My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

'This week' Portillo theory the child benefit 'attack' on middle class may be a tatcic for a leveler, as he expects a big 'attack' on lower income earners to be announced!

4 replies

Mummiehunnie · 08/10/2010 00:23

Yikes it makes sense, wonder what the next cut will be?

OP posts:
Chil1234 · 08/10/2010 06:51

It would be a shorter exercise to wonder where the cuts 'won't' be, I suspect. Calling it an attack on particular sectors will become redundant because people will be affected and feeling aggrieved right across the board. The independently wealthy will have sufficient cushioning to soften any blows going their way, but we know that already - it's why we buy lottery tickets.

Flighttattendant · 08/10/2010 06:57

I read that public sector workers in Ireland had already had a blanket 20% pay cut and it would probably be heading our way next.

I don't know how reliable this is as a guess.

Chil1234 · 08/10/2010 07:26

Ireland's economy is, sadly for them, in an even bigger mess than the UK - so it might not be the best example. There are widespread payfreezes in the public sector already.

legostuckinmyhoover · 08/10/2010 18:15

i heard a rumour that the public sector workers who were still promised a £250 year pay rise [that is, the public sector workers on less than 18k] may not be getting it afterall. it wouldn't suprise me at all.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.