My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

cherie blair and her book...is there no escape..

109 replies

DeeRiguer · 19/05/2008 10:20

serialised in the times, quoted on the news, columnist inches filled with it and argghhh just managed to hit the off button before she reads it out on R4

she must have right good publicist and imo a real brass neck...

OP posts:
TheDevilWearsPrimark · 19/05/2008 10:24

Everywhere, I just don't read it.

Tommy · 19/05/2008 10:25

Daily Service on LW was a better alternative

DeeRiguer · 19/05/2008 10:29

has anyone bought it? seeing as all the 'juicy' bits are for free?

also if she is catholic what is the point of contraceptive 'equipment'? isnt it a bit of a contradiction in terms?

tommy i wish i could get religum i really do some times but it all comes over as a big fairy story to me...

OP posts:
TheDevilWearsPrimark · 19/05/2008 10:34

My mum was going to buy it but I talked her out of it. I pointed out how she had free education, yet I got ripped off under Tony Blairs policies and why should she want to line their pockets (even with the megre 50p ish Cherie will get per book)

Coolmama · 19/05/2008 10:37

I wish she would just dissolve. Like an aspirin. Just disappear.

bossybritches · 19/05/2008 10:48

lol coolmama.......fat chance!!

(nice thought though!)

Tommy · 19/05/2008 10:48

speaking as a Catholic, most people I know follow their own conscience when it comes to artificial contraception (which is what we should do anyway) but with Cherie being so famously Catholic, I wouldn't have though she would have mentioned it in a book - although I think that's pretty distasteful anyway - who wants to hear that? yeuch

Deerigeur - I didn't actually listen to the Daily Service - it was more wafting around in the background while I pottered about - certainly better than her waffling on!

MargaretMountford · 19/05/2008 10:50

If I were her children or Mr Blair I'd be cringing with embarrassment

TheDevilWearsPrimark · 19/05/2008 10:52

I didn't understand that anyway. The 'lackies' may have unpacked for her, but why would they unpack her toiletry bag. Imagine them lining up her cleanser, toothpaste and diaphragm by the sink.

Surely HM The Queen uses contraceptives, or she would have had far more children. Do they root around in her washbagbag?

doggiesayswoof · 19/05/2008 10:52

The most tasteless excerpts seem to be the ones getting airtime (surprise surprise)

What about the bit with her and Tony on the bus after their first date ("let's just say we knew each other much better by the time we got off the bus" bleurgh)

Actually it makes me cross that they made so much fuss about Leo's privacy when he was a baby and now all this stuff is being spilled - what age is he? 10 or 11? His friends must be having a field day - how embarrassing for him.

Total hypocrisy.

DeeRiguer · 19/05/2008 11:10

oh glad am not the only one repulsed by all this personal spilling and blatent money grabbing...

the idea of her disappearing like asprin is a nice one am gonna hold that thought

is there nothing of a private life that remains private now? is everything just cash-able, bankable?
as a professional laydee, she sure rides on the coat tails of the status of her husband...

the education thing completely rankles with me too, once they took full advantage of our free higher education everyone else has to ..pay..
and also the mmr thing, if it was so private at the time why spill now?
i really dont get it or her infact...

OP posts:
frogs · 19/05/2008 11:14

I have posted this link before, but Libby Purves has said all that needs to be said on the subject of Cherie Blair.

IorekByrnison · 19/05/2008 11:17

Totally agree with you Dee Riguer. She's utterly vile! I had no idea until I heard her on Woman's Hour last week where she came over as relentlessly avaricious and self-serving.

FluffyMummy123 · 19/05/2008 11:18

Message withdrawn

doggiesayswoof · 19/05/2008 11:20

frogs, Libby Purves is so right

IorekByrnison · 19/05/2008 11:20

Good article frogs. I like Libby.

OrmIrian · 19/05/2008 11:21

Yuck.

TheFallenMadonna · 19/05/2008 11:21

See, I want to like her.

She's been given, IMO, a pretty hard time for not being Norma Major-like. The comments about her appearance are vile, as are the snidey comments about her use of both her unmarried and married names.

But God she makes it hard...

TheDevilWearsPrimark · 19/05/2008 11:23

Why would you want to like her, is she a friend? What has ever been likeable about her?

The press comments she courts and no doubt loves, positive and negative.

DeeRiguer · 19/05/2008 11:24

frogs will read that later, ta

vile is a good adjective for her iorek!

OP posts:
IorekByrnison · 19/05/2008 11:25

Yes FM - I wanted to like her too. That's what makes it all the more depressing.

ahundredtimes · 19/05/2008 11:27

Yes, I want to like her too.

I want to like her because she was/is a smart, articulate ambitious woman, slightly out of control, insecure, incapable of controlling the 'images' of herself the media put out, because she was attacked for wearing the wrong clothes or looking like a numpty, and there wasn't much she could do about that, because she wanted to do her job, and to have lots of money, and she made lots of bad decisions, and she played second fiddle to her husband, and that must have been quite difficult - I wouldn't like to do that - and because she's emotionally a bit all over the place, and she wants to be liked but also doesn't give a fuck. I also want to like her because I imagine I might have been a bit like her, in the unlikely event my dh became PM.

But agree, she is making v. hard to do so.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ahundredtimes · 19/05/2008 11:30

Also, I want to like her because I hate it when women all gang up and call other deeply flawed women VILE. Because it is unsisterly, and how would you have liked it, and would you have done any better, and sometimes you'd want to PLAY the system, and try to get on top and yet, you probably would end up looking venal and stupid, like she does.

You people have no humanity.

TheFallenMadonna · 19/05/2008 11:32

No, I don't know her at all. I want to like her for the same reasons as 100x. I have more time for fallible people than perfect political wives.

But yikes - I have my fingers in my ears at the moment.

DumbledoresGirl · 19/05/2008 11:33

I heard her talking on Woman's Hour last week.

I know I should admire her on many fronts: a woman with a top career, a woman who is upfront about her Catholicism, a mother of four, a woman who admits appearance and other feminine things were not top of her list of priorities - all this I could admire in her.

But I actually loathe her. What struck me about her is that she had so many controversial issues to defend herself over. There has to be something to say for the likes of Norma Major and other PM's wives who just quietly got on with their lives when in No 10 and did not distract the public attention away from their husbands. That bit of knowledge about Leo being conceived in Balmoral and why was totally totally tacky and distasteful and TMI. It really showed her roots I think.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.