Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

WEBCHAT GUIDELINES: 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. 5. If one topic or question threatens to overwhelm the webchat, MNHQ will usually ask for people to stop repeating the same question or point.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet Zoomchat with Michael Mosley

JuliaMumsnet · 15/01/2021 10:01

Hello

We’re pleased to announce a Mumsnet Zoomchat with longstanding Mumsnet favourite Dr Michael Mosley, the man behind the 5:2 and Fast 800 healthy eating plans. He’ll be chatting with Mumsnet HQ and answering all your questions on Wednesday 20th January at 7pm (NB: please note time change from 8pm), and you can book your place now by visiting our Zoom webinar link.

Michael trained as a doctor before becoming a journalist and television presenter and is probably best known for his TV programmes about biology and medicine. He’ll be coming to your TV soon with a new series focusing on his Fast 800 approach to healthy eating and weight and has a new book out - Fast 800 Easy.

So if you’d like to hear what he has to say and have the chance to put your questions to him, please scoot over to the sign-up page to book your online place. (Places are limited so it’s first come, first served.)

Just FYI if you join the Zoomchat your camera will be turned off by default. Your screen name will be visible, so consider whether you’re happy to use your RL name or want to use your MN posting name or something else entirely. We might ask you to turn your camera on if you read your question out ‘live’, but if you’d rather not that’s absolutely fine.

Thanks
MNHQ

MESSAGE EDITED BY MNHQ - STARTING TIME HAS CHANGED TO 7pm BECAUSE OF AN UNEXPECTED ADDITION TO MICHAEL'S DIARY. MANY APOLOGIES FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

Mumsnet Zoomchat with Michael Mosley
OP's posts:
Please
or

waydownwego · 15/01/2021 10:54

I hope anyone dialling in takes his advice with a pinch of salt (no pun intended) and that someone calls him out on his Channel 4 show.

www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/news/channel-4s-lose-a-stone-in-21-days

From BEAT:

‘We wrote to Channel 4 in advance of the programme voicing our concerns and providing guidance on reporting in a responsible and non-triggering way. In fact, the programme caused enough stress and anxiety to our beneficiaries that we extended our Helpline hours to support anyone affected and received 51% more contact during that time. It is very disappointing that once again, their needs have been ignored by broadcasters.’

Please
or

Alonelonelyloner · 15/01/2021 11:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

mumnowformerrockstar · 15/01/2021 11:59

Please
or

BIWI · 15/01/2021 12:05

Well I'm pleased, and look forward to it!

Please
or

Wolfff · 15/01/2021 12:14

I think he's brilliant. My husband who has type 2 diabetes, started the diet in September, has lost over a stone and 4 inches from his waist. He has been able to stop one of his meds and continues to improve.

Please
or

SiousieSoo · 15/01/2021 12:15

Basically the Fast 5:2 concept was originally devised by Professor Tony Howell, an oncologist and his colleague, Michelle Harvie. So I can indeed understand why people are sceptical about his medical credentials.
vital-nutrition.co.uk/intermittent-fasting-whats-the-deal/

Please
or

grey12 · 15/01/2021 12:15

I like his programmes. It is definitely different reading medical information with even a small amount of education. Having 1 year of anatomy and physiology education is different to 6 years medical school but is also different than none!

Please
or

BIWI · 15/01/2021 12:22

I'm really not sure why lack of 'experience' is an issue - he's someone who works with and uses the science. Because he has a science background.

Please
or

daisyjgrey · 15/01/2021 12:29

Please
or

heythereamigo · 15/01/2021 12:40

@daisyjgrey - can you show me the sources for that please? I'd be interested to read them.

I looked into the fasting around chemotherapy as a relative was going through chemo, and while I think he spins the narrative to make it stronger, there is quite a few bits of promising research.

Please
or

Offskki · 15/01/2021 12:41

Do you have references @daisyjgrey ?

My understanding is that his advice is not for people with eating disorders, but those at risk of death from obesity.

Please
or

daisyjgrey · 15/01/2021 12:42

@heythereamigo @Offskki

I'll see if I can dig it out for you!

Please
or

BIWI · 15/01/2021 12:42

Unless you have evidence of that statement @daisyjgrey that's libellous!

