My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This forum is the home of Mumsnet classic threads.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet classics

The people you briefly love when you have children.

401 replies

Psammead · 21/05/2012 10:50

Because they make your or your children's day.

I was thinking about this today when DD was waving madly at a bus driving by, and a woman waved back. Thank-you, woman. DD was very happy.

So.

1. People who wave from busses/trains etc
  2. People in shops who give your children something free (balloons, slice of luncheon meat, bit of deformed criossant etc)
  3. People who smile/wave/make funny faces/chat to your child in a queue, or on a bus, train, plane etc.

You are all brilliant human beings. Add to the list!
OP posts:
muminthecity · 21/05/2012 12:29

Far too many to mention but a few that really stand out:

Frank, the waiter at our favourite restaurant when we were on holiday in Spain. Made a huge fuss of DD (then 3), put big pink feathers and glittery stick things in her drinks and ice cream, gave her sweets and spent ages chatting to her. Then, on our last day when he found out it was her birthday, gave her 10 euro! She still remembers him, 3 years on.

The couple on the train home who were on their way back from Brighton. Spotted my DD admiring the huge teddy they had won at the fair and gave it to her to keep. She was so happy, her little face just lit up!

The woman who worked at Paul's patisserie in Victoria station who, after watching me struggle across the station in rush hour with a whiny 4 year old on my way home from work, called me over and gave DD a huge bag of chocolates. Made the rest of the journey home so much easier!

If any of you are reading this, thank you so much, your kindness made a huge difference to me and my DD!

MaMattoo · 21/05/2012 12:29

The garbage/refuse truck operatives who wave at my 2yo and flash the lights of the truck. It makes his face light up.
And the double decker london buses who wave and toot their hornsSmile
This thread made me smile and then weep soppy tears at the goodness in random strangers and how much being nice to a child means to the child's mother.

pocketandsweet · 21/05/2012 12:30

I LOVE THIS THREAD! Restoring our faith in humankind! Agree Greeks are brilliant with small kids.... Everyone seems to have endless time and I was often given free treats in bakeries "So You can make good milk!".

I would also like to any the lovely man who silently passed me a tissue and gave me a little smile when I was on a nine hour flight alone with my teething one and a half year old daughter after my dad's funeral. I was alone in the back row and when she finally feel asleep after 2 1/2 hours of crying hard I just broke down in a little silent cry ( thinking no one would notice me) and this hand with a tissue just appeared while I cried under my hung down fringe. Bless him!

PoohBearsHole · 21/05/2012 12:32

I particularly like the two motorbike coppers who will always stop and wave at dd/ds when they drive past and once let dd really look at the bikes and put the siren on Grin

PeppermintPasty · 21/05/2012 12:33

Oh NoOnesGoingToEatYourEyes, your cinema trip reminds me-we took ds for his first trip to the cinema to see Toy Story. We're from Cornwall but I'm originally from London and we were up there visiting . We ended up in Croydon, went to the Vue there. A large group of very cool older teens (all bling and hoodies and potentially scary) gathered round him and made a huge fuss of him when they realised it was his first trip. He'd never seen anything like them! Did all the "cool" stuff, bumping fists with him (he didn't have a clue), and they saw him when he came out too, cue second round of fuss. They were lovely, he was spellbound.

Primrose123 · 21/05/2012 12:39

The men in the helicopter that flew over our house when DD was about 3, the helicopter was very low, and the door was open at the back so we could see them, they waved back at DD, and I thought she was going to explode with excitement!

weirdscience · 21/05/2012 12:40

A few weeks ago I was passing a theatre on my way home from work and there were several buses lined up filled with young kids about to be taken back to school, they were all waving down to passers by and no one was waving back to when I got near I waved back and they all looked delighted (they were young about 5/6)

Then a leader/teacher in a hi-vis jacket came running over and told me off for waving to the children as it gets them too excited, she was really rude. I still remember being on school trips and feeling pleased if you could get someone to wave back at you.

rebelwithoutababy · 21/05/2012 12:43

This thread is making me LOL and cry in equal measures. Agree with so many of above, esp MWs at St George's Hospital, every single one was a guardian angel and made our difficult first birth so much better. Also the lovely girls at DD's nursery who have never made me feel like a bonkers overly controlling mother of a PFB (even though I know I am) and are happy to take telephone calls from me all day "just checking she had lunch/slept/hasn't died in her sleep/choked on her lunch"). And ditto all the more experienced mums in cafes who smiled and/or engaged me in conversation and made me feel human again in the first few weeks of DD's life when everything felt so difficult and confusing and out of control. I try to always do the same when i see new mums now.

ToastofWar · 21/05/2012 12:44

Too many to mention, but epsecially the passengers on our flight to Florida. DS2 had bad popping ears and was screaming and crying throughout the whole of the descent. Everyone around us, including DH and me, were trying to find ways to get him to calm down, swallow, etc. Then when we landed he was sick and suddenly all these hands around us were holding sick bags, others were calling for the air hostess, people were expressing pity for poor ole DS2 Smile.

Then they let us jump the queue to get off the plane, and this was after they had praised my boys on how well they had behaved on the long, boring 9 hour flight. DS2 even got some free cans of Pepsi, which he loved Grin.

Not one person tutted or complained and although I thanked them all at the time, they still don't know how much it made the trip much easier with their very helpful and tolerant stance.

