My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is the home of Mumsnet classic threads.

Mumsnet classics

What Do You Remember About Your Grandparents House?

139 replies

RabbitsRock · 26/06/2023 10:31

This popped up on Facebook & I thought it was rather lovely - I have wonderful memories of my maternal grandparents house & my paternal.
When DBro & I were little, we were lucky enough to live close to both sets of Grandparents. I remember the garden at my paternal Grandparents house the most. Beautiful flowers including a bed of stunning cornflowers. And at the end of the garden, over the low wall, was the most beautiful meadow. It really was like something out of an American movie, complete with a white picket fence & horses. I also remember sitting on the stairs & being so thrilled that I could hear my brother talking to me from a little cupboard in the outside passage. Oh & I remember the bureau where Grandpa kept his big bar of Dairy Milk. I also found some Pan books of horror stories & gave myself nightmares!
My maternal Grandparents first house was lovely, with high ceilings & big windows. I remember the old fashioned radiogram in the dining room where we spent most of our time. We would have those mini Kellogg’s cereals whilst listening to radio 4. I remember the comforting sound the pantry door made & I could see Sally’s lead & bags of biscuits inside. Sally was a very cute fox terrier. I remember all the bedrooms, especially the cosy one at the back of the house with the airing cupboard. The biggest bedroom at the front had a magical cupboard full of dressing up clothes & hats. My Grandma used to be in old tyme music hall so I could try on all her costumes. I get my love of music from her. I remember practising my scales on her piano & my Aunty got fed up & asked me to play something else! I also remember a beautiful music box inlaid with pearls, from Israel I think. That was one of the things I wish I could have had after my Grandparents died.

OP posts:
lostinfusion · 27/06/2023 13:26

sinks in all the bedrooms
big grandfather clock in the reception
not really being allowed in the kitchen
the big dining table I used to sit under at Christmas
Gramps's big sit on lawn mower that he would let me sit on his lap sometimes when he mowed
those doily's you had over the headrests on seats to stop brill cream marking the furniture

lostinfusion · 27/06/2023 13:34

oh and the glass cases full of Royal Doulton Ladies & blue Wedgewood

StopStartStop · 27/06/2023 13:35

Tin of sweets in the pantry cupboard, always.
Big SMEG fridge.
Grandma's 'geegaws' (costume jewellery).
Tiny artificial Christmas tree with hundreds of decorations, dating 1930s onwards.
False teeth. They had all their - healthy -teeth removed in their twenties. It was a thing, then.
In my lifetime they had a big semi, then a self-built farmhouse, then a bungalow. The farmhouse had open stairs.

Upanddownthemerrygoround · 27/06/2023 13:38

At 41 i can still visit both my grandparents houses - my grandad has lived in the same house since about 1960, and my aunt lives in my other grandparents house (although it looks different now).

neither smell anymore of the smells of my youth though (tobacco, boiled vegetables).

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 27/06/2023 13:56

The occasional tea at paternal GM’s house - we didn’t live nearby. She gave us things my DM would never buy - e.g. Dairylea Triangles, Wagon Wheels or Penguin biscuits, and there was always orange jelly with tinned mandarin oranges in.
I loved those teas, and after she died, although it wasn’t very beautiful I took the glass dish that had always had the orange jelly in. I was seriously 😥when dh broke it.

Ameanstreakamilewide · 27/06/2023 19:15

RabbitsRock · 26/06/2023 10:31

This popped up on Facebook & I thought it was rather lovely - I have wonderful memories of my maternal grandparents house & my paternal.
When DBro & I were little, we were lucky enough to live close to both sets of Grandparents. I remember the garden at my paternal Grandparents house the most. Beautiful flowers including a bed of stunning cornflowers. And at the end of the garden, over the low wall, was the most beautiful meadow. It really was like something out of an American movie, complete with a white picket fence & horses. I also remember sitting on the stairs & being so thrilled that I could hear my brother talking to me from a little cupboard in the outside passage. Oh & I remember the bureau where Grandpa kept his big bar of Dairy Milk. I also found some Pan books of horror stories & gave myself nightmares!
My maternal Grandparents first house was lovely, with high ceilings & big windows. I remember the old fashioned radiogram in the dining room where we spent most of our time. We would have those mini Kellogg’s cereals whilst listening to radio 4. I remember the comforting sound the pantry door made & I could see Sally’s lead & bags of biscuits inside. Sally was a very cute fox terrier. I remember all the bedrooms, especially the cosy one at the back of the house with the airing cupboard. The biggest bedroom at the front had a magical cupboard full of dressing up clothes & hats. My Grandma used to be in old tyme music hall so I could try on all her costumes. I get my love of music from her. I remember practising my scales on her piano & my Aunty got fed up & asked me to play something else! I also remember a beautiful music box inlaid with pearls, from Israel I think. That was one of the things I wish I could have had after my Grandparents died.

Both my parents have 9 other siblings, so I have lots of cousins.

I feel like my Grandparents wouldn't have noticed if I had lived or died!
They just had so many grandchildren by the time I came along that they kinda thought - what's another one!?

