Second ERPC :(
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 18/12/2019 11:58
Just wanting some advice/experiences on this. I had a MMC in October and have had Medical management and an ERPC (three weeks ago). Went back for a scan today and turns out there is still retained products.
I am so devastated. My pregnancy tests are negative and I had stopped bleeding at the weekend so was sure they were going to say all was ok today. Instead I now have to have a scan with a consultant to see what happens next. The nurse was sure it would be a second ERPC but the scan with the consultant now suggests that there may be an issue with this.
Has anyone any experience of this? I'm so sick of being told that this will work to then find out a few weeks later that it hasnt. Im really beginning to think that there is something wrong with me. I am terrified of a second operation and so worried about the long term implications on being able to conceive and have a baby.
Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated ❤
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 18/12/2019 20:53
Just putting a bump on this to see if anyone has any experiences on this ❤
SoonToBeMrs91 · 18/12/2019 20:56
Hi OP, sorry I can't offer any advice but just wanted to send you virtual hugs. I can't even imagine what you're going through xx
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 18/12/2019 21:07
Thank you @soontobemrs91 ❤
I am feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight. It's just that it has been two months now since the MMC and I am still in complete limbo as to what is happening. I cant understand why my body will not do what it is supposed to. I guess I will find out more on Friday. Counting down the hours already!xx
Bumbers · 18/12/2019 21:10
My friend had this. She had to have a second ERPC.
She then got pregnant a few months later and her son is 5 months.
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 18/12/2019 21:22
@Bumbers you have no idea how your post has just given me hope. Literally sat here all teary eyed to know that this has happened to someone else and they had a positive outcome. Thank you and congratulations to your friend xx
Bumbers · 18/12/2019 21:39
I am so glad. It is horrible- I have had one ERPC and that was hard enough. But do not give up hope. xx
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 19/12/2019 11:29
I'm just dreading it. The fact that there is a now consultant involved - I cant work out if this is a good thing or something to be worried about. Argh the whole thing is so frustrating! Xx
GoldenBauble · 19/12/2019 11:52
GoldenBauble · 19/12/2019 11:58
Sorry try again
Hi @isittimeforbubblesyet. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I don't have any direct experience myself I'm afraid but I too am worried about retained products. Did you have any symptoms? I had surgery almost 3 weeks ago. My bleeding has almost stopped and the pregnancy test seems negative today so I was keeping everything crossed that all would be ok. I don't have any follow up planned at all which makes me more anxious I think. Hopefully all will be well. I have heard of other people's experiences where they were given medication to try and remove the retained tissue so maybe this could be an option? I've also read other people's experiences where they were told the remaining tissue was so small it would just come out with their next period. So this might also be another outcome. I think the fact the consultant is involved is definitely positive as they are the most experienced and can offer you the best advice. As lovely as I found the nurses at epu they gave me different information to the consultant so I would be inclined to take their advice and feel reassured you are in the best hands
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 19/12/2019 12:33
Hi @GoldenBauble I am so sorry to hear you are going through this too. I hope you are ok? I had my ERPC three weeks ago today and physically, I feel fine. I had a negative test on the 11th Nov after I had medical management first so the ERPC was supposed to be because my lining was thick. My bleeding stopped last week so I was fully expecting to be told yesterday that I was all good to go again. Instead she told me I now had retained product which I think is different to what I was originally meant to have had the ERPC for. I very much hope that there is another option other than the ERPC as I cant face the operation again. Saying that, I cant handle the unknown either
The nurses did say to that it is quite rare for an ERPC not to get everything so I really hope that it has worked for you. If you're bleeding has stopped and the test is negative, it sounds like you are on the right track. I would call the EPU for another scan though if you are not sure. It is only because I have called them (this has made my anxiety go through the roof!) That I have been seen and scanned and I am where I am now xx
GoldenBauble · 19/12/2019 15:08
@Isittimeforbubblesyet similar to you I am feeling fine. Physically the recovery seems to have been quite quick but I have been frustrated at the ongoing spotting/bleeding. Even though this is clearly old blood I hoped it would have stopped completely by now. EPU have told me this is normal but I still feel quite anxious about the possibility of retained tissue . It's a horrible situation all round. Ah ok yours does sound slightly different to mine. I had a MMC and opted straight for surgery so I (hopefully) had everything removed all in one go.
I hope you get some answers soon. The anxiety is horrible and I can relate to just wanting to feel back to 'normal' again and for this whole experience to be behind me. I can't say much as I am a real worrier and whittle about everything, but try not to worry too much as it may turn out to be something minor that will correct itself
Isittimeforbubblesyet · 20/12/2019 15:24
Just an update on my appointment with the consultant today. They still are not sure if I have retained products. Apparently there is something there but retained products are usually quite obvious and this isn't. The lining of my womb is still thick but they don't know if this is my cycle trying to get back to normal. As this has now gone on for so long (8 weeks), they are wondering if whatever was remaining has turned into a polyp and I now have to have a hysteroscopy. However, I'm not considered an urgent case so could be up to a month before this is done. Have been told not ttc until this has been sorted.
So, still in limbo. No idea if this is better than definitely having retained products or worse. I'm just so done with this now. I get that there is no magic wand but I so badly want this to be finished.
GoldenBauble · 20/12/2019 21:53
@Isittimeforbubblesyet I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the answers or reassurance you were looking for today. It really is horrible being in limbo. I guess the positive is they are going to look into it so you will get to the bottom of what's going on, but the wait and uncertainty must be awful
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.