Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Missed Miscarriage (MMC) and progesterone?

PCOSWarrior · 29/12/2021 15:11

Hi,
I conceived in November 2021 on my second cycle of Clomid 50mg. I have just found out that I have had another MMC. My first MMC was in November 2020 (we conceived naturally whilst on the waiting list for NHS help).

Both MMCs happened when the baby was 5-6 weeks. The Dr said there was a fetal pole but no heartbeat and nothing has changed in the week between scans. I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow, grateful to the NHS for their help, but also so very sad and hoping to find answers.

I have PCOS and I was prescribed progesterone pesseries this time after requesting to be tested, but by the time I had got the appointment, had the first and then second blood test 3 days apart, waited for the results and then ordered my prescription as the pesseries were not in stock, I was already nearly 6 weeks pregnant when I started using them, so I do wonder if maybe I just didn't get the medication in time? It is no ones fault - the doctors were amazing and I requested the tests the day after my first strong positive pregnancy test - everyone moved as quickly as they could, I just think we probably missed the critical moment.

Does anyone have experience of missed miscarriage and using progesterone?
Or perhaps recurrent missed miscarriage with PCOS that had a different cause?
Or any success stories following recurrent miscarriage? I could really use a boost to my spirits today. Smile

Thank you xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

HopeSpringsEternal123 · 30/12/2021 10:22

Hi @PCOSWarrior, firstly I am sorry for your loss.

I had a MMC (just found out earlier this week) and as I had IVF I was on progesterone right from my egg collection so that was 5 days even before the embryo was transferred. From what I understand the most common reason for miscarriage is chromosomal abnormalities of the embryo and so I don’t think progesterone could do anything to prevent this, however I know it’s being recommended now to anyone who has had a miscarriage (and if you have IVF they give it as standard). So I guess this is a long way of saying although progesterone can certainly help, it isn’t a guarantee. I’m sure next time they can ensure you get it earlier too. Sending you hugs xx

Please
or

PCOSWarrior · 30/12/2021 17:43

@HopeSpringsEternal123
Oh my dear! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and I am so sorry for your loss too.

I do hope you can heal physically and emotionally swiftly, and I wish you all the very best for the new year ahead xxxx

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.