Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Politics

France and Greece Election results!

554 replies

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 02:04

So, what do you think it means for Europe?

OP posts:
claig · 07/05/2012 14:15

'Lady - then put your hand in your pocket.'

There's nothing left in people's pockets, the bankers got there first.

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:16

Wasabi, anyone's life can change.

OP posts:
LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:17

Claig, who gave the money to the bankers to make sure there was plenty in all their pockets? Wink divide and conquer, pick on the vulnerable...

OP posts:
NovackNGood · 07/05/2012 14:19

It seems reasonable to ask people who live off the state to live where the costs to the rest of society will not be extortionate. A London borough can house far more needy and vulnerable people in Hull or other areas outside greater london than they can within London allowing the money available to them to go further. I would remove the high rents fuelled by state payouts and perhaps allow the market in rents to reduce so at least properties become available for those who live outside london and have long commute distances eg. Nurses and Police etc. to perhaps be able to find more affordable housing and a better quallity of life.

alexpolismum · 07/05/2012 14:21

average retirement ages

the average age of retirement in Greece was actually closer to 60 for women, Novack. Maybe there were a few hairdressers retiring early, I expect they were the minority.

alexpolismum · 07/05/2012 14:22

Good point about the Orthodox Church - there is actually a campaign here to get them to put their money where their mouth is...

claig · 07/05/2012 14:23

'who gave the money to the bankers to make sure there was plenty in all their pockets?'

Exactly, and the people weren't asked or consulted. Their money was just handed over and that tap never runneth dry

WasabiTillyMinto · 07/05/2012 14:23

We are under the thumb of bankers because we overspent in the good times. We are a democracy. so we are responisbile for the situation we find ourselves in.

Lady - i think the Greeces brought it on themselves. i am give happy to give to charities supporting other causes. but not this one.

claig · 07/05/2012 14:27

But Wasabi, the bankers were bust. Inter bank loans had seized up. We rescued them and even paid their bonuses and now you say we are under their thumb. How come?

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:27

The innocent children didn't bring it on themselves Hmm

OP posts:
LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:29

The banks brought it on themselves, not innocent children in Greece who are abandoned, or innocent children in London housing who will be further stripped of any social mobility, social or family links, it says a lot about a person or society that damages the vulnerable, I can't think of a more vulnerable group than children, other than children with special needs.

OP posts:
RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief · 07/05/2012 14:29

Anyway, looking at the Euro trading, if you want to buy a ski chalet, now could be your chance. Euro at a 3.5 year low vs the pound.

alexpolismum · 07/05/2012 14:29

Not to worry, Wasabi. Lots of Greek people are now living in the UK, Germany and France, working hard and sending money home to Greece to support Mum back in the village who is struggling to make ends meet. The UK is already helping to support the Greek poor.

alexpolismum · 07/05/2012 14:31

This thread beggars belief. It's not often one post is talking about abandoned or disadvantaged children and the very next is advocating buying a ski chalet!

WasabiTillyMinto · 07/05/2012 14:33

Claig - because the City provides app. 10% of the UKs taxes. put them under pressure & they can easily move taking their jobs with them. much easier to change the makeup of the UK ecomony in the good times. e.g. increase manufacturing, reduce the dependency on the banks.

basically dont start a fight when you are weak.

Lady - 1 billion people are hungry. the Greeces can look after their own. they just arent.

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:34

Alex, sadly about 10% of the population has a blank space in their brains where the majority of the poplulation has brain activity, that space is where EMPATHY is accessed. For reference, that information came from BBC Panorama, Good or Evil, from Jim Fallon/Fallen, who has been brain scanning psychopaths and sociopaths.

OP posts:
RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief · 07/05/2012 14:35

Tbh I'm finding it hard to take this thread seriously. It has gone into the realm of the conspiracy theorists, never to return I fear.

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:35

Wasabi, so because a society is not looking after their vulnerable, no one else should? What does that say about either society?

OP posts:
LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:37

Rich, you get challenged about making a comment on buying a ski challet and then state the thread is full of conspiracy theorists HmmConfused

OP posts:
WasabiTillyMinto · 07/05/2012 14:38

Laby - create jobs, donate to charity if you want to change anything. thats what i do.

other course, you can just say 'so sad' on MN & convience yourself you hold the high moral ground if you like......

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:40

Wasabi, I think it is great you are in a position to create jobs and give to charity, you do realise that not everyone is born equal, not everyone is born with the ability to be an entrapeneur (again excuse spelling), brains for business, money, the ability to handle money well and so on...

How would you know what I or anyone else is doing, you are assuming that all I am doing is saying "so sad" on mn and taking the high moral ground!

OP posts:
alexpolismum · 07/05/2012 14:40

What makes you think that ordinary Greek people, not the government, but ordinary people, aren't doing anything to help their fellow citizens?

At my son's school, for example, there is a collection of donations to put in food parcels - rice, pasta, flour, fruit juice, UHT milk, beans, whatever you can offer.

The local church (so I am told, I am not a member) collects money for the same reason.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief · 07/05/2012 14:42

Dude, seriously. I'm not going to buy a ski chalet........but the Niemoller was a bit OTT you must admit. I mean, we're talking about an election result at the end of the day, not the hoisting of a swastika over the Greek parliament. Nothing's happened yet and probably nothing really will.

LadyWithEDS · 07/05/2012 14:42

Alex, you know the people who are collecting and donating at your son's school, they are the very people that are best placed to say what is needed, who needs it and get it to the right people. Would they accept help from people in the UK?

OP posts:
WasabiTillyMinto · 07/05/2012 14:45

Lady - if you do something, thats great, but i dont think empathy without action is worth diddly.

and average chartiable giving in the UK is a pittance. so most people say 'so sad' & do very very little.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.