My feed

to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Please Help, Advice & Guidance Needed

4 replies

Anous · 13/12/2012 11:21

Hey All,

I will try to keep this brief:-

LMP 14/10/12

HCG TEST - 06/12/12 - 10500
HCG TEST - 10/12/12 - 12400
HCG TEST - 12/12/12 - 11500

SCAN (due to slight throbbing sensation, lower left abdomen) - 10/12/12 Sac seen measuring approx 5 wks, no yolk, no pole etc. Also 4.5cm abnormal cyst right ovary, blood test confirmed non cancerous.

SMALL BLEED (NO CRAMPING) 11/12/12 - two little finger tip sized clots, stopped within an hour.

Ok the above gives a brief breakdown of recent events. I am now being told they think I am miscarrying and wanted me to go in for a D&C tomorrow. I am in a dilemma, I don't want to practically abort a baby that could have conceived later than expected (I have long cycles, at times irregular) and I have read that a transvaginal scan can cause small bleeds. The scan I had was quite rough as they needed to get images of the cyst. Am I being unreasonable and putting myself and family under unnecessary stress by asking to wait until 21/12/12 to have my next booked scan before proceeding with D&C? Has anyone else experienced anything like this and what was the outcome please? I am in turmoil, I just don't know what to do for the best.

Thank you in advance for your help xx

OP posts:
sundaesundae · 13/12/2012 15:22

Have they not offered a wait and rescan? Or are they saying as you are three weeks behind your dates they feel confident it isn't progressing.

Honestly, if it was me I would wait a week and ask for a rescan to see if there is any growth, but it also does sound quite bleak. I hope you get a rescan in a week and see growth and a HB.

Were they worried that your bHCG, because that is a normal level for 8 weeks and at 8 weeks you are at the point it will stabilize.

I am so sorry that this is all happening to you.

lavender39 · 13/12/2012 18:22

Hi there.

I would say, if only for your own peace of mind, to have the other scan you have booked, before having the D&C.

No one can say what the outcome will be, but either way, you will know you have given things that extra bit of time....

Take care x

nananaps · 13/12/2012 19:25

Yes agree, ask for re scan in the next 7-10 days to be sure. nature may intervene in the meantime though. (sounds like blighted ovum)

IME this does not sound good, but for your own peace of mind, a further scan will give a definitive answer for you.

FWIW blood test bHCG are not worth the paper they are written on from my experience.
Mine rose and is till miscarried so i tended to refuse to have them as they gave no meaningful information whatsoever.

Bakingtins · 14/12/2012 13:23

I guess you've made a decision by now but I would also wait if there is any doubt about your dates or you could have ovulated late, and I'm surprised that they are not insisting on a rescan.
I know it prolongs the agony of waiting but if there is any chance at all you are just not as far along as expected I would not have a D+C.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.