Politics

Who feels sorry for Gordon???

331 replies

MrsForgetful · 28/04/2010 18:57

I do.

OP posts:
CrankyTwanky · 28/04/2010 23:30

I do.
Who, honestly, has never made this face or made a remark about someone they'd had to deal with at work.

I bet we all do it. He was in his car, and should be able so say what he likes within its confines.

Poor show, Sky.

claig · 28/04/2010 23:31

wannaBe, I admire your optimism, but this was a Gordon Bennett moment. Gordon is having kittens, he won't be able to sleep tonight, he will be shattered for the debate tomorrow night. He knows that this could be game changing. All the lies and spin could now be in vain, this banana skin slip-up may have fractured the campaign. We got a glimpse of the man behind the rictus grin mask, and it was an ugly sight.

fembear · 28/04/2010 23:32

"He has been left with Blair's legacy re: war"

GB was in the Cabinet at the time and backed the war too

"and scapegoated for the collapse of the (world) economy."

Remember 'no more boom and bust'?

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:33

me too - soared in my estimation but he already was on a pedestal

talking to that woman took bloody courage and humility

( In a really bizarre way I hope Gordon loses because the British public have been such shits to him he needs a break)

I love politics and this election is such a superficial sham - 'leaders wives' etc - Gordon is old labour - deserves better

Bloody Cameron - not a passionate political bone in his body - its just a career to him - pah

APassionateWoman · 28/04/2010 23:35

Yep, I remember@fembear

don't recall the Tories or Lib Dems disagreeing . In fact. all the major world gov'ts got caught in the trap.

Stupid. Careless. I am angry.

But I don't think Cameron could or would handle it any better.

And yes, Brown backed Blair. So did the Tories.

thinker · 28/04/2010 23:38

I do, it was a private conversation, could have said a lot lot worse too, he was fairly relaxed considering, just commenting with his colleagues about work. No news today obviously.

claig · 28/04/2010 23:39

"he needs a break"

by God we need one too, roll on May 6th.

fembear · 28/04/2010 23:41

"don't recall the Tories or Lib Dems disagreeing"

The LibDems did/do disagree. The Tories backed it because (naively) they believed the lies that Blair/Brown told them.

Did we ever find the weapons of mass destruction that were only 45 minutes away?

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:43

the other day i was out in town with my 17 year old son. Sitting at the lovely bandstand watching out little boys playing - i stared forward whilst speaking to ds1 who was next to me - bitching about a local woman ( used to be celebrity) who was loudly parenting... I said to ds ' bloody woman - grates on my nerves cannot bear her' then I howled with laughter as i said to DS ' I sound like Prince Charles about Nicholas [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SGCxRUtXM Witchell'

sorry but it's all the same - Gordon is human - rather that than a smooth faced automaton

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:44

the other day i was out in town with my 17 year old son. Sitting at the lovely bandstand watching out little boys playing - i stared forward whilst speaking to ds1 who was next to me - bitching about a local woman ( used to be celebrity) who was loudly parenting... I said to ds ' bloody woman - grates on my nerves cannot bear her' then I howled with laughter as i said to DS ' I sound like Prince Charles about Nicholas Witchell'

sorry but it's all the same - Gordon is human - rather that than a smooth faced automaton

APassionateWoman · 28/04/2010 23:47

Oh ^please^@fembear. The Tories aren't some powerless little sub-party waiting on Labour's direction. Do you not remember the Thatcher years?[hmm} They are the biggest war-mongers of the lot of them when it suits them.

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:50

i think people have memory loss wrt the thatcher years...

b4real · 28/04/2010 23:50

Why feel sorry for him? He has shown his 'life long labour supporter' what he really thinks of her! the poor woman asks a quesstion about immigraion and is then called a bigot in private. It just shows what he really thinks of the electorate, not much! He was right it was an absolute disaster!!

b4real · 28/04/2010 23:52

CLAIG Yes Gordon does need a break, it's called a new job!

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:52

many people would agree she was a bigot
He is hardly going to condemn her to her face - is he supposed to be an angel?

noopska · 28/04/2010 23:53

'what he thinks of the electorate'

how can you turn a comment about one woman into how he feels about the voting nation?

fidelma · 28/04/2010 23:53

Disaster, you can not go around saying these sort of things,particularly if you are the Prime Minister.He should know by now.

I do feel sorry for him but he is not getting my vote.

APassionateWoman · 28/04/2010 23:53

I honestly do not think a huge swathe of the electorate have properly grasped the damage Thatcher did to our society (and how she contributed to a generally negative, damaging shift in world politics). I find it very sad.

To be fair re: immigration - the way all parties cling to immigration as an election winner makes me sick. It is such a heavily manipulated, distorted subject, which absolutely plays on voter's basest instincts.

NotanOtter · 28/04/2010 23:54

i hope all the tory voters won't come moaning on here five years hence about education cuts, increased hospital waiting lists...

whatname · 28/04/2010 23:56

Don't feel sorry for him about this "bigot" saga.
Sounds like she is, and he is allowed an opinion.

but i do feel sorry for him, cos he's the underdog

b4real · 28/04/2010 23:56

NOTANOTTER Why is the women a bigot for talking about immigration? Is it forbidden?

fembear · 28/04/2010 23:57

APW: have you really forgotten the dodgy dossier, the death of David Kelly etc? Shame on you.

GB handled this really badly. Remember last year when Labour lost out big time to the BNP in the north west. He should have been expecting questions along these lines and have pat answers ready to woo back his own supporters. He shouldn't be slagging them off.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

APassionateWoman · 29/04/2010 00:00

Have you forgotten all the Tory sleaze? It wasn't that long ago. I know who I would rather hedge my bets with.

Bellebelle · 29/04/2010 00:01

I do.

I also despair of the 'personality politics' which we are subjected to. About 15 years ago a teacher explained in a politics class that in the US voters tended to vote for the Presidential candidate they liked based on their personality rather than the political party and policies they represented. At the time I thought it ridiculous but look at us now.

The most brilliant people I've worked for and with in the past (and now) have been complete bastards. Really difficult personalities, liable to fly off the handle, temperamental and opinionated but absolutely amazing at their jobs. I would far rather have a grumpy, awkward but completely capable GB at the helm than DC and Clegg who might play well in the media but lack backbone when it comes to the crunch. I'd want Gordon on my team in a fight.

Also would have loved it if GB had apologised but pointed out that that women had been expressing bigotted views. I think that loads of people don't even understand what a bigot is and that their views could be classed as bigotted. Of course she was upset because it's a horrible thing to be called but it was accurate.

I've never voted Labour before but think I might.

NotanOtter · 29/04/2010 00:02

agree totally belle belle - esp about the definition of bigoted

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.