Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When do you think the bleeding has 'stopped'?

Poppy10121 · 30/04/2020 16:41

I had medical management on Monday 13th April for a missed miscarriage and medium/heavy bleeding for 2 weeks following that. This week its pretty much over but still getting some spots when I wipe, none on the pad now though.

I've read that you should wait until bleeding has 100% stopped before having sex again but I really want to, both for TTC again but also just to feel close to my husband again, while I was pregnant I went right off sex and it has been over a month now. I've only had this really light spotting for 4 days now. Does this count as "stopped" or do I wait for a day with literally nothing on the tissue?

Does anyone have experience of something similar?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bubblybon2020 · 30/04/2020 21:53

Hi, so sorry for your loss, I had a miscarriage on the 9th April. And bled heavy for 4 days. But after that I had light pink spotting for about 7 days. I still DTD during the light spotting, and everything had been ok. Just got to do what you feel Is right I guess.. xx

Please
or

Poppy10121 · 01/05/2020 08:46

Sorry for your loss too @bubblybon2020, I hope you are finding it easier with time and thank you for replying!
I think you’re right, I’ve just really struggled throughout this because I feel like the medical guidance we get feels far removed from the reality eg when all the nurses said it’s “like a heavy period” and then “just wait for it to stop before...”
I’ve never had a period where I’m lying on the floor from the pain with blood pouring out for hours at a time! And I thought the bleeding would end more abruptly but it seems like the slow tapering off might last ages. Grr. Just want life to get back to normal!

OP's posts:
Please
or

tryingtimes20 · 01/05/2020 09:54

Hi Poppy - I know exactly how you feel Flowers

I had SMM around the same time as you and although I feel very good in myself and had two days where I thought the bleeding had stopped towards the beginning of this week, I keep having recurrences in the late morning/early afternoon where a bit of (what looks like) dark blood will come out. It's very small, about the size of a couple of 10p pieces on a pad.

I think I've read pretty much every thread on the internet I can find about bleeding after a MC, and - as expected - experiences vary hugely! I do still hold to that if you're following the general pattern of the bleeding getting less over time, then I think that means things are OK. I 'feel' alright in myself which I'm hoping means that everything is resolving, just very frustrated and betrayed by my body!

EPU have just given me the usual 'it can take time' for everything to resolve, but because I'm a naturally impatient person I've booked myself in for a private scan tomorrow which can hopefully give me some more information and (fingers crossed) reassurance that everything is OK. If everything looks alright, then husband and I are hoping to resume intimacy after that.

Please
or

Poppy10121 · 01/05/2020 13:49

Thanks for your reply @tryingtimes20 x
Do you mind me asking how much a private scan costs and how you found somewhere in your area?

I am planning to do a pregnancy test tomorrow as it will be 3 weeks from initial diagnosis and if it’s negative I guess we can resume ‘normal’ life.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tryingtimes20 · 02/05/2020 06:15

@Poppy10121 Definitely, if the test is negative I think that's a really good sign. I last tested on Thursday and am still getting a postive on a 10mIU test, but I can see it's getting fainter from previous days. I will test again next week and hopefully also have a negative by three weeks post-op.

Re. the scan, I am just going to a private clinic that does pregnancy scans near me - if you search 'private pregnancy scans [your area]' you should find plenty. I advise calling them up (also to make sure they are open as some are closed with the current circumstances), explaining you are just seeking a reassurance scan post MMC to make sure everything looks healthy (i.e. there are no RPOC, lining is regenerating, ovaries look alright...) and see what they say. The place I go costs £40.

Please
or

Poppy10121 · 02/05/2020 09:10

Thanks @tryingtimes20 that’s really helpful.

I did the test and I’ve still got a super faint positive but it’s only a week since the main big bleed so will have another go in a few days and then maybe contact for a scan. Hope it goes well for you!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.