My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

is first trimester sex a risk factor for miscarriage?

2 replies

blackcatsdancing · 05/02/2012 10:45

I was browsing a Zita west book yesterday and saw that she advises couples with a history of miscarriage (she didn't specify what she meant by that) and IVF couples to abstain from penetrative sex for the first trimester. I know if you have cervical problems sex can be ill advised but why else would sex be bad? I've not read anywhere else that having sex can lead to a miscarriage. What does everyone think? I actually like most of what she says (importance of relaxing, being positive, good nutrition etc) but can't see any evidence behind this.

OP posts:
Marrow · 05/02/2012 10:49

I don't think it's so much that sex can cause a miscarriage. Just that if people do have a history of miscarriage or have had trouble TTC then it can be easy to blame themselves when things go wrong. Abstaining from sex can help reduce all the "if onlys" and "What ifs" if things should go wrong and help you feel that you gave your pregnancy the best possible chance. Sorry poorly worded but hopefully you know what I mean!

lola4lee · 07/02/2012 20:24

I would also have to disagree, as long as it isn't painful then it is fine but if worried ask doctor but it sounds like bs to me.
x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.