Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

edinburgh

7 replies

candy · 22/06/2003 19:51

Hi I'm looking for a family-friendly affordable place to stay in Edinburgh at the beginning of August? Any ideas much appreciated!

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 22/06/2003 20:33

Hi candy! I live in Edinburgh, so am completely useless when it comes to hotels, but I can help with child-friendly restaurants and so on. I think it's safe to say that there are no genuinely family friendly hotels in Edinburgh in the sense that they market themselves like that- the nearest is Peebles Hydro, but that's probably about 15-20 miles away. There are some nice guest houses, but it depends whether you want B+B or something more luxurious. Tell me more and I'll try and help!

Please
or

mmm · 23/06/2003 08:13

Could you stay about 20 miles SE of Edinburgh ? I know of a campsite with chalets called Carfraemill Campsite (I think)As I'm sure you know it's the Festival or near it and things get really hectic and booked up. Lots of people rent out their appartments during that time. I haven't any contacts for that though.

Please
or

Tigger2 · 23/06/2003 14:30

Hi Candy try visiting \www.visitscotland.com\accommodation

Please
or

M2T · 23/06/2003 14:34

Stirling or Falkirk are probably going to be your best bets for accomodation in August. As you probably know the Fringe Festival is on and accomodation will probably be scarce and expensive.

Stirling and Falkirk are very easily accessable to Edinburgh by road and rail. In fact Falkirk has half hourly express service which takes only 23mins!

Worth looking into as well.

Is it a holiday? Where are you coming up from??

Please
or

candy · 23/06/2003 20:38

Thanx everyone. Am coming up from Birmingham and visiting family nr Perth but wanted to stop for a few days on the way and have already stayed in Glasgow. I realise it's the festival, which frankly is a blooming pain, as everyone hoists their prices up - so thankyou all for the ideas outside Edinburgh. I'll go and have another browse!

OP posts:
Please
or

maddysmummy · 27/01/2004 21:50

Hi,
I've started a Yahoo Group called Edinburgh Mums and want to get it off to a good start with lots of mums so we can chat and meet up. You can join at groups.yahoo.com/group/Edinburgh_Mums/ It's great because once you join you can post a message by simply sending an e-mail to [email protected] and everyone in the group gets sent the same email so no-one misses out! I hope to hear from all you Edinburgh (or nearby) mumsnetters soon!
Trudi

Please
or

Quackers · 28/01/2004 09:59

There are loads of fab hotels in Edinburgh. Superbreak generally are the cheapest and most efficient way of booking and you can review the hotels on line. I remember Le Meridien being very family friendly and even had a play area for them and baby listening/sitting. It's near the theatre and walking distanceto the centre/attractions!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?