My feed

to access all these features

Use our Single Parent forum to speak to other parents raising a child alone.

Lone parents

Advice re housing benefit - please!

7 replies

girliefriend · 11/07/2008 21:28

Hello am single mum to one dd (2.5yrs) and still living with my mum! This was only ever meant to be a short term arrangement but it has turned out to be slightly more long term! Was wondering what other single mums know of housing benefit how it works etc as would like to move in to a rented flat or something but can't get the figures to add up! I work part-time and earn just under £12'000 a year, the money I will have to live on will be this and tax credits (I don't get any child maintence) any advice would be apreciated! How do other single mums manage?! xXx

OP posts:
shelleylou · 11/07/2008 21:43

Are you on your local council housing list?? If you are if you can find an appropriate privately rented property they may help you with the deposit etc.

The council will need proof of income etc. The amount you earn will effect your claim for HB, you may be entitiled to some. Have you tried you local council website i know mine has a calculater on there where you input your income details rent etc and it gives you your entitlement to HB ant council tax benefit. HTH

charlotte121 · 12/07/2008 11:15

im trying to get hb atm. the council look at ur bank statements...child tax credits, child benefit and any other income your getting... just to warn u now its not easy, my council are really dragging their feet with mine.

MarsLady · 12/07/2008 11:26

Benefit calculator site

girliefriend · 13/07/2008 11:51

Thankyou for that link really useful, am on the council list but need to chase them as haven't heard anything since dd was born! Now feeling motivated hopefully can start looking for somewhere to rent in the mean time, according to the website should be entitled to £70 a week hb (does that sound about right?!) which would make it managable! Thankyou xXx

OP posts:
shelleylou · 13/07/2008 15:03

keep phoning them and badgering them make sure they know you have a dd. I was on the council list for 3 years 2 of which where before ds was born. I phoned them up and they said 'your due a baby soon aren't you' my reply "yes this time a year ago!!" Makew a bit of a nusience of yourself ime it helped.

MumtoPhoebeboo · 14/07/2008 17:31

There's also a really useful website which, if you input your postcode, will tell you the maximum rent per week that your council will pay (via Housing Benefit). Some of your earnings and tax credits will have to go towards the rent, but it gives a good indication of the type of places you can rent, budget wise!

girliefriend · 14/07/2008 20:37

Thanks guys!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.