Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

D&C appointment?

amazilan · 12/01/2021 17:47

Just wondering if anyone can help me...
I had a scan today at 9 weeks which showed I'm measuring 4 weeks behind so looks like another miscarriage. I've got an appointment next week for another scan just to confirm whether baby has grown or not. Since this will be my third miscarriage, I've been recommended a D&C (unless my body naturally recognises it between now and then) so they can check the reason for the miscarriage. If anyone has experienced this, how soon after your scan were you booked in for D&C?
Also what can I expect? Google says it can take around 15 minutes and you can leave the same day which has terrified me but I'm hoping it's different in the UK and I can have general anaesthetic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 12/01/2021 20:28

Firstly, I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I found out at my 12 week scan that our little one had died at 10+5 approx.

So there are two options for surgical miscarriage: MVA and ERPC. I'm not sure which you have been offered but I had ERPC.

I took some time to think about it, but once I decided I was booked in within 5 days. I had to have a covid19 test and isolate before it for 2 days (test on friday, appt on Monday). Unfortunately I was last on the surgical day list so did have to wait around midday until 5.30pm for surgery. My husband ofc couldn't come to any of this because covid19.

The professionals were all really wonderful. The surgery itself was v short , approx 20 min. The whole thing to be put under GA, surgery, then woken was about 45 mins. I then had to wake properly, eat, drink, and wee. So I was let home about 730pm.

Feel free to ask me any Qs at all about the process or aftermath x

Please
or

amazilan · 12/01/2021 20:45

@TheDaydreamBelievers thank you so much for sharing and I'm so sorry for your loss. My biggest concern is that I've never had GA so I'm worried I'll have a reaction even though it's so rare but I can't think of anything worse than being awake for it.
How long did you bleed for after and was it heavy, with/without clots and tissue? I imagine there wouldn't be any tissue or clots. That was the most horrendous part of my last MC, the tissue was traumatic to pass.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 12/01/2021 21:06

No clots or tissue @amazilan - 1.5 weeks of extremely light brown blood like the last day of a period, often not even touching a pad. I also had bright red bleeding one day, for a couple of hours heavily. However that was after heavy exercise

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 12/01/2021 21:08

I was lucky that I had GA for a surgery in my late teens so knew I'm not allergic or anything. However bad reactions are honestly v rare

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 12/01/2021 21:10

I also want to add - they sent me home with painkillers of 3 strengths - ibuprofen all the way to dihydracoedine but I didnt need them at all. I've had far worse period pains and didnt experience much cramps at all

Please
or

amazilan · 12/01/2021 21:19

@TheDaydreamBelievers that kind of the selling point to me, I just don't want the horrendous cramps and bleeding and passing tissue. I have a good pain threshold so hopefully I wouldn't have to have the drugs either.
The issue is, since it's my third I'd prefer to have a D&C to see whether there was a reason for the miscarriage but as I'm sat here typing I can feel the cramps staring and I already have a tiny amount of spotting yesterday so it may be too late.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 12/01/2021 21:22

Unless they believe it has all passed they will still be happy to do surgery @amazilan. I started spotting the day before my surgery and they still wanted to go ahead. I'd definitely call first thing tomorrow

Please
or

tamsin424 · 18/01/2021 07:50

So grateful to have stumbled upon this thread. After seeing a strong heartbeat at 7 weeks sadly at our 9 week private scan on Thursday we were told the baby had died and a missed miscarriage diagnosed. Told the baby had likely died at 7w5days. The last few days have been a complete blur, terrified to leave the house incase I start bleeding and just feel so trapped and broken. I've got an appointment this morning at the EPU at 11.40 for a scan to confirm and then discuss options. I know 100% I want a surgically managed miscarriage under full anaesthetic but terrified I'll be made to wait weeks, just wondering how long it took anyone else to get surgery? I think if it's any longer than a few days I'd want to try and go privately, just can't take anymore of this :(

Please
or

amazilan · 18/01/2021 10:45

@tamsin424 I'm so sorry you're going through this too. I have my appointment tomorrow but have ended up naturally miscarrying. I would 100% push to get booked in for a D&C! My previous miscarriages were all earlier so weren't too painful but this one was at 9 weeks and I've never been in so much pain. Unfortunately for me I couldn't get a D&C in time but I'm hoping the worst is over.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.