Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

lol! Daily Heil now firmly behind the fascist Marie Le Pen on Sunday

20 replies

ttosca · 20/04/2012 17:33

Despite her flaws, the only responsible vote in France next Sunday is one for Marine Le Pen

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2132611/French-elections-2012-Marine-Le-Pen-responsible-vote-France.html

---

What else should we expect from supporters of the Nazis in the 1930s?

OP posts:
JosephineCD · 20/04/2012 20:18

Le Pen is hardly a fascist.

The Guardian supported Pol Pot in the 70s. That's irrelevent though, because the owners and staff at the newspaper are different today. As are those at the Mail.

ttosca · 21/04/2012 12:55

Le Pen is hardly a fascist.

Le Pen is the president of the Front National. Are you saying the NF are not fascist? Are you serious?

The Guardian supported Pol Pot in the 70s. That's irrelevent though, because the owners and staff at the newspaper are different today.

Really? Wow. Could you provide a link?

As are those at the Mail.

The Mail is supporting fascists now. Furthermore, it has always had a tendency to support far-right politics. This follows a pattern.

OP posts:
ttosca · 21/04/2012 12:55

What do you have to say for yourself, claig?

OP posts:
daffodilly2 · 21/04/2012 13:18

This is irresponsible reporting and quite depressing. The emphasis on the French " identity" is linking euro-sceptism to fascism - disturbing!

claig · 21/04/2012 17:08

'What do you have to say for yourself, claig?'

Please stop knocking the Daily Mail. It was voted 'Newspaper of the Year' this year by the distnguished Society of Editors and it is the world's leading online newspaper - the voice of the people.

CogitoErgoSometimes · 21/04/2012 17:16

It's an article rather than an editorial. Looking at some of the journalist's other articles, they appear to present deliberately provocative & controversial points of view. Phrases like 'Le Pen?s protectionist economic policies are both foolish and futile' aren't exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm no fan of the Daily Mail but since its influence on a French election is highly limited and since this isn't in their leader column I think 'pinch of salt' restrictions apply.

claig · 21/04/2012 17:20

It is in the 'Rightminds' blogging section of the Daily Mail. It is that writer's opinion and not the Daily Mail's opinion.

ttosca · 21/04/2012 18:29

Claig-

Please stop knocking the Daily Mail. It was voted 'Newspaper of the Year' this year by the distnguished Society of Editors and it is the world's leading online newspaper -

Nobody cares, claig. The Indy and Guardian have also run numerous awards. In 2011, the Graun won Paper of the Year award:

www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/06/press-awards-2011-guardian-newspaper-of-the-year

the voice of the people.

Sure, so long as you're not an immigrant, gay, bisexual, poor, a single mother, or unemployed.

OP posts:
JuliaScurr · 21/04/2012 18:33

I'm most of those.
Le Pen is a fash. Obv.

GiantPuffball · 21/04/2012 18:37

Wtf? Fascists are fine if they are French. Scary Stuff.

daffodilly2 · 21/04/2012 19:47

I think if the article is in the Daily Mail then they are endorsing that opinion and they have made an error of judgement to let that be published. I'm surprised there is not more of a backlash about it actually.

It's troubling.

daffodilly2 · 21/04/2012 19:48

Out of interest Ttosca, why are you reading the Daily Mail?

VikingVagine · 23/04/2012 09:58

I read the DM. It's a bit like a car crash. You really wish it hadn't happened, and you pity the people involved, but you can't help but look.

CogitoErgoSometimes · 23/04/2012 12:13

Given that the FN seemed to have polled surprisingly well are we to expect a headline that it was 'The Mail Wot Won It?'.. Grin

2old2beamum · 23/04/2012 16:02

tosca well there's a surprise

ttosca · 23/04/2012 16:36

Out of interest Ttosca, why are you reading the Daily Mail?

I don't usually read the mail, though I have absolutely no objection to being aware of what sort of filth is printed in the press across all popular newspapers. It's important to read how events are reported, and how each of the newspapers - with their target demographic - is reporting events.

On this particular occasion, I was made aware of the article by a friend who posted it on his fb newsfeed.

OP posts:
daffodilly2 · 23/04/2012 17:25

Cool Ttosca.

I find it a depressing read in politics section ( so just avoid), otherwise some interesting articles I hear from my mum, an avid DM fan Sad My politics developed in the opposite direction of my beloved mum. Thanks mum x.

BDonna · 24/04/2012 12:25

Daily Mail - Voice of the People? Hell's Bells...

I agree with VikingVagine

Do we know the price of Le Pen's house??

:)

flatpackhamster · 26/04/2012 12:09

The Guardian has been supporting the Communist candidate. Communism is just as vile as fascism. The Guardian, of course, is the Daily Mail for people who think they're too good to read the Daily Mail.

claig · 26/04/2012 20:58

'The Guardian, of course, is the Daily Mail for people who think they're too good to read the Daily Mail.'

Very interesting point, flatpackhamster, and a lot of the people you speak of seem to be on MN.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.