Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How long can I keep quiet at work with no.4???

Diege · 05/06/2008 06:44

Just got my BFP with no. 4. Now I'm not intending to keep pregnancy hidden from work for any length of time, but was hoping to keep it quiet until gone 12 weeks. I know this will be impossible if I get HG again, but bump wise will I get away with it? I have a sense this has been done before on this thread, so apologies, but really interested to hear experiences now that I am an OWL in the making!

OP's posts:
Please
or

cupsoftea · 05/06/2008 07:03

Do you have a desk to sit behind?

Please
or

Diege · 05/06/2008 07:06

I'm a uni' lecturer so am based in an office, so yes have a desk... Is that good? (in that I can hide behind it) or bad?? (in that I won't be able to fit behind it

OP's posts:
Please
or

lulumama · 05/06/2008 07:18

smock tops and eat loads of junk so people think you are just porking up!

congratulations xxxxx

Please
or

Diege · 05/06/2008 07:23

Thanks LULU!! Looks like I'll be asked for info about Warrington doulas sooner than I thought...[Oh and I'll get that book chapter in the post to you next week ; I haven't forgotten, just been snowed under at work!!]

OP's posts:
Please
or

lulumama · 05/06/2008 09:21

don;t you worry ! look after yourself xx

Please
or

EffiePerine · 05/06/2008 09:23

loose tops
skirts not trousers (looks at straining waistband)
eat lots of crisps

I'm planning on keeping quiet till 12 weeks (though have told my boss) but I'm sure it will be bloody obvious by then

Please
or

EffiePerine · 05/06/2008 09:24

oh and someone on my AN thread suggested control uderwear (might get a bit hot though)

Please
or

Anna8888 · 05/06/2008 09:42

I kept it quiet at work until 5 months. And I've had two miscarriages at 3 months and absolutely no-one had realised I was pregnant.

So - yes. You can.

Please
or

Hassled · 05/06/2008 09:55

I think as long as you say nothing you'll be fine - even if colleagues suspect, most people do have the tact not to directly ask (aside from the "When are you due?" prats when you're not even pregnant ).
I didn't tell work I was pregnant with DC3 until past 12 weeks by which stage it was clearly apparent to everyone that I was (the early-morning vomiting was another clue!), but they were all polite enough not to say anything.

Please
or

BeauLocks · 05/06/2008 09:57

I only told my firm after my 20 week scan with ds1 but I did show more quickly with ds2.

Congratulations!

Please
or

cupsoftea · 05/06/2008 11:16

Tuck you tum under the desk - flowing tops & a pile of biscuits next to you will stop anyone asking you why you're getting bigger

Please
or

UptheSquack · 05/06/2008 11:22

Look at you Diege, you're an OWL heehee!

Please
or

Fennel · 05/06/2008 11:30

I kept my 3rd quiet at work til 4 months. Go round muttering about "really needing to lose that baby weight" "must get back in shape". etc. Link the bulge to the previous baby.

Please
or

Diege · 05/06/2008 18:06

I know Squack - have been itching to get onto this thread .
Thanks for all the advice, really helpful tips there . Think 12 weeks will be my limit - my tummy recovered well after dd2, but seems to have given up and curled into a corner since dd3!

OP's posts:
Please
or

evenhope · 05/06/2008 20:54

I didn't tell work until 24 weeks

Nobody noticed, but once I'd told them they all said they couldn't understand why they didn't notice as it was so obvious!

Please
or

Diege · 06/06/2008 06:49

Don't think I could last till 24 weeks!! My students will no doubt suss it out as they are staring at nme for 2 hours solid, and I'm not really a smocky person normally!
Have a feeling HG will get me first anyway and tummy will jusd be a confirmation!

OP's posts:
Please
or

struwellpeter · 06/06/2008 17:54

DH and I managed to keep it a secret from everyone until about 14 weeks.
We flew to Australia on exchange the day I had my 12 week scan and left Christmas cards with the family to say no. 4 was on the way. It did cause a bit of a commotion across the world but really we hadn't wanted to complicate matters before we left as there was enough to think about with house swap, travel etc. Actually, the weeks we kept it as our secret were very special, although I was so sick it was hard to keep a normal outside face.
No.4 was born 6 months into our exchange by which time we had some lovely supporting friends.

Please
or

reban · 12/06/2008 20:32

Hi Diege, ive just managed to get to 13 weeks with my fourth and am relieve i can finally tell everyone at work now. I have been wearing loose tops and refusing to take my suit jacket off for the last 6 weeks!

Please
or

Diege · 13/06/2008 15:58

I'm hoping to tell people at around 13 weeks too reban; hopefully I can last out!. I'm quite petite, but already my waistband is feeling uncomfortable and I'm only 5 weeks . Think smocky tops and top button open will have to do for now!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.