Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

Post Office closures

7 replies

SenoraPostrophe · 16/10/2007 18:02

Is it me, or has this not been discussed yet?

anyhoo...

I've been reading the list of PO closures and am relieved to see our local one isn't on it. But blimey, there are a lot of them on there.

It makes me sad because post offices provide a very much needed service in a lot of places, and should not entirely be judged on profit. And I'm not just talking about rural post offices - sub post offices in city outskirts are fast becoming a thing of the past too.

and speaking of profit...wouldn't it be a bit more if the government (this one and the previous one) didn't keep taking services away from the post office? benefit payments, tv license etc etc.

anyway I found a petition here if anyone's interested.
petitions.pm.gov.uk/PO-Closures/

obviously it doesn't have as many signatures as the one about paying road tax on a per mile/congestion related basis, but presumably that's because journalists don't need post offices.

OP posts:
SenoraPostrophe · 16/10/2007 18:18

and another thing: what is the point in the 6 week consultation? are they expecting people to say "actually yes, I think closing this post office is a really good idea. I'm allergic to red paint and I wish it could become a house instead." ? when people say they don't want their post office to close are the government going to change their minds? (if so, they should really get some better public opinion advice, as they could have avoided the whole thing)

OP posts:
starshaker · 16/10/2007 18:20

is there a link to what post offices are closing

SenoraPostrophe · 16/10/2007 18:22

sorry - one at the bottom of this page
politics.guardian.co.uk/foi/story/0,9061,1384523,00.html

he says some have been reprieved

OP posts:
starshaker · 16/10/2007 18:31

glad to see dh post office is not on there

charliecat · 16/10/2007 18:33

signed

SenoraPostrophe · 16/10/2007 20:37

bump

OP posts:
Hulababy · 16/10/2007 20:42

None closing at all in my town according to that list. I use our local post office quite a big for posting smaller parcels and packages.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.