Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wobbly DS in highchair at 7.5 months. Muscle tone?

6 replies

justmewithmylifetoday · 29/09/2022 20:33

DS 7.5 months (8 months in 2 weeks) has always been a very wobbly baby. I've had general concerns about his development all along, but although he's not sitting he is commando crawling and able to shuffle about on his tummy and is trying to lean up to sit from his tummy.

I'm after some advice about mealtimes. He currently is only able to sit in the Ikea Antilop with support in or a little bumbo type seat.

This is fine but when we are out he can't manage in the highchairs and he also starts nursery in a few weeks time and I don't know which highchairs they have.

If he has the strength to nearly crawl does this rule out low muscle tone in his trunk?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThreeFeetTall · 29/09/2022 21:12

My first baby was very 'relaxed'. I used to take the ikea cushion out with me to use in a cafe high chair or roll up my coat/jumper to stuff around him.
He walked quite late but is fine now (age 5) but is probably never going to be very sporty

Please
or

Rowen32 · 29/09/2022 22:53

Has nurse/HV had any concerns?
I think every child is different, have seen some that are okay in a high chair at that age and others that aren't but give them a month or two and they're grand too and there's nothing the matter with them..

Please
or

purpleme12 · 29/09/2022 22:56

What do you mean low muscle tone?
Anything up to 10 months is considered ok for learning to sit.
My baby didn't learn to sit till she just turned 10 months.
I was never concerned.
Thankfully we didn't have a hard highchair anyway.
When we were out we'd feed her in the pushchair

Please
or

Changechangychange · 29/09/2022 23:02

Think 7 months is still pretty young, especially in a high chair which prevents them sitting in a tripod position or using their legs for support (which is how babies usually start out sitting).

DS definitely had difficulties, I just sat him on my knee most of the time. Was fine by 14 months (possibly earlier, I’m going by his old photos), and is now a very sporty five year old.

Please
or

rewardacrosstrack · 29/09/2022 23:05

My DC started commando crawling just before 6m and pulled up just before 7m. Didn't sit at all until 8.5m and was quite wobbly if I sat him up before then. Heused to kind of recline on his arms, either on his front or side instead - I think he didn't see the point in sitting up if he could stay basically ready for action and was on the go all the time! Now a very agile 2.5 year old with no mobility concerns

Please
or

justmewithmylifetoday · 30/09/2022 04:21

Thank you for all your responses! Sounds like I just need to chill out a bit and give him chance to master sitting!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?