BornSicky · 21/05/2012 12:46

the lady in the coffee shop who always puts two little biscuits on my saucer with my coffee... "One for mummy and one for the gorgeous little boy"

so sweet of her.

AspirantPirate · 21/05/2012 12:49

I love the people who see me with my three boys and say 'Three boys? Aren't you lucky?'

It makes such a lovely change from the people who suck their teeth and tell me I've got my hands full and how it must be hard work. And worse, say it IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN Angry

So thank you thank you thank you to all the people who make my children feel like they are a joy and not a burden Thanks

judgingamy · 21/05/2012 12:55

The man that ran into oncoming traffic to save DS's balloon that had blown away.

ScramblyEgg · 21/05/2012 12:57

The lovely woman in the Transport Museum toilets who made a sympathetic comment to me when toilet-phobic DS was having a very screamy meltdown.

The owner of the key cutting shop who doesn't mind us going in just so DS can look at his Henry Hoover.

BrainSurgeon · 21/05/2012 12:58

Oh I don't get many of those... the people I love most since having DS are the MNers on the "fussy eaters" thread who helped me keep my sanity and assure me I'm not alone in fighting the "starve him" brigade.

mousebacon · 21/05/2012 13:09

Oh this thread is brilliant and is making me weep! (37w pg in my defence!)

I'd have to add the bin men who stopped and waved and flashed the yellow lights every Wednesday for months when ds was obsessed with them.

The lady in m&s cafe just yesterday who secretly loaded up my saucer with the little free biscuits as ds had been so well behaved.

The elderly couple who gave ds £2 for being so sensible - it made his week!

theamazonstar · 21/05/2012 13:11

The lovely young woman on a flight who played with and talked to DD the entire journey while I had baby DS, and then helped me off the plane and out of the airport. Surely an angel.

The manager in a restaurant who picked up DD when she was crying uncontrollably and walked about with her so that I could finish my meal. She was spoiled by the whole staff!

Also every Italian I've ever met has been wonderful with kids. Is there something in the water?!!

WheresMyCow · 21/05/2012 13:17

To the owner of a local Chinese takeaway who gave DS a lovely little red envelope with a £1 coin in (I think it was at Chinese New Year. Such a lovely thought - and the money is still in the envelope Smile

PeppermintPasty · 21/05/2012 13:18

Back again Blush. The wonderful woman behind the counter in the supermarket who saw me in difficulties and whipped my 3 day old ds off me while I wearily faffed with the baby carrier. It was like a chinese puzzle to me at that point.

She took him out to the back of the shop and loudly told all her colleagues he was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen, then came back, having deliberately given me time to sort myself out, then told me how clever I was for giving birth to such a lovely boy. I think I filled up a bit at that point.

WhatWillSantaBring · 21/05/2012 13:21

What a lovely thread. Sitting at work trying not to let the tears start rolling and have just realised i've run out of tissues!

The lovely mother of three who was the ONLY person to offer to help me get my buggy up the stairs. Grin

The nice couple who swapped seats with us on a long haul flight so we could get seats where the bassinet actually fitted. (BA take note. If you retrofit things on to planes, the cue is in the name. RetroFIT. Not retroSTICKITINWHEREITDOESN'TFITANYWAY. ) (And yes, you moody French couple who sat like lumps, you did understand EXACTLY what the air hostess was asking.)

The wonderful MW who came out to visit me at noon on Christmas day and who made me feel better by claiming she'd much rather spend time with a new baby than with her boring in-laws at lunch.

Anyone who is nice about your DC. You know they are the most beautiful things in the world but its always good to have a second opinion Smile

TheFlyingFishFinger · 21/05/2012 13:21

One of the posh mums from school - she had DD round for a play date, and when I saw her next time in school she told me what an absolute credit she is to me and I should be very proud. I very almost cried.

The 2 teenagers in the post office when DD was about one, we were in the que and DD was crying in her buggy. A guy behind me ask if I could "shut that fucking kid up" I don't know what a shouted at him, I saw red two teenagers stepped in. One pulled me 2 the side and was rubbing my back the other was having a go at the guy.

Lovely lovely boys.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger · 21/05/2012 13:22

the man that stopped me at the traffic lights outside of tesco express who said he had witnessed my handling of DD when she'd knocked down a display in the shop and told me it was a great bit of parenting - chuffed to bits doesn't even begin to cover it Grin

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea · 21/05/2012 13:23

A girl called Maggie who was about 10 I think. She played with my DD (then 3) on the beach on holiday last summer.

After we had left the beach she discovered my DD's beloved Marmot-shaped backpack.

She remembered we had talked about going on a boat trip the next day and her lovely parents took her down the the right quay at the right time to return the bag, just as DD was starting to sob her little heart out at its loss.

Maggie, you are a star and I won't be surprised if you end up being prime minister one day (you have my vote).

CrystalsAreCool · 21/05/2012 13:25

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrianButterfield · 21/05/2012 13:29

The woman who, seeing me getting soaked to the skin while pushing DS who was snug under the raincover in his buggy, insisted on holding her umbrella over me while we crossed the road.

GooseyLoosey · 21/05/2012 13:34

The zoo keepers who closed the Bear enclosure after dd managed to drop her most beloved cuddly toy into their pool and was sobbing her heart out.

All those who have met ds's questions and enthusiasm with answers and enthusiasm of their own.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.