Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

“For Yura, from Mom. Burn in hell."

13 replies

MsAmerica · 30/05/2023 00:45

Ukrainians Send a Message With Their Bombs. On Them, Too.
By Maria Varenikova

After more than a year of war, Ukrainians have a lot to say to Russia, and many have chosen to say it on the sides of rockets, mortar shells and even exploding drones. Thousands of messages have been sent, ranging from the sardonic to the bitter, among them one from Valentyna Vikhorieva, whose 33-year-old son died in the war.

“For Yura, from Mom,” Vikhorieva asked an artillery unit to write on a shell. “Burn in hell for our children.”

www.nytimes.com/2023/05/15/world/europe/ukrainian-rocket-messages.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukrainians-send-message-bombs-them-115615995.html

Ukraine Sending Messages On Their Bombs Too | Crooks and Liars

OP posts:
doubleglazed · 01/06/2023 10:42

The west has been ploughing billions of military aid into Ukraine for eight years, civilians in Donbass have been shelled for eight years (unless you think that that this is all lies and all the testimonies are from crisis actors?) nothing has been done by the west in diplomatic terms.

No civilian in Ukraine, Russia or the UK or anywhere else is going to benefit from ploughing more weapons into Ukraine by the west or the media blame game. There are many, many issues and stakeholders to do with the conflict - sophisticated problem solving by the international community would be more effective at saving lives.

Garusmulp · 18/06/2023 00:06

I agree , more weapons will not stop the war but continue the murder of people. Unfortunately, there’s currently no will to resolve the situation in a peaceful way. My heart bleeds for every single Ukrainian victim!

dubsie · 18/06/2023 10:02

I don't support the Ukraine, although I have a lot of sympathy with the people suffering as a result of another war. I'm not a Russian sympathiser either I just feel this whole conflict was dreamt up by the war mongering yanks knowing the Russians would respond.

MsAmerica · 21/07/2023 20:48

The west has been ploughing billions of military aid into Ukraine for eight years, civilians in Donbass have been shelled for eight years (unless you think that that this is all lies and all the testimonies are from crisis actors?) nothing has been done by the west in diplomatic terms.

No civilian in Ukraine, Russia or the UK or anywhere else is going to benefit from ploughing more weapons into Ukraine by the west or the media blame game. There are many, many issues and stakeholders to do with the conflict - sophisticated problem solving by the international community would be more effective at saving lives.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. Maybe part of the problem is that this has all been done piecemeal, with help doled out inadequately over a long period of time.

But it's clear to me - and I can't understand why it's not clear to everyone - that Russia is unquestionably the aggressor, unquestionably in the wrong, and unquestionably providing disturbing parallels with Hitler. And it's equally clear to me that the bravery and determination of the Ukrainian people has been phenomenal.

OP posts:
Brk · 26/07/2023 18:10

What total nonsense 😂😂

1. There have been huge diplomatic efforts. Go read the news. Not the West’s fault that Putin is a murderous megalomaniac.
  2. Without the steady and continuous supply of weapons to Ukraine, Russia will conquer Ukraine, murder millions of Ukrainians, then use its huge farms, factories and nuclear facilities to strengthen Russia, then conquer all ex-Soviet countries and wage war on any countries who disagree. As we’re obliged by the treaties we have signed to defend many of those countries, that would mean World War Three. I much prefer Ukraine fighting Russia with Western weapons, over bombs falling on London. Go read some history, particularly around appeasement of Hitler and also what happened to Yugoslavia.

We let Putin get away with conquering Crimea, and that just encouraged him to attack Ukraine. If we let him conquer Ukraine too things will go very badly for the rest of Europe.
MsAmerica · 14/09/2023 02:03

Brk · 26/07/2023 18:10

What total nonsense 😂😂

1. There have been huge diplomatic efforts. Go read the news. Not the West’s fault that Putin is a murderous megalomaniac.
  2. Without the steady and continuous supply of weapons to Ukraine, Russia will conquer Ukraine, murder millions of Ukrainians, then use its huge farms, factories and nuclear facilities to strengthen Russia, then conquer all ex-Soviet countries and wage war on any countries who disagree. As we’re obliged by the treaties we have signed to defend many of those countries, that would mean World War Three. I much prefer Ukraine fighting Russia with Western weapons, over bombs falling on London. Go read some history, particularly around appeasement of Hitler and also what happened to Yugoslavia.

We let Putin get away with conquering Crimea, and that just encouraged him to attack Ukraine. If we let him conquer Ukraine too things will go very badly for the rest of Europe.

Thanks, @Brk.

I think the parallel with Hitler is so clear that I can't understand why it isn't obvious to everyone. I'd think Brits would be especially aware of this!

OP posts:
Garusmulp · 14/09/2023 23:44

A war is always about power and money, patriotism is evoked in masses to fight the enemy (either side). Anyone saying more weapons are needed to fight the war in Ukraine supports needless mass death of Ukrainian youth. It’s a genocide !

TrashedSofa · 19/09/2023 19:33

We should be giving the Ukrainians more weapons, not less.

Frankly, the outright tankies and pro Russians are preferable to the sort of stupid, bleeding heart twat who thinks if we made the Ukrainians defend themselves against the butchers of Bucha that would somehow usher in peace. Repulsive, thick and racist to boot.

MsAmerica · 29/09/2023 01:24

Garusmulp · 14/09/2023 23:44

A war is always about power and money, patriotism is evoked in masses to fight the enemy (either side). Anyone saying more weapons are needed to fight the war in Ukraine supports needless mass death of Ukrainian youth. It’s a genocide !

I'm sorry, but that seem absurd to me. Do you feel that England should have let itself be over-run by Hitler?

OP posts:
Garusmulp · 30/09/2023 00:06

This is a different story but even if we do go back to WW2, Britain was never going to be taken over by Hitler. In fact, most of the war took place in Eastern Europe, ie Ukraine and Russia.

Absurdity is when the war of interests is played with human lives!

TrashedSofa · 30/09/2023 07:46

This is a different story but even if we do go back to WW2, Britain was never going to be taken over by Hitler. In fact, most of the war took place in Eastern Europe, ie Ukraine and Russia.

Absurdity is when someone pretends that it's us supplying weapons to the Ukrainians that's prolonging the war.

Jux · 02/10/2023 17:58

Brabo @MsAmerica and @Brk couldn't agree more. Blindingly obvious what Putin's game is, and no doubt in my mind at all that we should stop hm at all costs. Now preferably.

MsAmerica · 11/10/2023 02:17

I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Is your point that if you think Britain wasn't going to be taken over by Hitler, then it's fine if a present day authoritarian acts like Hitler?

Or is your point that if you think Britain wasn't going to be taken over by Hitler, then there's no reason for Brits to be sympathetic if a present day authoritarian like Hitler attacks another country?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.