Winnerturkeydinner · 27/06/2023 19:19

Tinned fruit salad and tip-top, gas fire, being able to stay up and watch dallas, brushed cotton stripey sheets. I miss my Granny every day.

raspberrycordial · 27/06/2023 19:25

I remember the swirly carpet on the stairs, my lovely granny ironing my nighty so it was warm before I went to bed. Her ginger cat, the boingy bunk beds with many sheets tucked in tightly like I was in a coffin (I loved it), getting my hair caught in the springs when I sat up, granny reading me Elmer and sleeping beauty. Playing the board game mastermind, apple squash. Loved it all, loved her so much.

Eviebeans · 27/06/2023 19:37

At my maternal grandparents a chenille tablecloth on the table- camping out under the table with my brother
my Nan making us a den under a tree in the garden which seemed huge to us as we didn’t have a garden
at paternal grandparents a garden with an old swing seat sweet peas and runner beans growing around the frame
a fierce cat that we couldn’t touch because it would scratch us. Being given very milky tea in the best cups and saucers.
no money for expensive toys etc in either house but lots of time for us - that’s what I try to give to my grandchildren now

Tiredmummaoftwo · 27/06/2023 19:42

Flowers absolutely everywhere in the garden. Little trinkets and pictures of the family covering the walls. Cosy lamp lit evenings. The BEST Christmas's squeezed around the table followed by the evening picky bits buffet. Those were the days ❤️

CherryRipe1 · 27/06/2023 19:45

Paternal: Dark Victorian house with their costumes shop below it full of weird & lovely apparel. Piano in the parlour & ornate dark oak fireplace. Guys hospital compulsory purchased it and there's now a cancer treatment center where it once stood.
Maternal grandparents were bonkers & lived in a council flat like Del boys. Irish nanna always making stews or boiling bacon.

nancy2022 · 27/06/2023 19:46

Even though there were early 60s when I was born they were very modern. New build house. Nice car. So I can't think off much. I absolutely loved my grandmas cooking. My grandad told me he fought with a tiger in the war. I told my teacher and years later obviously I realised it wasn't true. I miss them.

mewkins · 27/06/2023 19:52

I remember the smell of my GPs (council) house very well- the garden was all paving slabs and a low chain link fence and it had a unique smell which I occasionally get a wiff of now and it takes me back. They lived near a sugar factory and there was a strong smell of molasses in the air.

Whiskeypowers · 27/06/2023 19:52

Candy striped flannel sheets
hostess trolley
grandad’s pipe rack and tobacco
roast dinners cooking
fruit trees and hollyhocks and glorious roses in the garden
their sideboard full of treasures old tins full of black and white photographs
imperial leather soap
the Christmas tree and vintage decorations including PIFCO lanterns
ham and eggs from the butchers down the road
babycham and cherry b in little glass bottle
Wisden and cricket on the tv
the fire
Mary Berry cookbooks in the kitchen

the smell and sight of my early carefree childhood. I wish I could go back there

foreverbasil · 27/06/2023 19:53

Playing in "the entry". It was echoey. There was a huge wireless that had to be tuned with a dial. Tinned salmon and mandarin oranges with evaporated milk for tea (it had to be Carnation milk not Ideal milk which myNan considered to be inferior!)

Missingmyusername · 27/06/2023 19:54

I only knew my grandma on my dad’s side, the had passed away before I was born. I was lucky to have my nan until my mid twenties, my dad passed shortly after.
I remember baking, eating desiccated coconut straight from the box, there was a pantry, bread and butter pudding, pastries all fresh and warm. I could make a mess 😂 I could dress up in her flowing, flowered dresses, put on her jewellery she had bought on her holidays. We would have long chats. She had two small budgerigars, which we ended up with.
She passed away when she was 93.

Simplepink · 27/06/2023 19:56

Imperial leather soap, Bisto tins and the lost amazingly comfy beds.

other grandparents the smell of full english breakfast in the mornings and again amazingly comfy beds with faux sheepskin electric blankets!

PrincessHoneysuckle · 27/06/2023 19:58

Paternal gran.

Sports biscuits
Playing cards
Football on the radio
Yorkshire puddings as a starter with stunning hm gravy.

I really miss her.

Maternal Nan and Grandad
Massive massive garden with a tyre swing.
Pink guestroom
Homemade drop scones.
Piano.

MeinKraft · 27/06/2023 19:59

All the clocks ticking.
The smell of beef sausages frying. There was a frying pan full of fat that was rarely cleaned, just reused the next time something was fried.
Ulster maid ice cream with tinned pears.
Last of the summer wine on TV.
A shovel of coal being brought in from the coal bunker for the fire.
The Sunday service on the wireless.
A pair of those dogs with the chains painted on. You know the ones!

Goneback2school · 27/06/2023 20:00

I only knew my paternal grandmother and my maternal grandfather. In my grandmothers house there was a farmers kitchen table with a blue top and a bench to sit at. She used to sit at the end beside the aga stove and in front of a cupboard from which she would produce a chocolate/ biscuit when we visited. She would also always have birthday cards for all the grandchildren despite having a very large Irish Catholic family. There was the steepest set of uneven stairs covered in an orange/ brown lino. There was a dairy in the house which was cold with a flagstone floor. What she was mostly known for among all her grandchildren and some great grandchildren was a saucepan in the cupboard under the stairs which was filled with empty face cream pots, spools etc which were played with for decades. My son brought it up to the alter during her funeral.

