Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Letchworth no NCT?

4 replies

Secontale · 18/03/2023 21:29

Hi all,
Hoping someone local might see this - is there really no NCT classes in Letchworth? The nearest one their site recommended to me is in Royston! I partly want to join NCT for the friendship and support group, so ideally I would want them to be local in my town.
If there really is no NCT in Letchworth, can anyone recommend a good local alternative?
Or anyone who has done NCT, is it worth doing even if I don’t get a local friendship group out of it?
Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hitched2 · Yesterday 00:37

I did NCT not too long ago close by to Letchworth. I think there still are classes, try putting in a different date to your due date as maybe that would change the search results.
My thoughts on whether it’s worth it, the classes were really good for DH because he didn’t really know much about childbirth and I’m sure I did also learn things as well.
I joined mostly for friendships but it didn’t work out for me, I found a lot of the girls in my group to be bitchy and cliquey. I ended up exiting the WhatsApp’s because it was taking a toll on my mental health.
I know lots of people who have made friends for life though so I think I just had bad luck.
I would suggest doing pregnancy yoga/Pilates or doing a baby massage course when baby is born as another good way to meet Mums.

Please
or

Sxd515 · Yesterday 09:22

What about Bump and Baby in Hitchin? I thought the classes were great, the WhatsApp group has been a great support (especially in the early days!). I've made friends from the group. I enjoyed the classes and found the first aid one particularly useful.

Please
or

Secontale · Today 09:29

Hitched2 · Yesterday 00:37

I did NCT not too long ago close by to Letchworth. I think there still are classes, try putting in a different date to your due date as maybe that would change the search results.
My thoughts on whether it’s worth it, the classes were really good for DH because he didn’t really know much about childbirth and I’m sure I did also learn things as well.
I joined mostly for friendships but it didn’t work out for me, I found a lot of the girls in my group to be bitchy and cliquey. I ended up exiting the WhatsApp’s because it was taking a toll on my mental health.
I know lots of people who have made friends for life though so I think I just had bad luck.
I would suggest doing pregnancy yoga/Pilates or doing a baby massage course when baby is born as another good way to meet Mums.

Thank you for this! I will look more widely and see what’s available. It’s our first baby so we’re both looking for all the advice we can get! Perhaps it’s worth doing for us, even if we don’t end up with any local friends out of it - as I can see there are plenty of local baby groups I can go to afterwards :)
I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you, I also know people who have had good experiences and some more cliquey so I guess it is luck of the draw! And on the plus side, if they end up not being my kind of people, I won’t be bumping into them in town all the time lol

OP posts:
Please
or

Secontale · Today 09:30

Sxd515 · Yesterday 09:22

What about Bump and Baby in Hitchin? I thought the classes were great, the WhatsApp group has been a great support (especially in the early days!). I've made friends from the group. I enjoyed the classes and found the first aid one particularly useful.

Oooh thanks I hadn’t heard of bump & baby! Looks good, I may well go for that!

OP posts:
Please
or