Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Own up. Who ignores the 48hr rule on D&V?

Exhaustedmoose · 19/09/2022 21:20

Seriously we're (me and DH) assume pretty much everyone most of the time ignores the no nursery within 48hrs of the last D&V episode?

The expense alone would make people surely or play dumb?! "Oh they were fine this morning " etc etc.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Exhaustedmoose · 19/09/2022 21:21

Ignore my shit grammar I'm knackered

OP's posts:
Please
or

sheepandcaravan · 19/09/2022 21:23

I absolutely do not, and I also keep them out swimming for two weeks, but I understand I'm a small minority, one with chronic anxiety around my children.

Please
or

thelastgreatdynasty · 19/09/2022 21:23

Honestly? I didn't ever ignore the rule. You need time to recover from d&v anyway, plus I wouldn't want to spread it around to any other children/adults

Please
or

Smogtopia · 19/09/2022 21:24

I've only ignored it once when I knew DD had run riot at a party and eaten so much sugar and crap and then a long car journey home and she was sick before bed. I knew it wasn't any form of infection sickness and she was absolutely fine the next day.
Any other sickness or D even out of the blue I've stuck to the rules as I've seen those bugs decimate a household and won't be guilty for spreading germs

Please
or

Starlightstarbright1 · 19/09/2022 21:24

You are an arsole if you do...i was a c/minder for 10 years.. D&v bugs go through like wildfire.. it has lead to my setting closing costing everyone more time off work.

Please
or

Sniffypete · 19/09/2022 21:25

No I don't ignore the rule, even though others do. Their selfishness could put me in hospital.

Please
or

StrongCoffeeAvalanche · 19/09/2022 21:25

No I don't ignore it. To ignore it would be selfish, rude, a terrible parent and make me a complete cunt as I'd be first had responsible for making the nursery staff and other children sick.

Please
or

Pen89ox · 19/09/2022 21:27

Nah I’d never ignore it as firstly I genuinely wouldn’t want to risk any other kids getting it from mine and secondly because I would probably need 48 hours off work to fully recover after a sickness bug so my toddler would probably need the same and I’d hate to send him in when he still didn’t feel well.

Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 19/09/2022 21:27

Not for actual illness.

The day my child choked on her morning mug of milk and brought loads up... I told the preschool, they said she could stay but would call if she even looked off colour. She didn't.

We also bore witness to a horrible bug which decimated the school by having an interim fine period of two days before returning in dramatic fashion. The poor teachers coped with a lot of projectile vomit that week...

Please
or

Fantasticfroliks · 19/09/2022 21:27

I don't as I have an immune compromised child who ends up in hospital v I'll WITH D or V.
But I know some parents do.
Makes me so stressed

Please
or

FindingMeno · 19/09/2022 21:28

No.
What a crap move.

Please
or

ohfook · 19/09/2022 21:29

I've changed it to my own 24-hour rule.

Please
or

DariaMorgendorffer · 19/09/2022 21:29

I never ignored it. Wish more people followed this rule.

Please
or

Celeryfavour · 19/09/2022 21:29

Nope, I do send mine back in asap after the 48 hrs though eg after lunch or whatever.

Please
or

CakeIsMyFavouriteAndBest · 19/09/2022 21:29

My sister went into early labour due to selfish idiots who ignore the d & v rule and passed it onto her with her twins in incubators for a month.
Those that think they are above the rules don't think about other people. Just because you need to go into work so you send your kid into school, you don't realise what impact that might have on other families.
It also is the same when people are adults. I was pregnant with my eldest when a colleague announced she had been up all night with d & v but still come to work. Told my boss either her or I went home so he sent her home as I was more senior and needed at work more.
If more people actually thought about others and followed the 48 hr rule there would be less cases about.

Please
or

EcoCustard · 19/09/2022 21:30

Adhered to it through nursery & preschool with all 4 Dc. Still adhering to it with them at primary school and youngest at preschool.

Please
or

FlippertyGibberts · 19/09/2022 21:30

No, we always followed it because we try not to be dicks.

Please
or

JellyTots2022 · 19/09/2022 21:32

No never ignored that rule.
I caught norovirus off my eldest when he was in reception 2 days after giving birth. I would never put anyone through that hell.

Please
or

Chattycathydoll · 19/09/2022 21:32

No, I don’t ignore it. Incredibly selfish to. It causes a headache as I’m a single mum but that’s life, at least I have a job where I can wfh now.

Please
or

moonypadfootprongs · 19/09/2022 21:32

For actual illness it should never be ignored but if a kid has vomited due to travel sickness etc then surely they are fine to go in? My brother would have had loads of time of through junior school if mum had kept him off every time he threw up in the car!

Please
or

Lolacat1234 · 19/09/2022 21:32

Really I don't. It's a complete pain in the arse but think about how it is when it descends on your own household, to be guilty of spreading that to other people is really horrible.

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 19/09/2022 21:32

No, I wouldn't ignore it.

I would send them in if they'd been sick for another reason e.g. car sick, but if there was any chance it was a bug I'd keep them off.

It can be more difficult to tell if we're talking diarrhea only and it's a baby because nappies can vary.

I'd also probably round up, so if it was 46 hours at 8am, I'd send them in to school rather than having another day off when they'd be ok to go in at 10am anyway.

Please
or

Exhaustedmoose · 19/09/2022 21:32

If more people actually thought about others and followed the 48 hr rule there would be less cases about. I think this to

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jagley · 19/09/2022 21:33

Nope, always stuck to it as my son and I would become extremely I'll from it, so wouldn't inflict it on others. I'm not an arsehole basically.

Please
or

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:34

I never ignored it. I often kept them home more than the 48hr minimum because I wanted to be sure they not only weren’t sick but had their energy back before going back to nursery/school.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?