Mumsnet Logo
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Unhappy with Solicitor

NaToth · 11/10/2019 12:35

As executors, DB and I instructed a local solicitor to deal with our mother’s estate. He was very pleasant and helpful and gave us a fixed price quote that was very competitive and which we accepted. We left all our papers with him and expected him to start work, especially as we had made it very clear that they needed to apply for probate before a set date five weeks ahead because I was due to have some medical treatment which would mean I couldn’t get into their offices for anything up to three months. There was no indication that this would be a problem.

When we hadn’t received a client care letter after a couple of weeks, we phoned and found he had left. The man who had taken over sent us a client care letter with different figures in it; an hourly rate that would double the bill. We phoned him and explained what had been originally agreed and, on his instructions, amended the client care letter to that effect and sent our copy back, signed.

Fast forward and the solicitor didn’t meet the deadline. My DB has been in this morning and had it out with him and, among other things, the new solicitor has said that the original solicitor made a mistake, they just can’t do it for the original quote and they are unilaterally reverting to the hourly rate.

I think there was a contract at the original fee and they can’t change it without the agreement of both parties. Needless to say, we don’t feel able to agree a change that will pretty much double the bill to the estate, think from £2,000 to £4,000.

I think we should make a complaint. DB isn’t sure what to do, but we both feel we have been badly treated by this firm, who have failed to carry out our instructions and now seem to be screwing us over on the fees.

Does anyone have any advice?


OP's posts:
to access all these features

Zeldasmagicwand · 11/10/2019 13:26

Treat it like any other contract issue.

Complain to the solicitors firm in writing pointing out that they are in breach of contract and that if they are unwilling to complete the service for the price originally agreed, you will raise a complaint via the Law Society and sue them in the County Court.

to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.