Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

How to ditch bottle after 12 months

1 reply

mumstressoutmum · 25/01/2023 14:30

Hi,

Baby is 12m old. He drinks through a straw cup throughout the day (water) and has 2 bottles a day, once in the morning before a nap and once before bed. I don't know where to go from here. He likes being rocked to sleep with the bottle and won't sleep without it. I've set myself up for a miserable time lol.
The other thing is though, should I introduce him to a sippy cup (no teat, just a round non-spill cup) or just try and make the straw cup his only cup when trying to wean off bottles? I'm so confused. He seems too young to be able to use a round cup and needs handles - he can't even hold his Tommee Tippee bottles. Any help appreciated.

OP posts:
Please
or

CoalCraft · 25/01/2023 14:52

With my DD I first stopped the night bottle at 13 months. I basically completely changed the bedtime routine overnight - changed the order of things, introduced a story and dropped the bottle. It was fine, no complaints.

Then at 15 months we re replaced the morning bottle with a sippy cup. She was furious the first morning as she thought I was trying to give her water, but once she realised it was actually milk she was fine.

Please
or