My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

MMC but hcg doubling

5 replies

elisha1375 · 09/11/2023 18:25

Hi, so I’m booked in for medical termination next week for MMC. I’ve uploaded my two scans, first one is 5 weeks 2 days, they said they saw fetal pole which I was shocked about and second is a week later with only a 1mm growth which they deemed as non viable. My HCG was drawn privately after this and it’s still doubling and I’m so confused. I know MMC are so hard because you have zero symptoms. I’ve had absolutely no bleeding, no cramping apart from after my first internal scan, nothing to indicate pregnancy loss. I’m just so confused, I’ve now mentally grieved my loss but still thinking what if there’s that 1% that they made a mistake.

MMC but hcg doubling
MMC but hcg doubling
OP posts:
WutheringMights · 09/11/2023 19:01

I'm so sorry you're going through this @elisha1375

Measurements at this stage of a pregnancy are never exact so to base a MMC on measurements alone isn't the norm. Did the sonographer mention the heartbeat on your second scan?

elisha1375 · 09/11/2023 19:16

There wasn’t a heartbeat but I was only just 6 weeks and if I’m honest I don’t think she was looking, she made the decision it wasn’t viable straight away. The only thing I think she may of got wrong was seeing the fetal pole at just 5 weeks, she even said I think that’s the fetal pole. I’m sure they’re right but I really don’t trust the EPU and they’ve rushed everything, had the scan and was told pregnancy isn’t viable not let me get another opinion. And within 15 minutes I was thrown loads of leaflets and told to leave and to book in a medical for next week, just left feeling really unanswered

OP posts:
Tadpolle · 09/11/2023 19:19

Is it an option to wait longer and continue to monitor HCG and have another scan later? Personally I wouldn't do anything except wait and see, if my hcg was doubling.

Whatintheworldgirl · 09/11/2023 19:25

elisha1375 · 09/11/2023 19:16

There wasn’t a heartbeat but I was only just 6 weeks and if I’m honest I don’t think she was looking, she made the decision it wasn’t viable straight away. The only thing I think she may of got wrong was seeing the fetal pole at just 5 weeks, she even said I think that’s the fetal pole. I’m sure they’re right but I really don’t trust the EPU and they’ve rushed everything, had the scan and was told pregnancy isn’t viable not let me get another opinion. And within 15 minutes I was thrown loads of leaflets and told to leave and to book in a medical for next week, just left feeling really unanswered

I understand how hard it is to get your hopes up and then feel like you're grieving and then the rollercoaster continues. It's so hard to know who to trust and what's right.

Personally I'd go for a second opinion lovely. If your HCG is doubling somebody needs to check this out. What week are you at currently? I know your last scan was 6 weeks? Just to give you peace of mind and rule out anything else. People can make mistakes, plus by your description the person doing the sonogram wasn't exactly fully invested in their answers.

Whatever happens you are doing amazing! You have our support 🌸

WutheringMights · 09/11/2023 21:52

As others have said, wait a week and have another scan. The NHS usually require a second scan to confirm a MMC so i'd be surprised if they proceed with medical management before performing a second scan anyway.

The heartbeat isn't always visible at 6 weeks but it will be by 7 weeks.

Definitely have another scan.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.