UK op so can't really help but there isn't a level of deserving. You deserve healthcare as much as any other woman. I hope your appointment goes well for you. Take care.

Littlepaws18 · 16/05/2022 14:01

You absolutely don't need or want a private scan- ignore that advice. EPU is for this purpose just as much as for any other pregnancy related issue. It isn't pleasant going but honestly I've been on a few occasions for miscarriages and every member of staff I came across was sensitive to that fact. A private scan is not for medical purposes and they will only advise you to seek medical advice.

Also on the leaflet that comes with the pills there is a helpline to ring if you feel it hasn't worked. Thinking of you x

Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 14:02

@Choopi !thank you I have booked a private scan. Will update later today xx

OP posts:
PearCherryApple · 16/05/2022 14:20

Choopi · 16/05/2022 13:26

Wtf? If there is worries that the termination was incomplete then the OP needs it just as much as anyone else.

I'm not in the UK op so can't really help but there isn't a level of deserving. You deserve healthcare as much as any other woman. I hope your appointment goes well for you. Take care.

But OP said she had an appt in a week with her provider so surely it is better to keep the care within the one service ?

ProclivityForPyrotechnics · 16/05/2022 14:44

You have every right to go to epu. Ignore they stupid advice

PearCherryApple · 16/05/2022 16:58

I’m not stupid I just thought as OP said she could be seen by the abortion provider in a week after taking advice from them that either waiting for that or going private was the best plan. Surely the provider would have seen her sooner or advised epu if appropriate? I’m not sure

Littlepaws18 · 16/05/2022 18:32

@PearCherryApple you are giving absolutely inaccurate advice for this situation. Unless a private scan is from a reputable private medical service like BUPA, they are not reliable sources for medical grounds. The EPU is for all pregnancy related issues including miscarriages and abortion. This is the best place for her to go. I would also recommend Mary Stopes their 24 hour advice line for those who have taken the pill is 03451221441.

Dietcokeislife · 16/05/2022 19:53

Thank you everyone. I went for the private scan and they concluded the abortion was complete and I dont need to be seen elsewhere.
I burst into tears, think a part of me was Hopi h it hadn’t worked. Hormones are wild.
anyway thanks again ❤️

OP posts:
Dietcokeislife · 18/05/2022 19:09

just A little update. I went to hospital today in excruciating pain and have signs of Infection. I did this to not put a strain on my family with another child and this all feels like punishment for my decision. So afraid 😭

OP posts:
VodselForDinner · 18/05/2022 19:26

Oh you poor thing, you’ve really been through the mill 💐

Please don’t feel guilty. This isn’t a punishment or payback, you’ve been unlucky following a medical procedure.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Dietcokeislife · 18/05/2022 19:57

@VodselForDinner
thank you so much ❤️

OP posts:
Threebutterflies · 18/05/2022 20:54

@Dietcokeislife
oh no don’t feel like that ! It’s not punishment and like you said you were doing it for good reasons . It’s just one of those things just like how you can have complications after giving birth . When I had an abortion I had to go into hospital after to so it does happen . Hope you get well soon x

Dietcokeislife · 18/05/2022 21:06

Thank you so much . I was so worried about health complications if I kept the pregnancy I fid t even think about issues from termination other than emotional. Xx

OP posts:
FeelIcantdothis · 19/05/2022 08:30

@Dietcokeislife how are you today ?

Dietcokeislife · 19/05/2022 08:36

@FeelIcantdothis Hi, thank you for asking. I’m still awaiting a scan and my temperature is still high. Hoping to get some answers today and get home ASAP. I’m on Antibiotics by drip too. X

OP posts:
FeelIcantdothis · 19/05/2022 10:03

@Dietcokeislife I hope the antibiotics help and you feel better soon. Keep us updated x

thisplaceisweird · 19/05/2022 10:06

It is absolutely not punishment, there is nothing you need to feel bad about. This was a carefully thought-through decision in order to maintain quality of life for your existing children. You've done a brave thing. Hope you feel better soon.

Dietcokeislife · 19/05/2022 12:30

@thisplaceisweird thank you. If could have kept the baby I would do this is so upsetting.
everyone here has been so kind ❤️

@FeelIcantdothis thank you I will x

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.