Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Housekeeping

Can I wash kids shoes in the machine?

12 replies

lukewarmmama · 05/02/2011 20:47

DD had a wee accident (literally) and her shoes (leather Clarks jobbies) are soaked through. Can I bung them in the washing machine or would that be an expensive error?
tia

OP posts:
Please
or

peachybums · 05/02/2011 20:49

Do you have a special shoes setting on your washer? We do and ive put clarks in there before and they have been ok.

Please
or

lukewarmmama · 05/02/2011 21:11

A shoes setting???! No, never heard of that! Do you think a hand wash setting on low spin would do?

OP posts:
Please
or

Carrotsandcelery · 05/02/2011 23:05

I have washed leather trainers and they came up brilliantly. I washed leather slippers though and they were ruined. Sorry not much help but it will bump this if nothing else. Grin

Please
or

bubbles4 · 06/02/2011 05:43

I wash leather trainers on synhetic seitting (30 degrees)and turn the spin speed down to 400.

Please
or

ragged · 06/02/2011 06:06

I've always done it, never think about twice, agree that 30 degrees is best.

Please
or

lukewarmmama · 06/02/2011 13:32

Alrighty, thanks all, will let the shoes take the plunge then...

OP posts:
Please
or

peachybums · 06/02/2011 13:54

I think if you put them on a cool wash and dont spin them they should be ok. Yes i have a shoes setting its great for trainers, slippers, shoes and DD2s changing bag lol.

Please
or

lukewarmmama · 06/02/2011 14:03

Hmmm, do you think I can justify buying a new washing machine with a shoes setting? [ponders cost/benefit ratio, decides probably not]

OP posts:
Please
or

peachybums · 06/02/2011 19:03

Haha when my old washing machine broke i actually went looking for one with a shoe setting as I love clean slippers and DS's shoes are always muddy!

Please
or

Alouiseg · 06/02/2011 19:05

I always wash trainers and uggs in the machine but I'd be interested to know what temperature and spin speed is on the "official" shoe setting?

Please
or

lukewarmmama · 07/02/2011 09:06

Well, I've put them in on a 30 degree mixed load wash, with lowest spin 600 on.... Fingers crossed....

OP posts:
Please
or

peachybums · 07/02/2011 13:29

According to my manual the shoes setting is a 30 wash and a 600rpm spin. You can wash a max of 2 pairs of shoes. So basically if you put it on a wool wash they should be fine :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?