My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Confused & need advice!

14 replies

Alycatt · 06/06/2010 15:19

I had a mc at 5 weeks nearly 4 weeks ago. EPU did not scan me and sent me away (13 May) saying I would need to wait it out until I got a negative test. I bled for 10 days then stopped for a week [started ttc this week presuming it was all over]. Started bleeding again, still testing + and advised to go to EPU 3 days later on Fri for a scan. Did a test Fri am and it was negative, EPU would not scan due to neg test. Did another one Fri pm still negative. Had sore BBs on sat pm - did a test which was positive and a clearblue digital one today [Sun]and it said 1-2 weeks pregnant. Any ideas is this still HCG from mc or a new pregnancy?

OP posts:
Julezboo · 06/06/2010 15:26

Gosh how confusing for you. I think you need a scan, this would be the only way to determine whether it is a new pregnancy or still left over from mc.

Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck x

thumbwitch · 06/06/2010 15:31

Sorry to hear you are going through this and for your loss.

I am surprised that they didn't check your HCG levels via a blood test though. A scan would probably not have shown anything so early on, especially if it wasn't in the uterus itself, maybe that's why they didn't want to do it - but they should have done the blood test for you.

I MC'd last year and it took 5 days for my HCG levels to come down from 4000ish (too low anyway) to 199; and another 2 weeks later it was down at 0. So by that reasoning, you should be clear of the HCG from your MC - but I don't know how variable it is between people - the only thing to do is to check again with the digital or go to the doc for the blood test and then check again in a bit to see whether it's rising, falling or staying the same.

ClaireDeLoon · 06/06/2010 15:53

I think they really have to scan you, it all sounds very confusing for you, and they don't seem to be giving you very good care at all.

Can you go back tomorrow and just insist on being given a scan do you think?

My sympathies though, you're going through a very difficult time.

LunaticFringe · 06/06/2010 19:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

hairytriangle · 06/06/2010 22:21

It could well be a second pregnancy as you had a zero reading in the middle - treat it as if you are newly pregnant if I were you and don't let anyone bully you into anything at the hospital.

Ask if they will do Beta HCG tests to monitor the levels - that should give a good indication of a healthy pregnancy.

hairytriangle · 06/06/2010 22:22

don't forget HCG lower than 1,000 and a scan will not show anything!

Alycatt · 07/06/2010 08:45

Going to GP this morning - well couldn't see GP but seeing triage nurse and will insist on a blood test! Still bleeding though so its all really confusing & wouldn't be so bad if I had not had the 2 negative tests on Friday. Another morning off work - bet my boss is really happy!

OP posts:
ljg72 · 07/06/2010 09:43

Hope all goes ok?...take care of you! and don't worry about work...Hugs X

Alycatt · 07/06/2010 10:01

Just done another positive test [thought I'd just do one before my appt to show I am not a complete looney!]. Also spoke to a friend who is a midwife - she said that it is not uncommon and to insist on a beta HCG test to see if the levels fall or rise. She said that the bleeding is kinda irrelevant.

OP posts:
Alycatt · 07/06/2010 11:40

So...... the GP thinks I'm probably pregnant although I'm not convinced. Had to be very insistant about getting a beta HCG blood test. The surgery had only done 1 of these inthe last 10 years! Going back on wednesday for another one. TBH I'd just want to know either way

OP posts:
LunaticFringe · 07/06/2010 11:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

thumbwitch · 08/06/2010 00:13

fingers crossed for you alycatt - hope the GP is right.

Alycatt · 14/06/2010 18:31

Stupid NHS & their lack of aftercare. I'm posting this so that others searching the net can see that even a early mc is not straightforward. Here's what happened to me after 3 years of TTC and 1 healthy child born in 2002:
LMP 7 April
BFN 4 May
BFP 6 May
MC 12 May started bleeding
13 May visit local EPU - wouldn't do anything, no scan or pregnancy test
20 May Stopped bleeding & thought it was all over
28 May Bleeding starts again
4 June Went to EPU, had -HPT so told to go home, no scan
5 June Sore BBs so did test +HPT
6 June Digital HPT +1-2 weeks
7 June Insisted on Beta HCG test at GPs [result 19] as Dr thinks its new pregnancy
9 & 10 June Heavy bleeding & clots
10 June 2nd Beta HCG [levels now 26]
11 June Still bleeding & passed sac [sorry if this is TMI but also saw tissue the size of a prawn & it looked exactly like the picture you see in books - not what I expected to see]
14 June still bleeding although not heavy.
Wonder when its going to end! Sorry for ranting but needing to get this off my chest!

OP posts:
Alycatt · 14/06/2010 18:32

Stupid NHS & their lack of aftercare. I'm posting this so that others searching the net can see that even a early mc is not straightforward. Here's what happened to me after 3 years of TTC and 1 healthy child born in 2002:
LMP 7 April
BFN 4 May
BFP 6 May
MC 12 May started bleeding
13 May visit local EPU - wouldn't do anything, no scan or pregnancy test
20 May Stopped bleeding & thought it was all over
28 May Bleeding starts again
4 June Went to EPU, had -HPT so told to go home, no scan
5 June Sore BBs so did test +HPT
6 June Digital HPT +1-2 weeks
7 June Insisted on Beta HCG test at GPs [result 19] as Dr thinks its new pregnancy
9 & 10 June Heavy bleeding & clots
10 June 2nd Beta HCG [levels now 26]
11 June Still bleeding & passed sac [sorry if this is TMI but also saw tissue the size of a prawn & it looked exactly like the picture you see in books - not what I expected to see]
14 June still bleeding although not heavy.
Wonder when its going to end! Sorry for ranting but needing to get this off my chest!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.