My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Breastfeeding

17 replies

B0bb · 12/08/2019 08:19

Hi all,

So I gave birth 3 days ago, as soon as I gave birth I breastfed for over an hour which I was surprised by. Then in the hospital, was fine, yesterday was but last night was awful, and today I've had to ring my mum to get her to get me some formula.

I'm trying to get a midwife over to help look at his latch, but will it hurt just to give him some formula? He's hungry and I'm worn down.

OP posts:
BertrandRussell · 12/08/2019 08:21

Has your milk come in yet? What was particularly awful about last night- was he feeding and feeding non-stop?

B0bb · 12/08/2019 08:22

@BertrandRussell I don't think so? He was but the only difference was every time he was sucking he would then cry and unlatch, so I thought he had wind but nothing? So I'm thinking he isn't latching well?

OP posts:
NotSoThinLizzy · 12/08/2019 08:25

A little formula isn't going to hurt him. Just be careful giving to much can reduce your supply. Keep trying the latch and hopefully someone will be able to come help soon.

BertrandRussell · 12/08/2019 08:28

Well- your milk usually comes in on the 3rd day- so if you can, give it a little bit longer. It can be so hard at the beginning, but it sounds as if you’re doing a great job! Are you remembering to eat and drink? And don’t try to do anything else at the moment.

B0bb · 12/08/2019 08:28

@NotSoThinLizzy I've just given him some again. Obviously my nipples are sore, he's dozed off but it won't be long before he cries again. Trying to get in touch with a midwife but nothing yet Envy

OP posts:
B0bb · 12/08/2019 08:30

@BertrandRussell thanks and I know I did do it with my daughter but I had a lot of support in the first week. I think because they know I have done it before I can do it again. I'm really trying but I don't want him to be hungry and upset.

OP posts:
Oct18mummy · 12/08/2019 08:39

Ask your midwife to see if they can arrange for a lactation consultant to come to your house. I had one and they found my baby was tongue tied and latch was bad. We used Brest shields for a while as baby found them easier to latch onto and we got his tongue snipped. Keep asking for help they are so keen to help mothers continue breastfeeding. Good luck x

Oct18mummy · 12/08/2019 08:40

Also I took floradix and my milk came in v quickly after that x

NotSoThinLizzy · 12/08/2019 09:02

Try expressing a little each time you give formula so your body will keep getting signals to make milk. My milk didnt come in until 4 days after. Keep at it 😊

B0bb · 12/08/2019 09:03

@Oct18mummy ah ok useful. I will see what they say when they ring. Just waiting for a phone call to see if a midwife is gonna come out or if I have to go see them. I will try anything. I have formula as a back up - but hopefully we can still breastfeed.

OP posts:
DontBuyANewMumCashmere · 12/08/2019 09:05

Have you got any local La Leche League meetings or breastfeeding clinics?
It's so hard at the beginning. Flowers

BertrandRussell · 12/08/2019 09:07

Don’t automatically assume there’s a problem! Day 3 is when the milk usually first appears- give it a bit longer before doing anything else.

TweakMyHouse · 12/08/2019 09:11

www.nationalbreastfeedinghelpline.org.uk/

They open at 9.30am, give them a ring for a chat and they’ll be able in advise

B0bb · 12/08/2019 09:12

@DontBuyANewMumCashmere yes I think we have?

@BertrandRussell I know he could be getting mad because he can smell it and want it more. Fingers crossed they can help me out today

OP posts:
B0bb · 12/08/2019 09:12

@TweakMyHouse thank you

OP posts:
genie10 · 12/08/2019 09:38

Most areas have breastfeeding support led by a professional and supported by trained volunteers who have all breast fed themselves. Ask your midwife or local antenatal clinic for details or look it up online.Don't give up. It's hard at first but very early days yet and your milk will probably not have come through yet.

B0bb · 12/08/2019 10:39

@genie10 I know, I don't remember it very well with my first. Will keep trying, thank u

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.