Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

First period after miscarriage

dippyegg32 · 16/12/2020 06:48

I had an ERCP 9 days ago. I'm having a follow up scan tomorrow to check everything's alright.

Reading online it sounds like the first period after miscarriage is pretty horrific.

Could anyone kindly share their experience, please? Pre-pregnancy (mmc at 7w, baby died at 6), my cycle was regular (ish) 22-25 days and my period was quite light lasting four days.

We are not going to ttc again. Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedPandaFluff · 16/12/2020 06:57

Hi @dippyegg32 - I'm sorry you've had this experience; I've had a couple of miscarriages and I found it really hard emotionally, but physically, it wasn't too bad. I don't remember my first periods after the ERPC as being worse than any other; in fact, as far as I remember, it was lighter and I felt fine.

Good luck with your scan tomorrow - I hope you'll be able to move on Thanks

Please
or

IWantT0BreakFree · 16/12/2020 07:06

I recently had a miscarriage at 7 weeks too. First period lasted 2 days and was very light. No pain or other symptoms. I now have my second period which feels very normal and the same flow and symptoms etc that I usually experience. From reading around the subject, it sounds like women who are further along (9, 10 weeks +) tend to experience the more severe symptoms of miscarriage and subsequent disruption to their cycle. Hopefully things should be fairly quickly returning to normal for you, physically at least.

I hope you’re Ok and have good support Flowers

Please
or

pinkcattydude · 16/12/2020 07:12

All of mine (had 6) were perfectly normal after each op.

Please
or

dippyegg32 · 16/12/2020 07:38

Wow thank you all so much for replying. I take it's ok to go back to tampons for first period? I hate pads! This whole process feels like the loneliest ever but these threads have made me feel so supported.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedPandaFluff · 16/12/2020 16:55

I think you have to avoid tampons for a certain period of time after the ERPC - maybe a couple of weeks, but I can't remember for sure, best to check with your doc. I think the month after is fine though - it's to reduce the likelihood of infection immediately post-procedure.

Please
or

dippyegg32 · 16/12/2020 18:11

Thanks. I guess I'll just be on period watch over the next few weeks. Hate the not knowing when it'll come!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 17/12/2020 11:37

Once you have stopped bleeding from EPRC , you can use tampons again @dippyegg32. My medical professionals told me that first period after MC is usually heavier (if theres thick lining left to clear) or lighter (if they cleared a lot) but not necessarily painful.

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 17/12/2020 11:38

Sorry, I know that's not a personal experience , I've not got to period yet!

Please
or

andadietcoke · 17/12/2020 11:46

I had a very (very) heavy period. To the extent that I had to go out and buy a change of clothes at lunchtime at work. Not something you can prepare for other than making sure you have some heavy duty san pro and clean knickers / trousers / skirt etc in the car. I'm sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself and talk as much as you need.

Please
or

Bridiemj88 · 18/12/2020 08:23

had a MC oct 9th and waited two weeks to see if i passed naturally. It didnt so did the meds and waited three weeks but still had a positive test so went for scan and there was a 2cm bit of tissue left so did 2nd lot of meds. I got a negative test so thought it had worked but when i went for a scan it was still there so had an MVA. Im now nearly three weeks post mva. The bleeding stopped about 2 weeks ago. But for the last 7 days i have been having spotting/clots of dark brown blood and a small amount of bright red. Now i thought i ovulated 23rd nov as temp dipped and lh surged but signs of pregnancy like last time. I had a lot of cramping before this bleed so genuinely thought AF was due but just got what i described. I did a few tests and had the faintest of lines- like i had to shine a light to see, but then the next day it was stark white so could have been an evap line??? I guess i just want to know if the brown blood for 8 days (probs longer) is normal after an MVA and if it is classed as a period?? Xx Sorry to post my question here but dont know how to create a nee one x

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 18/12/2020 09:39

@Bridiemj88 after MVA you can bleed for up to 3 weeks. It should be mostly light and brown bleeding.

I had an ECRP not MVA (but MVA was one of my options) and they said dont have sex until you stop bleeding post- procedure and it's best to wait until after a natural period to try to conceive again

Please
or

Bridiemj88 · 18/12/2020 10:06

The bleeding stopped days after my MvA, it has been about 2 weeks no bleed. Until now where i have had brown blood for 8 days now x

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 18/12/2020 10:59

@Bridiemj88 I know first period after MC can be really odd like long or short, light or heavy. So it might just be a period. However I'd also call your EPU just to chat it through with them. I take it you have no signs of infection? Like no smell, temperature, flu symptoms, shaky etc?

Please
or

Bridiemj88 · 18/12/2020 11:50

No nothing like that. X

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.