Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Starfish25 · 14/05/2022 09:25

Hi,
Hope i am posting on the right page.
My lb is nearly 8 months, been trying to wean him from 6 months. Tried him on home cooked food- tried blw but he hated it and is having jar foods and loves them. My concern is he is still having 4+month jars for his meals, he can't take to the textures in 7+ ones. He gags then actually vomits. How can i encourage him to try the older jars or home cooked meals? At meal times i give him a jar plus steamed veg ect on his tray but he will just touch it or drop it on the floor. Soon enough the small jars are not going to fill him. Thanks for any advice

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 14/05/2022 09:58

How does he deal with finger foods?

Please
or

IAgreeWithBryanCaplan · 14/05/2022 11:27

Does he eat home made purees? Just run some of whatever you cook for yourself through the blender. You can buy bags of frozen fruit as well that can be defrosted and put through the blender. If he doesn’t like something try mixing it with fruit. Some combinations that worked with DS are chicken and mango, beef and pineapple, kale and blackcurrant.

Please
or

Sbena · 14/05/2022 14:26

Try giving him a meal of half lumpy food and half pureed to get him used to ithe lumps slowly. Or give him a small jar with some homemade food to bulk it out - I would start off with the food he doesn't like or and then give him what he will eat easily afterward.

My son gagged and them puked on mashed banana the first time I gave it to him. I waited a few months to try again and he loves it now! You boy WILL get it eventually, just don't rush too much!

Please
or

RandomQuest · 14/05/2022 14:33

Have you tried homemade stuff but puréing it super smooth? Also the Ella’s kitchen 6+ month pouches are still a really smooth texture but just complex flavours and more filling than the 4+ month stuff so you could try those if you’re reluctant to put too much effort into homemade and see it rejected. Also, he’s only 8 months, not being quite ready for the texture of the 7 month pouches isn’t that unusual. He’ll get there, just keep trying and give it time.

Please
or

MolliciousIntent · 14/05/2022 17:38

If he's gagging so hard he vomits and is 8 months and still eating totally smooth purées, I'd want to get advice from a professional tbh.

Please
or

Dogsandbabies · 15/05/2022 08:33

I am in the same boat with my now 8 month old. I took him to the GP for advice. Apparently he still has a very strong tongue reflex hence all the vomiting. I was told to not insist too much with textures but to try them every now and then. Eventually he will grow out of it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.