My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Book Swap forum to share and exchange your favourite books.

MN book swap clubs

Book Circle Thingamy! Take 2

668 replies

Flamesparrow · 16/11/2008 17:28

So - we're going to start again from Jan 1st!

If you were on the first and want to continue, then add your name to the list.

If you are NEW person wanting to join the circle, then please post on the thread and when we work out how many spaces there are we will add in as many as poss to make the number to twelve.

Flame
Psycho

OP posts:
Flamesparrow · 17/11/2008 21:29

At 7.20pm I remembered I was meant to go - it started at 7.40pm and I still had to get changed, walk to tesco for cash and then walk to the church.

I have no use in my legs.

Thankfully playgroup mates were there - they is not all fit and exercisey like her other friends - we died together.

OP posts:
psychomum5 · 17/11/2008 21:32

so, you did the exercise getting there then!!!

Flamesparrow · 17/11/2008 21:38

I was v warm even before the warm up

Ouch again btw

OP posts:
Cocodrillo · 17/11/2008 22:14

I thought 'big cheese' had made you think of your brie.

Re Flossie's earlier post, I really really hate SF/fantasy, but happy to go with the majority view. Willing to read non-fiction if it's really readable and doesn't feel like homework . Same goes for pre-20th century. Eg Wuthering Heights never felt 'homeworky' to me, but Bleak House made me feel like suffocating myself.

FlossieT · 18/11/2008 00:16

Coco asked for "pre-suggestions" last time round so that should work OK, I think.

I do read both non-fiction and classics, just in fairly small percentages compared to my overall reading. But I guess it wouldn't be all bad to read 11 new non-fiction books (it would probably be good for me...)

So, no chicklit, no mislit, no SF/fantasy. I will also note that I probably will post on unread any Big New York Novels as I have totally had my fill of them and then some this year.

Flamesparrow · 18/11/2008 07:51

Big New York Novels?

OP posts:
FlossieT · 18/11/2008 22:43

Seems to be the term for a big doorstop of a book in which the city of New York is nearly as much of a character as the (often paper-thin) characters who do their thing against that backdrop.

Zoe Heller's The Believers is the one that has had lots of reviews in the last month or 2. I haven't read that, but I did read Claire Messud - The Emperor's Children, which a lot of the reviews mentioned, and it really really REALLY annoyed me. REALLY. I didn't hate it - I do think she can write quite well - but her characters were SO ANNOYING.

Have also read too much Jay McInerney this year.

And I read The Nanny Diaries as well, which isn't a Big New York Novel, but does share some characteristics (i.e. overprivileged New Yorkers with too much money, lots of designer labels. eurgh.)

It's fine, it's quite a small category

squilly · 19/11/2008 12:57

So when do we start making our suggestions? Befoe or afer the Christmas book fairy has (santa willing) been? I can't wait!

Flamesparrow · 19/11/2008 13:50

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - would never occur to me to buy that kind of book

Make suggestions whenever you wish We could do with tracking down the rest of the current members to see if they are in or out, then we can open up to the new members (was thinking I would go down the old thread and see who asked to join, and just contact them in order?)

OP posts:
whispywhisp · 19/11/2008 14:37

Good idea flame....I'd definitely ask kormachameleon...she's a lovely reliable girl - she asked the other day. I can text her and ask her to get onto this thread, if that helps?

whispywhisp · 19/11/2008 14:38

Oh, I'm not saying we're not all lovely and reliable and I'm certain she'd be good at passing the books on...which I'm not!

shootfromthehip · 19/11/2008 14:49

I'd like to join if that's possible. Am reliable, have own car, will travel.

whispywhisp · 19/11/2008 15:03

shootfromthehip

sherby · 19/11/2008 15:06

I really want to join but am slightly scared, what does it involve exactly?

letuseatcake · 19/11/2008 15:08

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kormachameleon · 19/11/2008 15:09

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosmerta · 19/11/2008 17:29

Just catching up quickly! Would love to stay in, had a quick scan and would agree no SF/Fantasy, my brain just can't cope with it! Other than that, am happy to try anything really

1. Flame
  2. Psycho
  3. Squilly
  4. TheMadHouse
  5. FlossieT
  6. Coco
  7. Whispy
  8. Rosmerta
TrillianA · 19/11/2008 23:01

Me me me!

TrillianA · 19/11/2008 23:02

That was an unnecessary panicky sign-up, wasn't it? As if loads more people were going to post in the 5 seconds it took for me to click.

Can I join? Please?

Flamesparrow · 19/11/2008 23:21

Woah!

Everyone calm down

First we need to see how many spaces there are.

But with all the people wanting to sign up on here, I feel bad as I was hoping to look through the people who have asked throughout the year and ask them first, but then if none of the people on this thread get a space it will be too.

I don't know what we should be doing now!!

OP posts:
FlossieT · 20/11/2008 00:11

Starting two swap circles But all wannabe joiners of this one should be given full disclosure of the conception rate of the current circle before they sign up...

Flamesparrow · 20/11/2008 07:47

Two circles is likely! (Or we could just have one that lasts 2 years rather than one )

Have been thinking about the whole book choice thing.

I don't want to know in advance what I am getting as I like the surprise so...

ONE non-fiction
ONE pre-20th cent
TEN "normal" non chick/mis lit.

(We don't have to have either of the bonus categories, that is just the max iyswim)

Just say on here which category you want to do!

1. Flame - NORMAL
  2. Psycho
  3. Squilly
  4. TheMadHouse
  5. FlossieT
  6. Coco
  7. Whispy
  8. Rosmerta
OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

psychomum5 · 20/11/2008 08:07
  1. Flame - NORMAL
  2. Psycho - flame, what is mine??
  3. Squilly
  4. TheMadHouse
  5. FlossieT
  6. Coco
  7. Whispy
  8. Rosmerta

I have no idea whether mine is non-fiction or normal TBH......have three from the same author to choose from, and I think one is on flame's 'to-read' list, so she can say which one I send.
Flamesparrow · 20/11/2008 08:19

You can send either of the other two , so tis up to you if yours is a non or a normal.

OP posts:
rosmerta · 20/11/2008 08:59

Oh, I'd better start thinking of something to send!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.