Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Dog at school and child with phobia

118 replies

LittleMissMe99 · 29/09/2022 19:50

In my daughters school they have a wellbeing area where all children can go. If they're upset, lonely, just want a chat etc. Really lovely idea I think and works very well. My daughter who is 11 (just started secondary school) won't go because they have a dog and she is terrified of them. Full blown phobia There have been occasions when she has been alone at lunch time and wanted to go there (where there are other kids in a similar situation). But she's too scared. She's a very shy and anxious child and will not tell them shes afraid of dogs. I'm wondering should I mention it to the school? They won't get rid of the dog because of one student will they? What would you do?

OP posts:
Please
or

Takingturnstogether · 29/09/2022 19:52

I don't think I'd do anything about the dog in school. Maybe try to get help for my child's phobia? I am aware that this is easier said than done!

Please
or

smileyplant · 29/09/2022 19:52

I would be looking at ways to help her tackle her phobia of.dogs. my cousin is terrified of dogs as an adult and its very distressing for him when he comes across them in public, going to the park, round friends houses etc. He wishes he'd tackled it when younger.

Please
or

mcdog · 29/09/2022 19:53

This is tricky, what would you like to happen if you do contact the school?

Please
or

Dotcheck · 29/09/2022 19:53

Ask the school if there are times the dog isn’t there.
However, this may be a great start to working on her issues with dogs

Please
or

Newuser82 · 29/09/2022 19:53

I would mention it to the school yes. I would be very surprised if they got rid of the dog but I'm sure they will be able to support your daughter with the issue.

Please
or

Lookingforrecommendations · 29/09/2022 19:55

My children both had severe dog phobias. I got a puppy. They both adore dogs now
I'd be working on that phobia as there are dogs everywhere nowadays.
A dog can be a wonderful stress reliever to children, but I do appreciate how difficult it is when your child is utterly terrified

Please
or

Ponderingwindow · 29/09/2022 19:56

you should tell the school. They aren’t going to remove the dog because of her phobia. They might offer her other support which would be a very good thing.

Please
or

GrimmTales · 29/09/2022 19:57

Definitely mention it. I think they will be able to arrange some dog-free areas or times.

Please
or

mantequilla · 29/09/2022 20:00

Are you able to help her with her phobia? Buy some books, some self CBT books for children?

The answer is to help your DD manage her phobia, not suggest that they get rid of the dog that the majority of the kids probably really enjoy.

Please
or

chineapplepunks · 29/09/2022 20:01

They won't get rid of the dog but maybe they could put other things in place? Definitely would recommend help for the phobia though! I used to have panic attacks around dogs, had exposure therapy and now I have 3 of the little buggers!

Please
or

AlwaysGinPlease · 29/09/2022 20:07

Would you want them to to get rid of the dog? If so that's incredibly unreasonable. Your daughters phobia doesn't trump the rights of all the non dog phobic children. If anything you need to take her to see someone about it because her life is going to be very difficult if this phobia isn't treated.

Please
or

Muddledandbefuddled · 29/09/2022 20:12

I'd definitely get on top of the dog phobia as it will be massively debilitating as she gets older. Eg where I live she couldn't go out for lunch or grab a coffee as everywhere is dog friendly, trains often have dogs on them, my office has an employee with an assistance dog etc.

Please
or

MissDollyMix · 29/09/2022 20:15

Please help her with her phobia. I have a lifelong phobia of another animal (not dog or anything obvious like spiders) but it absolutely controls and spoils my life. I wish I had been able to get on top of it as a child.

Please
or

FavouriteDogMug · 29/09/2022 20:16

If they have gone to the trouble of having a wellbeing area then I am sure they would want to put something in place for your daughter if they knew about her phobia. I'm pretty sure they would have some kind of plan for that as quite a few students either wouldn't like dogs or might have allergies, so this has probably been considered when getting a dog.

Please
or

Duchessofmuchness · 29/09/2022 20:20

Definitely mention to school. If their intention is to help students with their well ing, they need to consider students with dog phobia, those with allergies etc.

Please
or

whorebornin94 · 29/09/2022 20:22

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

TwoWrightFeet · 29/09/2022 20:24

Have you got your daughter any support for dealing with her phobia?

Please
or

TwoWrightFeet · 29/09/2022 20:25

MissDollyMix · 29/09/2022 20:15

Please help her with her phobia. I have a lifelong phobia of another animal (not dog or anything obvious like spiders) but it absolutely controls and spoils my life. I wish I had been able to get on top of it as a child.

Why not get help now?

Please
or

MissDollyMix · 29/09/2022 20:27

TwoWrightFeet · 29/09/2022 20:25

Why not get help now?

I’d honestly love to but I’ve no idea where to start!

Please
or

EskSmith · 29/09/2022 20:38

To those saying get on top of the dog phobia:
A: If it were that easy the op would be doing that already.
B. Even if she were to start the process now it will tak (quite literally) years,should she be unsupported until then?

Op, I suggest you speak to the pastoral team and let them know the issue, they may well have a solution to help your daughter and should certainly be considering those who just don't like dogs as well as those who are afraid of them.

Please
or

Dotcheck · 29/09/2022 22:49

EskSmith · 29/09/2022 20:38

To those saying get on top of the dog phobia:
A: If it were that easy the op would be doing that already.
B. Even if she were to start the process now it will tak (quite literally) years,should she be unsupported until then?

Op, I suggest you speak to the pastoral team and let them know the issue, they may well have a solution to help your daughter and should certainly be considering those who just don't like dogs as well as those who are afraid of them.

Phobias don’t have to take years to sort. Hypnotherapy can be quicker

Please
or

Kumri · 29/09/2022 23:34

Dogs are banned from all the schools round here, including playground areas, out of consideration for children who are (quite rationally!) scared of them.

I would explain the situation to the school and say obviously this is a problem, what are you going to do about it? The obvious solution seems to me that the dog should be in the head’s office or somewhere else away from children.

Please
or

Kumri · 29/09/2022 23:35

Dotcheck · 29/09/2022 22:49

Phobias don’t have to take years to sort. Hypnotherapy can be quicker

Why should OP’s child have to be hypnotised to accomodate a teacher’s desire to have their pet at work? It’s totally inappropriate.

Please
or

MolliciousIntent · 30/09/2022 09:52

Kumri · 29/09/2022 23:35

Why should OP’s child have to be hypnotised to accomodate a teacher’s desire to have their pet at work? It’s totally inappropriate.

Where did you get that it's a teacher's pet? It sounds like it's a therapy animal in the wellbeing area.

Please
or

BeeDavis · 30/09/2022 13:46

You need to take responsibility for your daughter’s phobia, like hell should they get rid of the dog. Did you not consider that this is a perfect opportunity for her to start to deal with her phobia? Dogs can be a lovely companion for a child.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?