Please
or
to access all these features

News

I have two burning questions regarding the 15 sailors

42 replies

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:04

1. Where did they get their suits from

2 How come there are two 'unknown sailors' (in the guardian)
OP posts:
SherlockLGJ · 05/04/2007 10:06

PMSL

DH and I were tittering at the suits last night, not exactly navy issue are they ?

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:07

3 oh and why is the girl looking like a sack of potatoes

OP posts:
SueBaroo · 05/04/2007 10:07

dunno about the unknown sailors, but the Iranians gave them their suits, surely?

Lazycow · 05/04/2007 10:08

They were a present from the Iranian government to wear for the conference. I notided that the female sailor was given a headscarf to wear.

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:08

so did they take their sizes at some point?

OP posts:
Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:09

lazycow - how do you know?

and when they return to the UK will we have given them better suits?

OP posts:
ViscountessLittleEasterLapin · 05/04/2007 10:10
  1. Probably provided either a) by the Iranians or b) from their ship via diplomatic channels

1. What does the Guardian say?
Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:10

The guardian lists all the sailors and names them apart form two 'unknown sailors'

OP posts:
Carmenere · 05/04/2007 10:11

The Times said they(the suits) were provided by the Iranians and the two unknown sailor were I'd imagine the ones of higher rank who did actually know that they were not in Iranian waters and so were kept away from the junior ranks.

TinyGang · 05/04/2007 10:12

Question no2 has been intriguing me too. I wondered if they might be special agents or something.

Hadn't noticed the suits but I'll be looking out for them now!

ViscountessLittleEasterLapin · 05/04/2007 10:12

There are 14 names in the Guardian from April 3rd... looks like their subs can't count OR spell!

There is one who hasn't been shown in the news hereand his face is obscured in the photographs ; I think there's a fairly obvious explanation for that...

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:13

there is one of the sailors who is not smiling - and his suit does not fit... I wonder if they are related

OP posts:
ViscountessLittleEasterLapin · 05/04/2007 10:15

The RM captain has been named, and he would have been the highest ranking onboard, since it was only a boarding party... yawn about them really being in Iranian waters

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:15

lapin - what is that explanation?

In the guardian today they are all shown - all have pictures.

Actually one looks like Ben Fogle

OP posts:
ViscountessLittleEasterLapin · 05/04/2007 10:19

LOL I know, Beety, I thought he was cute

The pics I have seen show one guy looking down and it's a very vague picture... and on the news last night, they showed 14 pics and 1 silhouette... I asked DH why, and he said either the family have asked for his picture not to be shown, or the sailor/marine in question might be, um, covert in his training... if the Grauniad have clear pics of all 15, maybe its the former.

Lazycow · 05/04/2007 10:20

One of the newsreaders mentioned it on the news last night. He said the men they 'wearing suits given to them by the president'. That is all they said though
I am assuimg he meant the Iranian president

Carmenere · 05/04/2007 10:25

That is a bit dismissive and patronising Lapin, I didn't know that it has been defined as to who waters they actually were in and I was only hypothisising as to why two sailors may not be known.

saltire · 05/04/2007 10:26

Littlelapin, my DH gave exactly the same reasons as your DH for the sailor whose face is obscured. I did think though that they might have given the woman something nicer to wear - ie she looked like she was wearing really casual clothes and the men were all smart in suits. I keep shouting at the TV when the news reporters (the BBC are bad for it) call them soldiers. They aren't soldiers, they are sailors

And your name gets longer every time i see it

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:26

I am just imagining they all being measured by the local tailor.

OP posts:
NOTCADBURYCremeSquonk · 05/04/2007 10:28

I understood that the unknowns were unknown because their families had refused for their details to be released to the media.

NOTCADBURYCremeSquonk · 05/04/2007 10:28

beetroocio - I don't think any of them were measured! If they were, they got the measurements wrong

Beetrootccio · 05/04/2007 10:30

squonk

some fit pretty well but some really don't!!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NOTCADBURYCremeSquonk · 05/04/2007 10:44

I've only seen the ones that really, really don't!

Aloha · 05/04/2007 10:45

It's not doing much for the reputation of the Iranian tailoring industry!

Freckle · 05/04/2007 10:50

I think it has been defined where the boarding party was. The Iranians originally gave the same coordinates as the British and US for their position, which clearly placed them in Iraqui waters. The Iranians then changed their coordinates to show them as being in Iranian waters. Did they think no one would notice??

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.