Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

20 weeks scan no heartbeat

avocadoincident · 22/10/2019 05:47

I just want to know what to expect really.
We happily skipped into the 20 week scan not expecting any bad news. All has been well up to now, but the baby had stopped growing two weeks ago.

I've been told to stop breastfeeding my 18month old so I could take the necessary meds to induce labour.
So now we have a crying mum and toddler in the house.

We have to wait until Wednesday when the hospital will push labour on with more medication.

Anyone been through the same thing who can tell me what to expect on Wednesday and the days after?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Littlegoth · 22/10/2019 05:54

No advice, just thinking of you. I’m so sorry this is happening to you x

Please
or

WhyWhyWhy2019 · 22/10/2019 05:56

So sorry to read this post. I cant imagine what you must be going through. I have no advice, just lots of prayers and hugs. X

Please
or

Starstruck2020 · 22/10/2019 06:10

I’m so sorry to hear this, it is a devastating thing to hear at an ultrasound.

As a lactation consultant can you double check the information you have been given about stopping breastfeeding because of the drugs, I’m not convinced that is accurate. Of course if you are ready to wean then that is completely up to you, but I would want it to be on your terms, not because you were told so. Flowers

Please
or

whymewhyme · 22/10/2019 06:29

I have no advice but all i can say is im terribly sorry for your loss. Take care x

Please
or

HeatedDryer · 22/10/2019 06:38

I'm so sorry. I went through almost exactly the same, but this was 10 years ago so I don't know if things are different now. I had to take a tablet, then go back into hospital 2 days later, I was given a pessary to start labour which I had gas and air and pethadin for. I won't go into further details here but I am happy to PM although I am in and out today. I needed counselling afterwards to deal with what had happened. Sending you strength and love. Thanks

Please
or

avocadoincident · 22/10/2019 06:42

@Starstruck2020
To be honest everyone was scratching their heads about the predicament because there aren't any conclusive studies on it. So it was airing on the side of caution type of advice. Plus they said they can offer a wider range of pain relief like morphine during the labour.

I'm expressing and dumping at the moment and then hopefully the toddler will still know what to do in a few days time. My body will know I have given birth so they said I'll have plenty of milk again. At least I've got an 18 month old to take it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

avocadoincident · 22/10/2019 06:44

@HeatedDryer it sounds like the same plan to be honest. I've taken a tablet yesterday and am going in tomorrow.

I would appreciate any information you are happy to share in a pm.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HeatedDryer · 22/10/2019 06:48

No problem I will message in a bit.

Please
or

HeatedDryer · 22/10/2019 07:27

@avocadoincident sent you 2 messages, please read them in order, I hope they come through in 2 parts.

Please
or

lumpy76 · 22/10/2019 11:06

So so sorry!! But if it helps I took the tablets and pessaries for a mmc and was breastfeeding at the time. I was told it was fine. I found great comfort in breastfeeding after xx. So sorry again xxx

Please
or

lumpy76 · 22/10/2019 11:08

You can have morphine and breastfeed - I had a c section and breastfed a new born! Also had fentanyl and other opiate based painkillers. If you want to carry on breastfeeding please make the doctors get properly informed xxx

Please
or

avocadoincident · 22/10/2019 17:26

@lumpy76 this is really great news as although we only feed 2-3 times a day she's going out if her mind not being allowed to feed.

The tablet I've taken is to soften them cervix. Does that sound similar to you. Then tomorrow I'll be on a drip.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lumpy76 · 22/10/2019 19:09

Yup - I took mifepristone orally and then misoprostol vaginally 48hrs later.

Please
or

avocadoincident · 22/10/2019 19:50

@lumpy76 well your advice was great no contacting the breastfeeding network who advise on drugs when feeding and they agreed. I could've been feeding all along. Thank you soooo much and to everyone for your help and support.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lumpy76 · 22/10/2019 21:09

Bless you! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Will be thinking of you and your babies.

Please
or

Rose87777 · 22/10/2019 22:41

I am so very sorry this has happened to you. Thoughts with you dear OP Flowers

Please
or

avocadoincident · 23/10/2019 08:13

This charity network was an invaluable resource last night. I just wanted to share it with you incase you come across others who need to know anything about medication and feeding

20 weeks scan no heartbeat
OP's posts:
Please
or

Babushkacandle · 23/10/2019 08:20

Sorry for your loss Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.