Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Worried

AlviesMam · 10/11/2019 11:43

Hi all
I had a still birth a few weeks back due to a heart defect. We get our results in January as we opted for genetic testing.
We do obviously want to try again but I'm worried incase it was caused by our genes , we got told this was very unlikely and just one of those things but can't help feel worried.
My question is, if it was due to our genetics can anything be done?
Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

mynameisMrG · 10/11/2019 11:50

I think it depends on what it was that caused it. I am sure someone will be along with more specific information but I have friends who had genetic ivf as one of the couple carried the Huntingdons gene. They also have genetic counselling. Fingers crossed for
You and so sorry for your loss

Please
or

MrsHardbroom · 10/11/2019 12:58

Hello, so sorry for your loss. Thanks
If any genetic abnormalities are found, you will be offered a referral to a clinical geneticist who will talk you through the chance of this happening again. Most congenital heart defects are one-off occurrences though. Hope this helps.

Please
or

AlviesMam · 10/11/2019 13:25

Thank you both.
I really want to believe that it's a one off occurrence and my doctor did tell me this too, but I also miscarried at 7 weeks (my still birth was 22 weeks) In January which again my doctor told me they are unlikely to be related but I can't help thinking in the back of my mind that there's something wrong with me and that my body has caused this defect :(

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.