Please
or

ChipsWithThat · 15/01/2021 12:49

I'm doing the Fast 800 and have never felt so well. I'm eating a wide variety of delicious foods and losing weight nicely. Really enjoying it after lockdown overeating 😊

Please
or

daisyjgrey · 15/01/2021 12:54

@Offskki

It was definitely centred within an eating disorder framework. Not exclusively exacerbating already existing disorders but encouraging mindsets and habits that form disorders. I've got it somewhere!

@BIWI There are plenty of people who are entirely happy to follow his advice, and that is their prerogative. It would be unwise to blindly follow 'celebrity' dr advice without anything else to back it regardless of who they are. I'm sure he'll be fine Hmm

Please
or

Wallywobbles · 15/01/2021 13:26

I found his 5:2 program way back gave me the inspiration to make the first step. And honestly for obese people the first step is a mountain. Motivating others is an under appreciated talent.

Please
or

wowfudge · 15/01/2021 13:29

His programmes clearly state that the eating plans advocated are only to be undertaken by people who are obese/overweight and that they should speak to their GP before embarking on them. He is not responsible for people with eating disorders choosing to follow them when they are most certainly not aimed at them.

Michael Mosley collates the latest scientific findings on diet and its effects on the human body. He always credits those whose research he has looked at and utilised. He reversed his own type 2 diabetes with the benefit of the knowledge he has gained and the NHS has approved it.

To suggest he is a snake oil merchant or dangerous is incorrect and potentially libellous as a pp has pointed out.

Please
or

SiousieSoo · 15/01/2021 13:40

@wowfudge

He always credits those whose research he has looked at and utilised.

Has he actually credited Professor Tony Howell and Michelle Harvie as the originators of the 5:2 way of eating? I genuinely have never seen those statements, but I do stand corrected if he has.

Please
or

wowfudge · 15/01/2021 13:42

Have you read his books?

Please
or

SiousieSoo · 15/01/2021 13:45

@wowfudge

I have read the Fast 800, seen many interviews with him. I just wanted to know if he has credited those individuals above as being the creators of the 5:2 program and I honestly do not know. Every interview I have seen with him, article I have read about him has not mentioned this. As you mentioned he has the relevant citations I thought you would be able to answer this question rather that respond with another question?

Please
or

Afonavon · 15/01/2021 13:58

Well, I have found his plans the only sustainable ways of eating I have tried. I have lost 3 stone, and am eating healthier food than on any previous diet.

Please
or

BIWI · 15/01/2021 14:01

In his earlier book 'The 8-week blood sugar diet' there are 5.5 pages of notes, and certainly M. Harvie is credited there for a paper in the British Journal of Nutrition.

He introduces his book 'The Fast 800' by talking about the influence of the research by Professor Roy Taylor, at Newcastle University, and how this formed the basis of 'The 8-week blood sugar diet' (which incidentally also has an introduction by Professor Taylor). M Harvie is again credited twice in the end notes - which run to 5 pages.

Lots of the notes are '[x person] et al', so it's possible that Professor Howell would have been part of a team authoring various papers.

So I think it's fair to say that he does credit those who have inspired him.

Please
or

pensivepigeon · 15/01/2021 14:12

I think it's pretty empowering hearing about people who have managed to reverse Type 2 diabetes with these types of diets. It is also refreshing to hear that sometimes a calorie restricted diet is the best way to go. It gives people hope to know something can be done, sometimes. Yes, some people get eating disorders but if you are overweight or obese there aren't many other ways out of this situation. I don't have type 2 myself but have lost a significant amount of excess weight and fat from years of eating just a bit too much. I didn't formally do his particular diet (I use FitBit to log calories, macros and exercise and I run everyday) but have read about and agree with a lot of the principles of it.

Please
or

SiousieSoo · 15/01/2021 14:20

@BIWI

Thanks, it seems to be the case that he has built on the work of others to create a commercial product and has utilised a decent PR machine to monetise this program. I don't know why it bothers me that I feel he is perceived by many as the inventor of the 5:2 concept but it does...

Having said that, many of the recipes he has created with his wife are nutritious, filling and very tasty so I can appreciate the popularity he has gained.

Please
or

BIWI · 15/01/2021 14:23

In the blurb I've read (searched for 'who invented 5:2') he is often cited as someone who 'popularised' it, rather than created it.

But like any other good business person, he spotted an opportunity and has capitalised on it. At least, though, he's created an approach that is based on sound science and isn't just some kind of snake oil treatment!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.