Please
or
to access all these features

News

Child excluded from school because of allergies

13 replies

Peachy · 28/09/2007 11:45

here

Now am a little miffed that she said her son shouldn't be in the Sn unit because he's well beahved- er no love, SN does not = naughty, but beyond that- surely in this day and age they can cope with an allergy?

OP posts:
Roseylea · 28/09/2007 11:49

That's appalling. I worked at a sec school with a girl who was high-risk anaphylatic, and we were all trained on how to use EpiPens.

The school here is in hige breach of its obligations to this family.

pagwatch · 28/09/2007 11:49

Actually my fav line is...

"He is entitled to a mainstream education like everyone else,"

erm... welll....except the kids in the unit. Or are they not 'everyone'.

( and only commenting on the irony of her position. Would shoot anyone who tried to put DS2 in mainstream. Seriously. Shoot)

coppertop · 28/09/2007 11:49

Unless he was Home Ed'ed then presumably his primary school managed to make the necessary arrangements.

LOL at the idea of SN = naughty. Ds1 is so rule-bound that he couldn't misbehave at school even if his life depended on it.

KerryMum · 28/09/2007 11:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmsMum · 28/09/2007 11:53

Be charitable. this quote may be partial and taken out of context. and its from a mother who is quite understandably distressed at an unacceptable situation.

pagwatch · 28/09/2007 11:56

I am only laughing at her choice of phrase ( as someone who often says numpty thing) .

Not being uncharitable and very at her situation.

( I know it is a little fraught around here just now but it was only a gentle joshing)

EmsMum · 28/09/2007 12:01

I only said that cos I was afraid this thread might kick off on the unfortunate comment rather on the main part about the allergy. ( i dont like smiley but sometimes intent is hard to discern from posts.)

coppertop · 28/09/2007 12:04

EmsMum - It was more of a gentle dig than
anything. Personally I'm shocked that the school is able to do this. Surely it doesn't take that long to be trained how to use an Epi-Pen? Anyone know?

pagwatch · 28/09/2007 12:05

right back at'cha.

There should be an [however I express this I am not being mean and my intent is nice and I am generally a lovely person who would not upset anyone for the world unless they mess with my kids and even babies and pets like me] emocion.

Wonder what that would look like

tortoiseSHELL · 28/09/2007 12:07

This has got to be illegal. When I was teaching in a school there were staff trained to use an epi-pen.

My mum is as allergic as it is possible to be to bees - but she carries an epipen - she is a teacher - and the school knows what to do for any child who needs to use one - or indeed for my mother, who if stung, and if she reacted like last time would be unconcious within 30seconds, and dead within 10 mins.

Peachy · 28/09/2007 12:16

has to be illegal- disability discriminatin act. Saying that LEA's breach that fairly regularly ime.

OP posts:
wheresthehamster · 29/09/2007 16:34

All the staff at my school are trained but there is only 18 of us and the children are supervised all day so if a child needed an epipen it would only take as long as it takes to go and get it from the office. So would be max of 5 mins between assessing the situation and administering.

At secondary school the logistics must be different. Schools are huge, children are unsupervised whilst moving between lessons and possibly other times and is it possible for a staff of over a 100, including any supply, to all be trained all the time? Epipen training is only valid for a year. The member of staff who reaches the child first needs to be the one to use the pen as there would be no time to call for someone else.
Not siding with the school here because I think their attitude is disgusting (if reported correctly of course) but just wondered about how large schools manage to keep tabs on pupils who may need an Epipen administered.
Also do pupils have it on them while doing PE and sports?

wannaBe · 30/09/2007 15:10

they had a spokesperson from the council on 5 live the other day and he said that the child hadn't been excluded at all, that staff were trained etc as they have other children with alergies in the school.

He said that provision had been made for this child, but it was the mother that actually withdrew the child from school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.