to access all these features

Politics

Who feels sorry for Gordon???

331 replies

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 18:57

I do.

OP posts:
jonicomelately · 28/04/2010 21:14

I feel sorry for him. He is clearly mortified. I prefer him to some smarmy tell us what they think we want to hear Blair Cameron Clegg type.

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 21:16

another thing that keeps going through my mind...who says she REALLY is a lifelong labour supporter...

OP posts:
loungelizard · 28/04/2010 21:19

Perhaps 'Gillian', or whatever she is called, might like to run the country instead, as she isn't a bigot and thinks GB is stupid. Max Clifford could help her.

wannaBe · 28/04/2010 21:19

yes. And the woman is a bigot.

And wtf does she need Max Clifford for? I mean who the hell wants to read her "story"?

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 21:19

aand wasn't she the lucky one... fire loads of questions...not really interested in the answers...all infront of TV cameras...

now she'll make loads in newspaper stories...write a book...be on TV chat shows....and have plenty of money to pay the uni fees!!!!

OP posts:
said · 28/04/2010 21:20

But Max Clifford is a Labour supporter. Maybe he's hoping this will backfire. It's win-win for him.

claig · 28/04/2010 21:21

didn't you see how upset she was when she found out what he thought of her? She was Labour through and through, but said she was ashamed to be Labour now. This is the same as millions of former Labour voters who feel let down and may not turn up to vote. She said she wouldn't bother voting now.

wannaBe · 28/04/2010 21:22

oh and I'm not a labour supporter

wannaBe · 28/04/2010 21:23

"didn't you see how upset she was when she found out what he thought of her?" Serves her right.

lolster · 28/04/2010 21:24

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mmrsceptic · 28/04/2010 21:25

are you joking?

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 21:26

"didn't you see how upset she was when she found out what he thought of her?" Serves her right.

and.......... what about THIS

OP posts:
MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 21:26

HE looks pretty upset too.

OP posts:
LeninGrad · 28/04/2010 21:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 21:28

MUMSNET TOWERS should do another poll...

OP posts:
janeite · 28/04/2010 21:29

Have only just read their conversation - yes, she comes across quite badly: she's ranting at him and irrationally jumping from one point to the next, entirely unrelated point. And v bullish to call him 'Gordon' like that, too.

And I have never, ever voted Labour but I still think the way that the media gleefully whip up everything he says is just horrible. I'd rather have him than oil-slick Cameron, anyday.

wannaBe · 28/04/2010 21:30

it's a link to mn front page. What of it?

She talked about all the imigrants flocking in - her views were bigoted. If you're going to make remarks like that then one day someone is going to call you on them.

Tashtodd · 28/04/2010 21:31

I've never thought that Brown held the electorate in anything other than complete contempt. An inconvenience to be put up with every five years. The person I'm sorry for is Mrs Duffy who looked close to tears. He's toast

claig · 28/04/2010 21:32

yes he feels upset because this could cost him dearly. He wishes he never got found out. But he expressed what he really thought about her. He said it was ridiculous that his advisers had set up an interview with the woman. He was angry that the interview couldn't be stage-managed and he wouldn't be able to put his best face forward to the TV viewing public. Real life intervened, no spin doctors were there to help him. His real character was revealed and he wishes we never knew about it.

wannaBe · 28/04/2010 21:33

and the question really is - does Gordon Brown have a right to an opinion? And the answer is that yes, he does.

If he'd turned around to the woman and called her a bigot to her face or during an interview then the media would have been right to call him on it, but he didn't. The microphone was left on for some reason and it was a comment made by him personally - he is entitled to those opinions. Just because someone might have voted for his party in the past doesn't mean he has to like them all and agree with everything they say.

claig · 28/04/2010 21:38

"does Gordon Brown have a right to an opinion?"

He has a right to an opinion. Unfortunately for him, we all now know what his opinion is. Unlike the MNers on here, GB is very worried about this. He knows how serious this is and how it will play to millions of Labour voters who will not think that Mrs Duffy is not a bigot. He has been apologising profusely, writing letters of apology left right and centre. He is hoping that this mistake will not bury him.

Casmama · 28/04/2010 21:51

I do feel really sorry for him on this occassion despite not being a fan. I felt vaguely dirty to hear the glee from Jeremy Vine as he played it back to him live on air.
It was a private conversation and should have remained so. I would have had slightly more respect for him if he had replied " Yes she was a bigot and what of it?" rather than running round to apologise.

I think that GB is a really hard working man who is under a huge amount of pressure and really didn't need this petty kick in the teeth too.
(will also still be voting LD though.)

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

pocketmonster · 28/04/2010 21:53

I feel very sorry for him. I also think it questionable the thing was broadcast.

loungelizard · 28/04/2010 21:54

His opinion is that the woman was unreasonable, which she was to a certain extent, ranting on about this, that and the other to him. However, he was polite to her and listened to her.

I don't think he needed to 'apologise' officially. I thought what he said off the cuff when JV played the recording to him was perfectly adequate.

I am sick to death of the media in this election, on all counts with their behaviour to all the parties. Its just a game to them. And it's getting a bit tedious now.

gingercat12 · 28/04/2010 21:57

loungelizard You are so right.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.