Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How late can you fly to America

5 replies

shellyk · 26/05/2003 22:14

I am 20 weeks pregnant and want to go to America for a short holiday. Can anyone tell me how late I can go on a plane. ALso do I need special insurance incase there is a problem?

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

nobby · 26/05/2003 22:21

Afraid I don't know the dates - but DO ask for an upgrade. We went to the US on Virgin when I was pregnant and got upgraded to First. It was really, really fabulous. Sadly on the way back the lady on the desk in the States said: 'You want first class, you pay for it'. Boo.

Please
or

Ghosty · 26/05/2003 22:24

I went to South Africa at 25 weeks pg ... I think the date is 32 weeks isn't it? The reason being that they don't want you to go into labour on the plane ...

Please
or

tamum · 26/05/2003 22:39

I flew to the US at 30 weeks, back at 32 weeks. I had to have a letter from my GP saying that was basically fit (no high blood pressure etc), but I think it depends on the airline. Once you've decided wo to fly with contact them directly and ask what their guidelines are. Have fun!

Please
or

Nome · 26/05/2003 22:53

It depends on the airline (BA told me I could fly up to 36 weeks if I had a note from GP), but most travel insurance only seems to cover you until 28 weeks. I flew to US at 26 weeks for 10 days. Upgraded on way out, but on way back was 'pre-allocated' a seat as far away from the loo as poss. I also had to climb over two people and wriggle round reclined chairs in front of me. Bit annoying for all concerned after third time... My insurance covered me for pg related stuff until 28 weeks, when it excluded all pg stuff.

Please
or

CumbrianLass · 27/05/2003 08:42

I was allowed to fly up until 35 weeks. And I did. Uncomfortably, but safely

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?