My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Miscarrying - what to do?

11 replies

User13355 · 17/11/2023 16:30

Hi all. I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and been having brown spotting for 6 days. I had a private scan last Sunday where we did see a heartbeat but the sac and embryo were very small. Plus the sac was abnormally shaped. I've got a hospital scan at the EPU next Friday 24th but today I'm now getting red blood so think a miscarriage is starting now. Do I need to do anything or do I just wait this out at home? Do I need to inform the hospital and see if they need to scan me sooner?

OP posts:
DustyLee123 · 17/11/2023 16:31

I’d ring 111 for advice

User13355 · 17/11/2023 16:31

They would just tell me to go to A&E which I would prefer not to do. I'd sooner just get another private scan.

OP posts:
igivein · 17/11/2023 16:33

It's been a good few years since I was in this position, but I just had to wait it out.
Sorry for your loss Flowers

User13355 · 17/11/2023 16:36

@igivein thank you can you remember how long it took? Red blood only just appearing now when I wipe.

OP posts:
CuttingMeOpenthenHealingMeFine · 17/11/2023 16:41

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Do you have an early pregnancy unit at your local hospital? They were who dealt with me during my recent miscarriage, they scanned me, confirmed a loss and then gave advice on what to expect next. Have a Google and if you have one then give them a ring.

CuttingMeOpenthenHealingMeFine · 17/11/2023 16:42

Sorry just seen you have an appointment at EPU you can still call them for advice.

User13355 · 17/11/2023 16:42

CuttingMeOpenthenHealingMeFine · 17/11/2023 16:41

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. Do you have an early pregnancy unit at your local hospital? They were who dealt with me during my recent miscarriage, they scanned me, confirmed a loss and then gave advice on what to expect next. Have a Google and if you have one then give them a ring.

Thank you! Yes I have one and they had booked me in for an early scan for next Friday 24th due to abnormal findings at my last scan indicating threatened pregnancy. Do you think I should contact them sooner or wait for that?

OP posts:
igivein · 17/11/2023 16:42

I had gripey pains for about 2 hours, then proper 'contraction-like' pains for about half an hour, then a gush of blood (sorry if TMI) and it was over.
I kept bleeding for a couple of days I think, but like a normal period.

Whataretheodds · 17/11/2023 16:44

I'd call the EPU now, or duty midwife.

Keep track of blood loss and how often you're filling a pad. You can take Paracetamol for the pain. Stay wrapped up warm.

You don't really know for sure until the scan confirms.

If you start filling a pads within 30 mins then go in.

Sorry it's rubbish.

User13355 · 17/11/2023 17:32

The thanks everyone - atm the blood isn't much mainly when I wipe but I've put a pad on to see as this evening is the first time I'm seeing red blood.

OP posts:
CluelessInLondon · 17/11/2023 17:55

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. If you can get in touch with your local EPU and explain that you are bleeding they might be able to bring your scan forward. In the meantime, the advice I was given when I was miscarrying was to go to A&E if I was either filling a pad within an hour or if I was in pain that couldn't be managed with normal over the counter painkillers (neither of these things happened to me - my bleeding was only ever light and then stopped, so I ended up having surgical management). Unfortunately there isn't much else that can be done at this stage - make sure you take it easy and look after yourself. ❤

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.