My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Bad stomach upset at 20 weeks (any mwifes out there?)

7 replies

lazyeye · 10/02/2004 12:24

Last couple of days but particularly today I've had a dodgy tummy which gives me cramps and then have to rush to loo (sorry). Its very painful and ends up leaving me sweating and a bit drained.

I'm worried about the baby - I heard once stomach cramps can pre-empt labour?

Once the cramps are passed I'm okay, but its very painful during them........any advice, or should I just sit it out unless it gets worse?

OP posts:
SpringChicken · 10/02/2004 12:31

No advise Lazyeye - my midwife advised that in very severe casses food poisoning can bring on premature labour - Don't want to worry you but may be worthwhile seeing what Mears has to say!

Could it be something you have eaten? Does it seem to be getting worse?

musica · 10/02/2004 12:42

lazyeye - I had horrific upset stomachs with both pregnancys,both at 20 weeks, with no ill effects to the baby. I think it would be worth checking with your doctor, but I think they are more concerned that you don't get dehydrated, so make sure you drink plenty of water, or lemonade. Why don't you phone your midwife and see what she says, then you won't be worried!

Hope you're feeling better soon - it's miserable isn't it. Especially because you can't really take anything to help. ((hugs))

Marina · 10/02/2004 12:46

Sorry to hear this Lazyeye, I really hope you feel better soon. In your position I would see a doctor just to put your mind at rest but also to see if the sort of stomach upset you have is treatable with (safe in pregnancy) antibiotics. Was it pph who had campylobacter when she was pg? Someone did on here... Her baby was fine but I think she spent an unnecessary number of days suffering before it was diagnosed.

GeorginaA · 10/02/2004 12:52

lazyeye - just to reassure you, there's a bad stomach bug going around. I too had it a few weeks ago and panicked and thought "food poisoning". Apparently salmonella-type food poisoning (by far the most common) is grotty for you but very unlikely to be bad for baby unless you get severely dehydrated. Listeria is the dangerous one but is extremely rare and doesn't have those sorts of symptoms when you're pregnant (i.e. 1 or 2 pregnant women get it a year - it's that sort of rare).

In the end I found out that a friend of mine had had exactly the same bug and we hadn't shared anything similar to eat. Since then just about everyone I know seems to have had the bug. There was a thread on mumsnet about it recently.

The diorrhea/sickness/cramps side seems to go quite quickly (a couple of days) but I felt drained for a good week afterwards. Hope you feel better soon.

GeorginaA · 10/02/2004 12:54

Oh ... PS... if it is the bug going around it isn't bad for baby, just horribly horribly grotty for you!

twiglett · 10/02/2004 13:09

message withdrawn

mears · 10/02/2004 22:54

If it continues Lazyeye go and see the doctor. It would be a good idea to send a sample because some types of food poisoning can be treated. Babe should be fine.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.