Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Think I’m miscarrying - 9.5 weeks

HarrietM87 · 13/04/2020 08:29

I had a bleed last night when I went to the loo - fresh red blood and I think a clot. I’d had no pain before and very strong symptoms so it was a total surprise. Overnight I’ve had period-like cramps. Bleeding has stopped but still spotting when I wipe. I’ve had 4 previous miscarriages but the cause is now treated and they were all pre 6 weeks so I was so hoping this one would be ok - had 2 good scans at 6 and 8 weeks.

Has anyone experienced this and had a good outcome? Or can tell me what to expect? The EPU is closed so they’ve told me to go to A&E if I want to be seen today, or wait until tomorrow. I don’t know what to do.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VenusStarr · 13/04/2020 09:28

I'm so sorry @HarrietM87 for peace of mind I'd go and get checked out today ❤️

I have had 3 miscarriages. With my second I miscarried slightly earlier at 8+6 but that one started in a similar way with me passing the pregnancy the following day. I had early scans but not seen a heartbeat, so was a case of when not if I miscarried.
I managed at home with regular painkillers and a heat wrap, I don't want to go into too much detail but can if you think it would help.

I'm hoping this isn't another miscarriage, sending you lots of love xxx

Please
or

HarrietM87 · 13/04/2020 12:06

I went to A&E but they wouldn’t scan me, and told me the EPU won’t either. They’re not doing “reassurance scans” atm apparently! I just feel abandoned and alone. Trying to book a private scan because I need some answers.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chopsuey1 · 13/04/2020 12:26

Thats not necessarily true. 'Reassurance' scans are cancelled-meaning you have no symptoms. If you are bleeding heavily or having severe pain then you will still get a scan. Call Epu tmrw morning for advice. They may scan you but in a week rather than immediately.
Hope everything is ok either way. We are here for support. I had a miscarriage last week x

Please
or

tryingtimes2020 · 13/04/2020 14:46

Hi Harriet, firstly so sorry you're going through this. Just like the others have said, this wouldn't be a reassurance scan - you suspect you've suffered a miscarriage and have been bleeding, that's enough for EPU to scan you.

If you'd already had two good scans and saw a HB, it could be that you're just having a random bleed (did they diagnose you with a hematoma at any of the previous?) and I'll cross my fingers for you. At 9w5 you would be passing more than a clot when the actual embryo comes out.

If EPU still won't see you, there should be plenty of private clinics in your vicinity that will. They can have a look and - if it is bad news, although I hope not - that will be enough to trigger EPU to take action again.

Call them first thing tomorrow and have your second call be a private clinic if EPU won't play ball.

Please
or

VenusStarr · 13/04/2020 15:00

I'm sorry @HarrietM87, I hope your epu will see you. I echo the others, you are experiencing miscarriage symptoms so hope they scan you xx

Please
or

HarrietM87 · 13/04/2020 15:25

I will try the EPU in the morning. I heard the drs in A&E discussing it from behind the curtain and basically it’s their policy (and I think EPU policy - though it was closed today) not to do any scans at the moment because they won’t affect the outcome.

No issues came up on my previous scans - all seemed normal and good. I haven’t had any more bleeding but pretty much constant period type pain.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HarrietM87 · 14/04/2020 20:26

A happy update from me - managed to get a private scan today and everything looks absolutely fine with the baby. They couldn’t see a reason for the bleeding and cramping - there was a shadow that could have been the remains of a clot but it’s barely there now and basically nothing to worry about.

I had a massive gush of fresh red blood followed by 24 hours of painful cramping. Just if anyone else is in the same boat and reading this - it doesn’t always mean bad news even with blood + pain.

Thanks so much for all the kind and supportive messages - they really helped.

OP's posts:
Please
or

opalescent · 14/04/2020 20:29

Lovely news, congratulations Harriet ☺️🌈❤️

Please
or

Sweetpea84 · 14/04/2020 20:30

Lovely to read good luck with pregnancy 🤰

Please
or

Chopsuey1 · 14/04/2020 21:49

Brilliant news! And good that you updated on here. It will defo give people hope. Wishing you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy. Its such a rollercoaster!

Please
or

VenusStarr · 15/04/2020 06:28

Wonderful news @HarrietM87 ❤️

Please
or

ChampooPapi · 16/04/2020 18:27

@HarrietM87 amazing news, so happy for you. I'm going through a similar thing myself at 8 weeks, I know absolutely every pregnancy is different, but it really has given me comfort reading your update 💜

Please
or

ChampooPapi · 17/04/2020 17:31

Just to update my own news, all ok my end. Scan revealed twins and the bleed was implantation bruising which some people absorb and some will bleed out around this time (8 weeks).

I like to update for the people who search in the future, I've come across a lot of threads where you never find out and you always fear the worse

Please
or

ProfInkly · 17/04/2020 20:28

I'm glad to hear you have both had good news. I'm 8 weeks and have had brown sporting for a week. I wasn't concerned but it's turned red and increased today. What will be will be I guess, but I'm glad to read your positive stories.

Please
or

ProfInkly · 17/04/2020 20:29

Spotting, not sporting. Sorry.

Please
or

ChampooPapi · 17/04/2020 20:40

@ProfInkly yes this is exactly the same as mine. We all know each pregnancy is different, so it can be the start obviously of something not good. But it sounds pretty textbook to me of a bruise bleed from implantation like mine was. I had exactly the same symptoms, brown blood for over a week, then red blood for two days, not floods, just when wiping and when I went to the loo. Wore a pad. The sonographer said it's about 50% of the time the reason at this time for a bleed like that so I hope you have a good outcome, I really do 🤞

Can you get a scan? I phoned the go and they refered me, usually the best way. They will obviously call you back so you don't go into the practice

Please
or

ChampooPapi · 17/04/2020 20:40

*phoned the GP

Please
or

ProfInkly · 17/04/2020 20:46

Thank you. I called midwife today but they haven't called back. I was just discussing with my partner about maybe going for a private scan. I think we probably will.

Please
or

ChampooPapi · 18/04/2020 18:27

@ProfInkly I really would recommend you try your gp practice and get them to call you back. They can refer you for a free NHS scan that will be much sooner then a private scan.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.