Please or to access all these features

Pregnancy

Talk about every stage of pregnancy, from early symptoms to preparing for birth.

Polyhydramnios & Labour

11 replies

Coco9910 · 14/09/2026 14:37

Hi,

If you had polyhydramnios, did you go into spontaneous labour and at what gestation? I have it mild (largest pocket was 11.1cm at 35 weeks) and just trying to get a better idea of what the next couple of weeks may look like. I am now 36+2 and have another scan next Monday. Just hoping to hear others experiences! Thanks!

OP posts:
Are your children’s vaccines up to date?
NotPerfectlyAdverage · 14/09/2026 18:46

Are they worried about cord prolapse? I was induced early but this wasn't the reason for induction. That would be my own main concern.

I didn't have my waters broken and it didn't seem to be on anyone's radar either during my induction. Baby was head down and engaged which I guess helps?

WildFinch · 14/09/2026 19:02

I had moderate polyhydramnios identified on growth scans. Think measurements were similar to yours. They were pushing for an induction on my due date due to this and my age (40). All scans showed baby on 50th percentile, placenta fine etc. they never actually told me why polyhydramnios was a risk, maybe mine was mild enough. Anyway I refused induction and finally agreed to be booked in. My waters broke spontaneously 5.30am the day before. Flooded the bed Hollywood style and contractions started. We headed to hospital and baby girl was born at 11am. 7lbs11 at 41w+2.

I was really keen to avoid induction if I didn't feel my body was ready. I had a sweep and additional monitoring and made my own decision. Don't let them scare you, they really tried to push me into an induction but I felt the evidence of risk wasn't strong enough for me.
The BRAIN acronym can be quite useful for these convos.

WildFinch · 14/09/2026 19:04

To add I think it is the cord prolapse they were worried about. When I called triage and said my waters had broke they told me if I felt anything between my legs I should call an ambulance. Obviously there are risks with polyhydramnios so definitely ask for more info so you can make a decision that's right for you.

Pinkelephant66 · 14/09/2026 19:07

Yes , twice, both at 38+4. They said to call them as soon as my waters went as I’d need checking over

Bobbyelvis4ever · 14/09/2026 19:25

I had polyhydramnios so severely I was an inpatient from 38 weeks, and they gave me a c-section at 39 weeks. Both me and baby had some side effects, but both fine within a couple of days.

With my second baby, I had mild polyhydramnios, but given it was so much better than the first time, no-one batted an eyelid. I had an elective section at 39 weeks, just through personal choice.

I think maybe the reason for the poly has an impact, as well as the severity. Mine were both of indiscriminate cause, and just one of those things.

Coco9910 · 14/09/2026 19:41

Thanks all, that’s helpful! I believe mine is classed as mild and the fetal medicine doctor just said if my waters go to go to hospital. I have a scan next week at 37 weeks to see how baby is measuring (currently his head is above 99th centile) so I think that baby’s size may be the main factor in them pushing an induction. I am going to refuse anything before 39 weeks but ideally would like to go as close to due date as possible! (Although they have suggested they wouldn’t want me to go past my due date). This is my second baby and I was induced at 41 weeks last time and she was born on 50th centile so this baby measuring on the 81st centile is a little bit different 😅

OP posts:
NotPerfectlyAdverage · 14/09/2026 20:33

Ask about the risk of cord prolapse. People can be very anti induction. I guess I'm less so as have a history of pre eclampsia and that choice was induction or something you can't come back from. If it's your second with a big head they might think that risk is small as big head = well plugged cervix 🤣. Maybe ask what to do if waters go in gush?

Coco9910 · 14/09/2026 20:39

NotPerfectlyAdverage · 14/09/2026 20:33

Ask about the risk of cord prolapse. People can be very anti induction. I guess I'm less so as have a history of pre eclampsia and that choice was induction or something you can't come back from. If it's your second with a big head they might think that risk is small as big head = well plugged cervix 🤣. Maybe ask what to do if waters go in gush?

Yes I’m hoping his big head is plugging it 😂 if I’m offered an induction I would opt for a c section as my induction last time was 24 hours of labour and then a cat 1 emergency c section after 2 hours of pushing so I don’t have the best experience with an induction 😂 I will ask my consultant next week all of this! I guess I’ll have a better idea of what kinda plan I’m looking at!

OP posts:
laesosalt · 15/09/2026 13:04

Yep I had this and they were worried about cord prolapse! It didn’t help baby kept moving so was often breech but thankfully for delivery he was head down 🥳 When my waters went there was a lot! Way more than my other two so yeah just expect some more water than normal 😏

Coco9910 · 15/09/2026 18:10

laesosalt · 15/09/2026 13:04

Yep I had this and they were worried about cord prolapse! It didn’t help baby kept moving so was often breech but thankfully for delivery he was head down 🥳 When my waters went there was a lot! Way more than my other two so yeah just expect some more water than normal 😏

Did your waters go spontaneously? If so, what gestation? I believe baby is head down but got a midwife appointment tomorrow so will ask her 😅

OP posts:
laesosalt · 15/09/2026 18:51

Yeah they did and went at 38+2 xx

@Coco9910

New posts on this thread. Refresh page