My grandfather would have been unwell for as long as I knew him, he lived with his son and family in the family homeplace. I would remember visiting my cousins and then going down through the kitchen into his bedroom. He died when I was young but I distinctly remember how he looked sitting up in the bed. Mostly though I remember my aunts amazing baking, big family gatherings and being jealous of my cousins because they had the good toys like Mr Frosty and Commodore 64.

thecrispfiend · 27/06/2023 20:04

Oh my gosh sooo many memories of my paternal grandparents house
A 3 bed terrace
Tiny back kitchen that smelled of Morning Fresh washing up liquid. In the bottom cupboard were 3 old Vitalite tubs labelled with our names that our Nan kept topped up with midget gems Smile
The other cupboard was full of tins of red salmon as nan served salmon sandwiches to any visitors and I think a bottle or tubs of seven seas tonic for grandad. Also her beloved Ritz crackers
A small backyard with honeysuckle that smelled beautiful in the evenings and a shed with an old mangle in it.
Front room kept for best although nan used to take me in there and do ballroom dancing with me and sing "you are my sunshine "
Back room (living room) cosy - red carpet and grey couch our school photos on top of the TV. Blind date on tv on Saturday nights.
Grandad going off to his allotment on his bike via the back alley wearing his cap. Grandad pressing a pound into our hands at the end of each visit.
A toy box with an old spinning top and some plastic men one with a face and one with no face. A jack in the box and a laughing bag.
Back bedroom filled with packets of toilet rolls
Tiny coloured squares tiles in the bathroom.
Racing up the stairs with my sister to put talc on our faces and come down and scare the grown ups !
Front bedroom was my grandparents - yellow curtains and nans dressing table with Ponds cold cream. Tiny front box bedroom with a single bed where sister and I stayed while my brother was being born.
Feeling cosy and loved 🥰

purpleglitterglue · 27/06/2023 20:13

My mums mums house which she shared with her second husband was like the best ever, it seemed massive to me with three bedrooms, sliding door on the bathroom, massive dining room as kids me & db used to create a den under the table! Kitchen had a floor hatch to the cellar and the cupboards under the stairs were the favourite for hide and seek! I remember the living room fondly, beige walls, green sofas and green & pink carpet! I remember my Nan had a sketch done for my grandad which hung proudly in the wall - I used to love it, so much when my Nan passed I asked my mum for this framed sketch! Their garden was amaze, had my nans greenhouse and my grandads shed where he used to engrave plaques for trophy's for the team at the bowls club, I'd always get told off if I was in there, there garden backed on to a massive green then the woods where we'd take the two dogs. This was in barnet!

My dads parents lived in flats round the corner from us, I used to love playing hide and seek even though their flat was small I used to love their display of darts and skittles trophy's plus all the pics on their wall of their siblings (11 combined) their two children, 7 grandchildren including me and at the time their 9 great grandchildren!

My mums dads house with his second wife, I remember vividly, even when he passed during the lockdown, the house went on the market the decor was the exact same along with furnishings bar the updated tv and high system Grin I was never allowed upstairs in their house but I loved their garden and the fact their sitting room led onto the dining room which led to the kitchen which led to the utility and finally the garden. If the massive doors were open it would be like massively open planned ha

Walkermiss · 27/06/2023 20:16

My paternal Grandmother had a parlour (two up, two down Victorian terrace) with a highly polished piano that we couldn't touch. She always had cake and toffee in the pantry and the whole house smelled of polish. A thick, heavy table cloth draped over a sturdy table and a creaky rocking chair in the corner. She gave my brother and I an old silver teapot filled with water and cups and saucers so we could pretend we were in a cafe.

My maternal grandparents had a Victorian plate of a village scene hanging on the wall and my Grandad used to tell us stories about the people who lived in the village. Priceless memories which I've passed down to my grandchildren.

I remember my Grandma in the kitchen slicing bread against her apron (holding the loaf against her chest and carving off perfect slices of bread).
A yellow cup which was used for mashed boiled egg. A huge brown bowl full of stew. I now have the huge brown bowl and use if often.

A well scrubbed and polished door step.

So many happy memories and traditions that are still going strong.

Grandparents are such an important part of our lives.

MIBnightmare · 27/06/2023 20:19

Run it like fuck from the kitchen to the sitting room as they had a mahoosive house (12 beds ) .. but only heated the sitting room and the landing ... we used to bring duvets to walk around in ...

Typical fur coat no knickers 🤣🤣🤣

SushiSuave · 27/06/2023 20:34

My grandparents had a bay tree in a huge pot in the front porch. Every morning, after breakfast, my grandfather would go and give the tree a drink of the last of the tea in the teapot. Every single day :). They also called their living room the "drawing room" which confused me as a child. Finally I remember hot Rivera in bed in the morning while they drank their tea. Such nice memories - thanks OP.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.