Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Doesn’t initiate, only goes when we tell him to

Himawarigirl · 15/10/2021 12:37

My ds (2.5) has done well with potty training and more often than not we get through a day without any incidents. But if we miss the usual prompts to have a wee of going out and coming home because, for example, we stayed at home for the morning, he ends up having an accident. So I worry that he’s not initiating or recognising that he needs a wee, we’re just avoiding accidents because he’s happy to cooperate when we ask him to have a wee at key points throughout the day. He does initiate for poo and gets to the potty himself. Any experience of this, is it just a stage on the way to self initiated potty trips?

OP's posts:
Please
or

samwitwicky · 15/10/2021 13:03

If you're always prompting him to go that will become what he relies on to go.

If you want him to learn the signals that he needs a wee, I'd suggest reducing the amount you remind him to go and letting him work it out for himself.

Of course this will mean more accidents potentially, but look for visual clues before it gets to that point.

You have to let him figure it out

Please
or

modgepodge · 16/10/2021 17:05

We had to prompt for months. She is now finally self initiating. I do think you might need to back off a little and yes let him have a few accidents so he gets the feeling of needing to go.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.